G37 Sedan

Got hit. Is the car totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
JJsBusaRox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn! Sorry to see this. Good thing is you are alright. I hope they catch that F'er!!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
irrelevant

As frustrating as it is, I agree with pulling over and not continuing the chase.

You've got the license plate, what more is there you can accomplish? You're driving a vehicle with unknown damage at high speed down roads with other vehicles present. Doesn't exactly sound like the prelude to a happy ending. Let the police handle it.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
SimpsonTide985

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they catch that bastard!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
cy7878

They will only total the car if (from what I have heard over the years)
repair exceeds 80% of replacement value or
frame damage.

The new cars now don't really have a "frame" any more. The chassis is modular and can be replaced.
FWIW, if it was me, I would hope they total the car so I can get a new one even if I have to pay some money.

Good luck. Hopefully you're insured for uninsured motorist. Anyone to risk a hit and run is likely not insured.

Glad you are okay. Time to check your policy also for medical, in case you're hurt.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Thanks everyone. I spoke to the insurance today and they are sending an adjuster out tomorrow to inspect the car. I have GAP insurance as well as uninsured motorist and everything. But like some have said, even with GAP insurance, I think I would rather have it totalled and get a replacement car. With damage like this, you never know how the repair will turn out, and the car is never the same after that. I am thankful I am ok. So far, I don't feel like I have any medical issues. But I will give it a day or 2 to see if anything hurts. The last 3 digits of the guy's plate that is left imprinted on my car matches the plate number I reported to CHP. So I hope they catch him and able to do something. I will keep everyone updated. Just trying to keep a level head and deal with this as best as possible right now.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Rickblkg

Looks like its going to be totaled, but glad to know your safe. If it is i say salvage it and fix it up. Damage is bad but if their is no frame damage your clear.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Rickyay

god bless you. yea this car is totaled man. file an insurance claim and try to make them pay for your new car. oh yea, try sue whoever hit you too, if the crash wasn't your fault. salvage your wheels, and your airbags too, they are worth a bunch.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a douche hit me and run away, too. Back in 1993.

Insurance covered everything.

I fkucing HATE people who try to run from responsibility... you effed up, you make it right. Asspipes.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're OK; the damage looks substantial, you're better off if they total the car.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
imagine if this run away guy gets caught by all us G37 drivers, he'd having a good time in the hospital
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
xlack
Registered Member

damn he's in deep shiet once CHP catches him.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
ATL-G37s

Sniper27, I can feel your pain. The same thing happened to me 7/15/2010. I had my brand new G37s sedan for 4 months when someone slammed into me at 55 mph. My car ended up being totaled out.
This car wreck is going to be a process for you and is going to require time (1-2 months), energy and research on your part to insure that you get the best deal out of the insurance company.
1- Will they find the other driver and do they have insurance?
2- If they do not find the other driver or if they do not have insurance then you will have to file a claim with your own insurance company. If you do this, you will pay your deductible and the car will be repaired or totaled out based on the agreement you reach. Under current laws, your insurance company cannot raise your rate if you file on your own insurance. If this is the route you take and they try to raise your rate, call your insurance commissioner.
3 - Is your car a total loss? The insurance company (yours or theirs if they find him and he is insured) will send an adjuster to estimate the cost to repair your car. After the insurance company does their estimate, the body shop will conduct their own. Often times they will be very far apart (in my case the insurance company said the damage was $12K and the body shop had the estimate with supplements at $27K). My car had rear frame rail damage, and extensive body damage. Keep in mind that the insurance adjuster's estimate to repair will be based only on visual inspection and not a full tear-down like the body shop conducts.
You will need to find out what formula the insurance company uses to determine a total loss: is it if the repairs are greater than the replacement cost minus the salvage sale at auction? This varies by insurance company. Just keep telling the insurance adjuster that you want the car to total. Be nice. At times this will be hard, but the adjuster is the one making the decisions.
4 - IF your car is considered a total loss (economic or physical condition) the real fun will begin. The insurance company will send an appraiser to value your vehicle to determine how big of a check to write you. It is imperative that you review their appraisal for accuracy: year, model, packages, accessories, condition, mileage.The insurance company will play with all of these variables to value your car as low as possible.
After the insurance company details the vehicle's value pre-crash, they will use a third party like CCC Information services or Audatex. These companies use an online data base of cars to value your vehicle based on what comparable vehicles are selling for in your area (comps). Usually they find a minimum of 3 cars to perform the valuation.
Here is where you have to be real careful, as often times the comps do not have the same packages, mileage or are not in the same condition.
You will need to do some research on total loss claims. The insurance company's first offer for your car will be low and you will have to "fight" (nicely) with them to get the true value. You can even pay an outside company for a value estimate if necessary.
If the car is a total loss and you accept the settlement, they will write you a check and you hand them the keys; you cannot take parts off the car like other people have suggested.
5 - IF the insurance company will not total out the car and they do repair it, make sure the repairs are to your satisfaction before signing any settlement. Try to have the car repaired at an Infiniti body shop.
In many states, if the car is repaired you are entitled to the diminished value of the car: value of the car pre-wreck minus the value post wreck. After the car is repaired, it is not worth as much. In many states you can get paid this difference.
The first step in this process is to educate yourself as much as possible on total loss claims. You can google the topic and find a ton of good information. Time is on your side as the adjusters will want to close the claim as soon as possible; their case load is huge and they are paying for your rental car.
PM me if you have any questions and I hope this helps. If is hard to fit 2 months of research and interaction into one post.
Attached Thumbnails Got hit. Is the car totalled?-back-end.jpg   Got hit. Is the car totalled?-img_0151.jpg  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
cvroom

my other car was totalled out 2 weeks ago (ive already talked about it in several other posts.) some kid ran the intersection after the light turned red while my wife was turning left. thankfully she was completely uninjured. dealing with the insurance and finding a car to fit in our budget was a big pain in the ***. yes it was just a 11 year old accord but it i kept it in great shape for 11 years and i didnt want to have another car payment for another 3 years, especially since the g's is pretty large. anyway things worked out good i think in the end. got a nice 7k for the accord and put it towards a nice lease on a '11 kia optima that fits in our budget quite nice.

hopefully after all the dust settles and all the fighting dealing with insurance to get your money is done, things will turn up as good or better than before.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Rickblkg

ATL was correct about taking off part If I was you I would do it now. That happen to my IS and all I had was a Audio system and they would let me take out.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Itchytoe

If there isn't any frame or drivetrain related damage, I doubt it will be totaled. It honestly doesn't look that bad to me. Probably hurt, but I don't think it's a total loss.

Quick Reply: Got hit. Is the car totalled?