G37 Sedan

Windshield question/issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Antsmarchn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield question/issues

I was just curious if people are seeing a lot of chips/cracks with the windshield in the G? I have been driving for nearly 20 years and am on my 2nd G sedan, but have had more problems with this windshield than with all other cars combined. I am about to have my 3rd crack repaired by safelite and when speaking to the rep he said they have seen a huge amount of 2007+ G sedans and coupes coming in with crack and chips. He said no other Infiniti has this many issues and he didn't see many problems with the pre-2006s either. I was just wondering if this is common or I have incredibly bad luck?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you are having bad luck.
I've put on a little over 16,000 miles, on my 2010 and so far just one small chip. I had it filled.
Over the years I've become more **** in the way I drive. I spend as little as time as possible behind or along side p/u's, dump trucks, semis, etc.
On the highway I wait until I can get completely in front of them before I pass. If there is a slower driver passing a truck I will hold back at a safe distance, until it is clear enough to make a complete pass.
When there are more then 2 lanes in each direction, I try to go an extra lane over when passing trucks.
Tom
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
cy7878

the BMW I had back in 2003 was the worse. every time a pebble touches the windshield, a chip or crack will happen. I had the thing repaired 3 times in 12 months.

So far the G has been okay.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
zoner

Must be that 100+ you are doing on the freeway.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think part of the problem with getting windshield chips these days has a lot to do with the way people don't give a $4it about how they haul stuff in trucks and trailers and more trash on the highways.
I get more rocks hitting my car from trucks on the highways these days than I remember in the past...most people on the roads really don't care if they do things that damage other people's cars.
About six months ago my car was hit by an object that came off a truck hauling construction materials. I tired to get him to stop for miles, but he ignored me and wouldn't stop. A little later he was involved in an accident with someone else so I stopped too. While standing on the side of the highway while waiting for the police, I couldn't help but notice how much crap was on the side of the road that could damage people's cars.
There is way too much stuff on the roads that fell off people's vehicles.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
cy7878

I agree w ^^^^^ that there are way too many truck hauling crap.

It only takes a tarp cover to avoid debris falling out and damaging people's cars
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
STEAMROLL9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the first month of picking up my 2010 G37x I would get chips very easily. Then after the hurricane here in NY, driving on the parkway, WACK, nice chip and crack. Went through insurance and they filled it, if u could call it that. Now there is a big white dot with a crack on either end. Will be bitching to insurance company to replace...
Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
blitzebill

I have an 09 sedan and had two stones hit my windshield within the past week. Can't find a trace of damage, no chips, nothing.

I may have gotten lucky, or this windshield is a good one!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

ive had my G37 for almost 6 months and now i have to replace the windshield. that sucks! i feel y'all on this one.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Windshield damage is luck of the draw. Our '09 G37xS sedan has almost 15K and the windshield has survived some incredibly tough midwestern winters, as well as tons of sand on Colorado roads.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Infiniti's windshield is cheap, my coupe windshield lasted me 10k miles and had to be replaced because it was badly pitted. They installed a new one (oem infiniti) and within a week I had deep pits, mind you this was summer and not even winter..
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
zoner

I wouldn't suspect that glass quality varies much from brand to brand as they probably source form a few suppliers. I think it is the luck of the draw. I have driven 19K and not a chip. My wife on the other hand has chipped every car she has owned.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Antsmarchn
I was just curious if people are seeing a lot of chips/cracks with the windshield in the G? I have been driving for nearly 20 years and am on my 2nd G sedan, but have had more problems with this windshield than with all other cars combined. I am about to have my 3rd crack repaired by safelite and when speaking to the rep he said they have seen a huge amount of 2007+ G sedans and coupes coming in with crack and chips. He said no other Infiniti has this many issues and he didn't see many problems with the pre-2006s either. I was just wondering if this is common or I have incredibly bad luck?
I don't believe this is just Infiniti thing, new paints and glasses are equally crappy on most cars nowadays. The G37ers need to slow down, but I understand it's just too hard to drive gently with so much power under command.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I try not to follow too closely... If there's a pickup truck or semi in front, I'll change lanes right away.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with some here. Stop tailgating on the highway (and if you have multiple stone chips then you are tailgating often) and leave at least 4 car lengths behind a normal sized car and 5 or 6 car lengths between you and a truck if you are forced to drive behind one because of traffic. While getting chips can be bad luck sometimes, most times it's because people are way too much impatient and feel that one car length is sufficient to trail someone and getting to a destination 10 seconds sooner is more important than having multiple stone chips.

Body shops will tell you that cars these days are more susceptible to stone chips blah, blah, blah but thay just want you to keep driving the way you're driving because it's good for business. It's just that we are all more impatient these days and traffic is heavier and more congested so everybody is fed up and tailgate like crazy and then lots of replaced windshields. If you look on the highway any given day at least 75% of drivers follow at less than 2 car lengths behind at 60MPH or more.

Quick Reply: Windshield question/issues