Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G37 vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
i was looking at the TLs too when i got my G. one of the biggest reasons why i went with the G is cuz of the power; that was the deciding factor for me
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get both. One for you and one for the family.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by sarge_in
I may test drive the G37 once more just to be sure. I suspect it may still come down to bit more space for the family and little smoother ride. But the kid in me is not ready to let go of sporty ambitions either. Decisions, decisions..
My 7 year old son always want to ride in my Infiniti over my Acura! He want me to keep it in good condition so that he could drive it once he get his driver license.

Last edited by HappyG; 09-20-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
Whoa you pay $120 for an oil change every 3750 miles???
I don't....but that's what the dealer charges for Nissan Ester oil changes; I use Mobile 1 and change every 5,000. That said, the suggested maintenance schedule on the G is much more frequent than the TL.

Last edited by financeman; 09-20-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by cy7878

I think the TL and not really a good comparison to the G for all the reasons stated above. But Acura and Infiniti dealers are comparable in terms of level of service and amenities. Lexus, BMW and MB are still a step above when it comes to lounge area, refreshments served and loaner cars....
Really, how so?

My dealer gives you the same, or better loaner than the car you drive. Nice "lounge" with two separate rooms. One with tv for those who want to watch and another with computer and cell phone ports for people who want to do work. Plenty of refreshments and some of the the nicest people I have ever dealt with at a dealership.
My parents drive nothing but Mercedes, but when it comes to service and dealer amenities, they say it's not what it should be, especially when you spend that much on a car. At MB, even if you drive an S class, they give you a C class as a loaner. At my Infiniti dealer I drove a convertible for a loaner last time.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
A couple things to confirm:
1) I heard that Infiniti locks you out of NAV during motion. True?
2) How good is video playback from USB drives? Formats? This is one feature the TL does not have, despite having a more advanced unit. A third-party add-on product is in the works it seems.

Thanks for all the input!
1) true to an extent. It just stops letting you type in to the Nav system, but voice still works fine. It does let you do a limited amount of things so it doesn't totally lock you out. When the passenger can't operate it though it seems kind of stupid. But you can still find things like previous destinations and like I say voice still works.

2) From a USB device I do not know. It works good from a DVD but once again when you are moving it locks you from seeing the DVD. You can listen though. When you are parked it makes you put the car in park and put the emergency brake on. Not sure if this would be different with a USB device.

Anyway once again the TL is probably going to be the wiser choice. You just can't expect the performance. The TL has some giddy up anyway and can be fun to drive on a road with tight curves. The kid in you can still come out when you want.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
novaleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdg37
Another note on price... I got my G for $5300 below MSRP, and I didn't even really haggle... just went with Truecar pricing.
This

go to truecar dot com and price out the G (or any car for that matter)...invoice is a made up number...truecar will tell you the dealers real cost

ps- the TL is butt ugly, fwd, and doesn't handle as well as the G...in my opinion, there is no difficult decision to make
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, you can do comparisons in several dimensions: price, size, has certain features or performance, etc. Not every person has a particular one that is the single most important, so I wouldn't worry too much about what category some "expert reviewer" puts them into.

If comparing by size, the TL is about the same size as the Infiniti M37
TL dimensions: 194 x 74 x 57.2
M37 dimensions: 194.7 x 72.6 x 59.1

The G37 is definitely a smaller footprint: 187.9 x 69.8 x 57.2. You might be surprised at what a couple-few inches in width make, if you see the cars side by side.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
One question - has Honda/Acura figured out their automatic transmission issues?

I know some of us may not like how the 7AT shifts, but so far at least it hasnt fallen apart.....
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Really, how so?

My dealer gives you the same, or better loaner than the car you drive. Nice "lounge" with two separate rooms. One with tv for those who want to watch and another with computer and cell phone ports for people who want to do work. Plenty of refreshments and some of the the nicest people I have ever dealt with at a dealership.
My parents drive nothing but Mercedes, but when it comes to service and dealer amenities, they say it's not what it should be, especially when you spend that much on a car. At MB, even if you drive an S class, they give you a C class as a loaner. At my Infiniti dealer I drove a convertible for a loaner last time.

My local MB and BMW dealers give you a loaner the minute you drop off a car.

My local infiniti and acura dealers sits you in a lounge with 10 other people unless you spent more than $300 on service.

My local MB and BMW serves pastries and has a soda fountain.
My local Infiniti and acura gives you a coffee maker and water. want a snack? but it from a vending machine.

Small things matter, IMO.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM
tejasg37x

My local MB and BMW dealers give you a loaner the minute you drop off a car.

My local infiniti and acura dealers sits you in a lounge with 10 other people unless you spent more than $300 on service.

My local MB and BMW serves pastries and has a soda fountain.
My local Infiniti and acura gives you a coffee maker and water. want a snack? but it from a vending machine.

Small things matter, IMO.
My Infiniti dealer gives you a loaner too; unless you want to wait because it's just a short service.

My Infiniti dealer also has the drinks, good coffee, and pastries. But if you are getting a loaner every time, you don't really need those things.

I think the key here is, you can't generalize and say it's by brand...a lot of it depends on the individual dealer.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
My Infiniti dealer gives you a loaner too; unless you want to wait because it's just a short service.

My Infiniti dealer also has the drinks, good coffee, and pastries. But if you are getting a loaner every time, you don't really need those things.

Good to know. I guess it all depends on where you are....
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
tejasg37x

Good to know. I guess it all depends on where you are....
Probably so...

I also haven't had to take my Acura, Nissan, or Infiniti to the dealer as much as other people I know have to do with their MB, BMW, or Audi.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I also get pastries at Infiniti, and they have a soda fountain, tea, hot chocolate, etc etc.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Rickblkg

At my Infiniti dealer we get ice cream, hot coco, coffee, cookie, juice, etc. Also we get free loaners as well, last time they have me a 2010 g37....

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL