G37 Sedan

Took My Second Test Drive Today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
I suppose. I really, really, really do wish my local dealership wasn't so terrible though - I like to be a loyal customer!

As for the bimmer issue, what's the point of having a good recommendation from CR when in reality, so many bmw owners are having car issues? It's subjective...depending on the BMW owners you know. You know what I mean (lol)? But even so, I'm sure they had reason to say so
Well what's the percentage? I know a lot of people with BMWs, most of the cars in the bimmer crowd just keeps on chugging along. You can't tell the 50,000 foot reliability by reading a forum.

And, Infiniti by no means is excluded.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
Yeah. I guess I am looking for all the following, especially leaving Bimmer:

1. Upscale interior including a very good/great stereo.
2. Something less grandpa than the Lexus experience, but not boy racer, either.
3. A deal that makes sense financially.

Not sure I would ever be happy sitting in a quasi-lame plastic interior while making a less-than-small car payment every month.
The G does all of those 3 things better then the 3 series.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
The G does all of those 3 things better then the 3 series.
The aluminum interior is ugly, the accents are a different color. The bimmer interior is much nicer than the standard Infiniti interior. As far as 3 goes none of the ELLPS cars make any type of financial sense. A used Electra makes financial sense not a $45k sedan. A bimmer certainly doesn't make any less sense than am Infiniti. Just my .$02.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 PM
JMP0323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 series interior = yawn... Nuff said.

Originally Posted by g37guy01
The aluminum interior is ugly, the accents are a different color. The bimmer interior is much nicer than the standard Infiniti interior. As far as 3 goes none of the ELLPS cars make any type of financial sense. A used Electra makes financial sense not a $45k sedan. A bimmer certainly doesn't make any less sense than am Infiniti. Just my .$02.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by JMP0323
3 series interior = yawn... Nuff said.
Standard Infiniti interiors are ugly. I'd rather have yawn than ugly lol
Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 AM
JMP0323

^

HAHAHAHA. This coming from the guy that bought a "2011 G37x"!
That's what your suppose to do I guess... Shop around for the vehicle with the ugliest interior and then buy that car. LOL.

The stereo unit, drab gauges and nasty steering wheel is enough to put anyone to sleep in a 3 series.
And RELIABILITY!!! Well... We won't even get into that with BMW's.

Last edited by JMP0323; 11-17-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I like the Gs interior, sure it's got a fair amount of plastic but the surfaces you come in contact w/ the most have a good feel and at least mine (in both of my Gs) held up well. I like that it's not too complicated, pretty simple and very functional. The only real sour taste I have w/ these cars is the pathetically fragile paint, seems like I'm finding new chips scratches on this car every day. I've got at least 60 chips on it now
I'll take good solid performance & reliability (not to mention a lot of fun) over a rather simple interior any day. Plus the car looks pretty damn good rolling down the road (even if the basic look is now 5-6 years old).
Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Gopher

Originally Posted by shabadoo25
Yeah. I guess I am looking for all the following, especially leaving Bimmer:

1. Upscale interior including a very good/great stereo.
2. Something less grandpa than the Lexus experience, but not boy racer, either.
3. A deal that makes sense financially.

Not sure I would ever be happy sitting in a quasi-lame plastic interior while making a less-than-small car payment every month.
I am difficult to please as well and just bought an 09 g37x coming from a fully loaded 2003 BMW 540i. I'm a little numb to the 'upgrade' so far... not remorse, per se, just... numb. I doubt I'll love another car as much as that one, but for the performance I wanted coupled with reasonable luxury and practicality for my family it was an ok choice... I guess.

Def no comparing the interiors or equipment (not that it would be fair as my 5er was maxed out and this g37x is basically base) but its something I notice immediately... I'm also concerned reading about squeaks coming from crappy plastic bits. I heard something last night I didn't hear when test driving mine.

I love the acceleration, but definitely miss my deceleration... The curb weight difference between this and my old car was only 100 pounds and the Bimmer stopped much better (or at least had a far superior brake feel).

We shall see how this goes, I guess... Good luck on your search, I wanted to like the Acura idea but couldn't and the Lexus I'd budget for weren't any fun. A part of me wonders if I shoulda gone for a higher mile 335.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Standard Infiniti interiors are ugly. I'd rather have yawn than ugly lol
Standard or loaded, they all have the same dash and they all have a screen. 3 series has fake leather, no screen, manual seats.. The list goes on. As far as plastics go, every door panel is soft, even the bottoms. The dash is soft and pretty much the only plastic piece is the under part of the steering wheel.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Plus the car looks pretty damn good rolling down the road (even if the basic look is now 5-6 years old).
They look like sex at night when following one. Personally, I think the g37S looks more aggressive than the 335 which is a good trait to have for a semi-luxury coupe.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
All I have to say, is that you have to be a ROYAL car snob if you think this is a cheap and chintsy interior...

THIS is a cheap and chintsy interior
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Standard or loaded, they all have the same dash and they all have a screen. 3 series has fake leather, no screen, manual seats.. The list goes on. As far as plastics go, every door panel is soft, even the bottoms. The dash is soft and pretty much the only plastic piece is the under part of the steering wheel.
Wow are you misinformed. BMW has more build options than Infiniti, having said that a 335 with fake leather or a 335 with real leather has the same performance and will leave the g37 in the dust.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by JMP0323
^

HAHAHAHA. This coming from the guy that bought a "2011 G37x"!
That's what your suppose to do I guess... Shop around for the vehicle with the ugliest interior and then buy that car. LOL.

The stereo unit, drab gauges and nasty steering wheel is enough to put anyone to sleep in a 3 series.
And RELIABILITY!!! Well... We won't even get into that with BMW's.
I bought the interior accents upgrade. Aluminum was just too ugly. As I said even cr recommends the 3 series. And reliability shall we talk about the tranny issues among others. At least the BMW is very drive able.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow are you misinformed. BMW has more build options than Infiniti, having said that a 335 with fake leather or a 335 with real leather has the same performance and will leave the g37 in the dust.
It won't leave the G37 in the dust assuming both have decent tires and decent drivers. Sure it has an edge but not as significant as blowing the doors off a G. I ran w/ a 335 coupe on the road from I40 to Wickenburg AZ, had a blast trying to keep up w/ it and it never got too far ahead, sure it was a bit tighter at high speed turns but straight blasts the G held its' own. Even the Bimmer owner was surprized
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM
shabadoo25

Lots of strong opinions here, which of course I expected.

Several posters brought up the "bargain 3 series" comment. I've been reading this forum for months, and the 2 things G owners always mention when comparing to BMW is reliability and affordability between similarly optioned cars.

As for interiors, to each his own. To me, the TL's interior blows away the G. Also, the button cluster is not hard to operate at all and much faster to use than the voice commands.

Quick Reply: Took My Second Test Drive Today...