Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F!!! Hail...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
F!!! Hail...

So the other day while at work we had a crazy storm here in NE Ohio. The hail got so bad I thought the windshield of my work vehicle was going to blow out. It sounded worse then it was I guess as the largest ice ***** I actually saw were marble/gumball size. Still pretty large.

Anyway, the G was out in an open parking lot. I checked it later on and looked fine, although it was dark and wet. Well, today was the first dry day we've had and while running around, I went to get back into the car and noticed a ding on the decklid. I began looking over the car... AND... terrible. Being that it's moonlight white, it's not immediately apparent but when looking for them or at the right angle, the entire car is dimpled all over. Hood, deck lid, and roof.

I've had the car for 2 months and has 1700 miles.

So.. due to the weekend I'm going to be calling my insurance agent on Tuesday. My issue/question is that I hate having to have the car's paint blended. Especially with a unique pearl paint like this that is more difficult to match. I've grown up around bodywork and know a good shop can make it damn near perfect, but I always have an eye for finding something noticeable. Usually the texture/appearance of the "orange peel" on the new paint compared to OEM. Anyway, yeah my question... does Infiniti sell body parts pre-painted? I'm thinking that due to the mileage, I would like to push the insurance to get me a new hood and new deck lid instead of repairing. If they come painted then the only thing that would need work would be the roof - and that is a much less noticeable area of the car so I would feel better.

Sucks...
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
ive seen cars totaled for hail damage that didnt look too bad. just dealing with insurance is a pain it sucks to hear that
Old 05-28-2011, 12:00 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Sucks man. Hope you're able to get it back to normal!

I'm considering keeping a tarp in my trunk if my car is ever caught outside in the hail. Heh...
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Sucks man. Hope you're able to get it back to normal!

I'm considering keeping a tarp in my trunk if my car is ever caught outside in the hail. Heh...
Sucks OP.

Very good idea efuseakay!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Or just head to the nearest gas station and wait out the storm under the roof of over the gas pumps.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
equetefue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear this... Just happened to me three weeks ago and teh car had only 5 weeks. Allstate said that they will have to replace hood because is aluminum, and will replace pillar parts as they got scratched and ding. The rest of the body panels will try to PDR. I'm taking my car on Tuesday so I can keep you posted and let you know if PDR works.

So far they estimate 4k in damage. Crazy thing is that car looks fine unless you get eye level.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM
4drScreamer

Sounds like an opportunity for a full repaint with a better paint brand than Infiniti uses now. Lexus is close and far superior paint product. Work out a deal with your shop to upgrade the paint.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:24 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

It's hard to see this type of damage in pictures, it's like you can only get one ding to show per picture, the camera angle has to be just right for each individual ding.
This is why we almost never see any pics of these hail damaged cars posted, it's pointless unless the car got hit with near baseball sized hail.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Maxpilot

Originally Posted by equetefue
sorry to hear this... Just happened to me three weeks ago and teh car had only 5 weeks. Allstate said that they will have to replace hood because is aluminum, and will replace pillar parts as they got scratched and ding. The rest of the body panels will try to PDR. I'm taking my car on Tuesday so I can keep you posted and let you know if PDR works.

So far they estimate 4k in damage. Crazy thing is that car looks fine unless you get eye level.
I had a pretty large dent PDR'ed on my hood. I don't know why Allstate would have to replace it.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:28 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PDR all the way. Won't be able to tell anything ever happened and you will keep your paint job.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. They will do paintless dent repair and it will turn out great. Very little concern about the long term impact on the durability of your paint (which on the infiniti, isn't great anyways).

We had a large hail storm last year in July and my car (Acura TSX at the time) was caught out in the open in a parking lot. It received a number of dents, but WAY LESS than the Infiniti G37 coupe a co-worker drives parked next to me. The Acura sheet metal actual feels much thicker and stronger than that of my G37. I think Infiniti uses recycled pop-cans to craft the exterior of our cars.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
PDr generally works for this, I have dealertraded a few cars from the midwest with hail damage by the time we got them. Mostly on black cars and they were able to make it look like new again. GL