G37 Sedan

my car runs so fn heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
1BadAssG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
I agree, was ready to post this myself till I read this post. The bigger tires are probably a little heavier than the stock not enough to feel a difference. My bet is on the wheels. Unless you spent a fortune on wheels I'm betting your new wheels are much heavier than your stocks.
Im thinking too that it is my wheels thats making it feel like a tank and runs heavy but yet again, its the sport 19s so there shouldn't been any big drastic change to the car as it is now.

I drive it in manual mode too and it just feels heavy, the engine load noise is loud and it almost feels like the car is having a hard time going forward compared to the loaner, where it just flew off before I knew.

On my car on the freeway, I don't wanna go over 60mph cuz it feels so heavy and loud and fast that it gets out of control when it hits road imperfections. On the loaner and on my camry, even my sister's Altima and girlfriend's Armada, I can drive well over 80 before noticing the speed.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bashirdur
On my car on the freeway, I don't wanna go over 60mph cuz it feels so heavy and loud and fast that it gets out of control when it hits road imperfections. On the loaner and on my camry, even my sister's Altima and girlfriend's Armada, I can drive well over 80 before noticing the speed.
Your car might have an issue, have the dealer inspect it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM
KLB

How can you think that wheels would make that big of a difference in the "feel" of performance? The tires would probably weigh a little less as they get bigger. The wheels might weigh 5 - 10 lbs more each, so 40 lbs or so. Hardly enough to make the car feel heavy.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Next time you are done driving after it feels "heavy", try going around to each wheel and feel the heat coming off the brake caliper/rotor/wheel. Perhaps it is a frozen caliper or set of calipers.....if its just one it would probably be in the rear, otherwise the car would pull. One corner might feel much hotter than the others, it might be a good indication to have it checked out.

My '01 Frontier did the same thing.......the brakes acted a little funny, but it felt like I was towing something everytime I drove it. Turned out the caliper slider pins were frozen and the brakes were stuck "on".
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Rickblkg

Im thinking too that it is my wheels thats making it feel like a tank and runs heavy but yet again, its the sport 19s so there shouldn't been any big drastic change to the car as it is now.

I drive it in manual mode too and it just feels heavy, the engine load noise is loud and it almost feels like the car is having a hard time going forward compared to the loaner, where it just flew off before I knew.

Thats just odd I have a g35 and I can go 100 and you cant even tell
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Next time you are done driving after it feels "heavy", try going around to each wheel and feel the heat coming off the brake caliper/rotor/wheel. Perhaps it is a frozen caliper or set of calipers.....if its just one it would probably be in the rear, otherwise the car would pull. One corner might feel much hotter than the others, it might be a good indication to have it checked out.

My '01 Frontier did the same thing.......the brakes acted a little funny, but it felt like I was towing something everytime I drove it. Turned out the caliper slider pins were frozen and the brakes were stuck "on".
That is a good point. Few months ago, I felt my brakes all of a sudden not feel as tight anymore and ever since, my brakes are soft but has the grip to stop the car as day one.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
1BadAssG

After a 40 mile trip, my front driver side seems noticeably hot compared to other 3. Idk what's going on there. I'll check few more times to find out exactly if that's one of the issues.

As for the tune up: I did cleaned the throttle body, new air filters, and two fuel injectors as well as 45lbs of air on each tire. The car is still heavy bit the gas mileage has proven significantly.

The last option on my check list is to swap the tires to see if the heaviness is gone. BTW it still feels super fast going 65mph.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get some volks . Car feels SO much better
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
mikelebron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea... sounds more like those rims are very heavy... when you take one off weigh them compared to your old ones.. post results... I would say if they are heavier by any significant amount thats the root cause coupled with the larger size which reduces rotational acceleration of the wheels.

There was a post on this forum by a person who is a mechanical engineer. He used mathematics to prove out what changes had the most affect on velocity. And the largest affects where weight of the flywheel and rims. What was interesting is that you needed a fairly higher amount of HP to improve velocity contrasting the amount needed to reduce drag on the rotating parts. Very interesting hypothesis and conclusion (Im a computer science geek so I love this stuff).

PS post the Rim make and model so we all know to stay away from them...
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelebron
yea... sounds more like those rims are very heavy... when you take one off weigh them compared to your old ones.. post results... I would say if they are heavier by any significant amount thats the root cause coupled with the larger size which reduces rotational acceleration of the wheels.

There was a post on this forum by a person who is a mechanical engineer. He used mathematics to prove out what changes had the most affect on velocity. And the largest affects where weight of the flywheel and rims. What was interesting is that you needed a fairly higher amount of HP to improve velocity contrasting the amount needed to reduce drag on the rotating parts. Very interesting hypothesis and conclusion (Im a computer science geek so I love this stuff).

PS post the Rim make and model so we all know to stay away from them...
He's talking about stock wheels lol
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
mikelebron

Well that sucks!
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
He's talking about stock wheels lol
Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
I bet if you abuse your car like no other, your car would drive just like the loaner.
Hahahahaha..

Well said
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM
G37CPA

I don't know what it is but my car runs so heavy that I'm honestly tired of driving. It's not fun at all to drive a beautiful powerful car as it was the first few weeks I got it.

How I know its running heavy is that yesterday I took my car to dealer for few warranty works and they gave me a loaned that is very much the exact car as mine. I drove it about 150 miles I'm town in one day and I enjoyed every minute of it. The loaner had the same mileage as mine and is the same year but has been abused like no other.
my concern is that, I take care of my car so much including regular oil changes, new tires, and all of the latest TSBs yet it still rides like a tank. I can't drive faster that 65mph on the freeway cuz I feel like I'm doing 100+mph. It sucks so bad.

It's a 2010 with 20,000 miles and only things I have done to maintaince is oil change and oil filter change. Also I have upgraded my rims to sport 19s with 245/45/19 front and 275/40/19 rear.

Can you guys shine a light on my and help me lighten up my car again.

Maybe your car was switched in the nursery when you left it at the dealer, and you got someone elses. Have a DNA check done. Failing that, get a new car - something you like. Maybe a Chevy Volt. Then you will wish you had your G back.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by G37CPA
Maybe your car was switched in the nursery when you left it at the dealer, and you got someone elses. Have a DNA check done. Failing that, get a new car - something you like. Maybe a Chevy Volt. Then you will wish you had your G back.
I love your sarcasm. It makes me smile every time I read it. If I wanted a volt, then I should've stayed with my 04 accord or I'd rather drive my 93 camry than a volt.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have a lot of junk in the car?

Quick Reply: my car runs so fn heavy