G37 Sedan

G37 vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I owned a 3rd generation TL....great car though the seats and dash board had a lot of problems with premature wear. I don't see those kinds of problems....yet, in my 13 month old G. That said, you really need to calculate and compare the cost of maintenance. My G is extremely expensive to maintain; an ester based oil change every 3,750 miles (about $120) vs. a mineral oil change every 6,000 miles on the TL. Its my understanding the 2011 G can use regular mineral oil without the ticking noises that sometimes afflicted the earlier Gs.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Ac2Infiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came out of a 3rd gen TL and was also considering simply going into the newer body. While the TL has a nicer interior and sound system after driving the G it felt underpowered and not nearly as fun to drive.

As for reliability, you came from a 1998 Altima essentially a G is going to have a little better reliability and quality than that same nissan product. I mistakenly got rid of my 97 maxima that had over 200K on the clock and was still a workhorse because I thought it was "time" to get a newer car. Basically, with these two brands reliability is likely going to be the same.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '11 seats are pretty darn good, but I did go for the TSX over the '10 G. Something wasn't quite up to par in it.

Go for a darker interior...both will age better when darker...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
rod_b

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like the TL would be right for you. I always believed the TL was Acura's mid-sized luxury sedan and not really in the same class as the G, 3 series and IS (sport-luxury sedan). Price-wise, the vehicles are similar but the vehicle purposes are different. Good luck with your purchase
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Rickblkg

Originally Posted by sarge_in
Yes I did drive the SH-AWD as well. This one has certainly improved handling and the ride is very close to G37. The drawbacks are that is an expensive option to add, has a lower MPG and drives slightly rougher. I would still have taken this if it were not as expensive to add. It is still in the consideration though..

BMW is an excellent ride - but their options are ridiculously priced and reports of maintenance costs make it a weak choice for owning (but great for leasing). Lexus was just plain boring - ride as well as interiors. Which is why I came down to TL vs G37. As most of you mentioned, it comes down to personal preferences in terms of performance / comfort / styling (exterior and interior) etc.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I bought my G. Honestly the 328x caught my attention it wasn't that fast but handling and power where amazing... Then I realized the G resells for 3-4k more and maintenance is cheaper.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by financeman
I owned a 3rd generation TL....great car though the seats and dash board had a lot of problems with premature wear. I don't see those kinds of problems....yet, in my 13 month old G. That said, you really need to calculate and compare the cost of maintenance. My G is extremely expensive to maintain; an ester based oil change every 3,750 miles (about $120) vs. a mineral oil change every 6,000 miles on the TL. Its my understanding the 2011 G can use regular mineral oil without the ticking noises that sometimes afflicted the earlier Gs.
Whoa you pay $120 for an oil change every 3750 miles???
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
Whoa you pay $120 for an oil change every 3750 miles???
Your overpaying my friend. 1 you don't need ester oil just get full synthetic. 2 you don't need to do it every 3750 miles. 7500 miles is the factory maintenance
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Rickblkg

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Your overpaying my friend. 1 you don't need ester oil just get full synthetic. 2 you don't need to do it every 3750 miles. 7500 miles is the factory maintenance
Lol I read that too, they are ripping you off. I pay $30 thats only because they usually have a deal, but without out that deal its usually $50.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 PM
antirice
Registered Member

My oil change cost me less than $40. PureOne oil filter plus Mobil 1 EP 5-qt jug from Walmart. And the oil is good for 15,000 miles, but I change it every 7500-8000 miles. Oh and of course I do the work myself.

If you look at the service manual, our cars are very cheap to maintain. Most of the work are pretty easy to do (like cabin filter, rear differential oil, etc), so you can do them urself.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am not sure about the seats as I have a 2011 with the sport seats and I like them better than the ones in the TL SH-AWD I test drove. I thought the TL had a better sound system but not by much. They are pretty close in my mind. I have owned Acuras Hondas Nissans and now Infiniti. I just came back from a 1,400 mile trip in the Infiniti and I loved it. One thing you can't go wrong with either but I sure did like the preformance of the G. I averaged 25.8 MPG on this trip. What was even better was "playing" with a TL type S this morning. The TL might be a better choice but let me tell you the G is way more fun to drive. If I was not an empty nester and still had kids at home etc I would have bought a TL.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 AM
cy7878

I found out AFTER signing the papers that my purchase dealer (KM in SD) charges outrageous amounts for service. They also add in things not in the manual to get the prices even higher.

I think the $120 oil change is on par with what KM charges. It's not "just an oil change, but a minor service....." I know it's BS and will be calling around.

I think the TL and not really a good comparison to the G for all the reasons stated above. But Acura and Infiniti dealers are comparable in terms of level of service and amenities. Lexus, BMW and MB are still a step above when it comes to lounge area, refreshments served and loaner cars....
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Morrissey

I think the TL was improved this year, but is still not attractive. Sorry.

Maybe my car is of interest?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/gs-fs/2...-interior.html

link to my g37xS ad

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
cy7878

Originally Posted by Morrissey

link to my g37xS ad

Good luck.
I agree. It's just a different kind of car...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Morrissey

link to my g37xS ad

Good luck.
That's a nice car with perhaps the best color combo. Mind if I ask what new car you are getting?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 AM
sarge_in

Originally Posted by rod_b
Seems like the TL would be right for you. I always believed the TL was Acura's mid-sized luxury sedan and not really in the same class as the G, 3 series and IS (sport-luxury sedan). Price-wise, the vehicles are similar but the vehicle purposes are different. Good luck with your purchase
Quite true...I am realizing the same.
Even Consumer Reports has them in different categories, and they are both the top recommended in their respective categories:

Upscale Sedans - TL. Others: Hyundai Genesis 3.8, Lexus ES350
Compact Sports Sedans - G37. Others: G25, Acura TSX, Lexus IS 250, BMW 328i, MB C300, Audi A4

I may test drive the G37 once more just to be sure. I suspect it may still come down to bit more space for the family and little smoother ride. But the kid in me is not ready to let go of sporty ambitions either. Decisions, decisions..

A couple things to confirm:
1) I heard that Infiniti locks you out of NAV during motion. True?
2) How good is video playback from USB drives? Formats? This is one feature the TL does not have, despite having a more advanced unit. A third-party add-on product is in the works it seems.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL