G37 Sedan

is this normal? almost cracking and creased leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all normal from use and will get worse. Our '03 was completely creased on the driver's seat within a year or two, even though we treated it with Zaino leather conditioner on a regular basis. The passenger and rear seats were minimally creased due to lack of use. What appeared to be cracks never tore through, it's just the nature of leather when used and sat on on a daily basis. Doesn't bother me one bit.

There's a big market for old leather jackets, especially the bomber type. The more creases and wear, the more desirable and sought after they are.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I guess it'll be pretty useless to complain to the dealer at this point. meh.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I cant see the pics,(At work) but I'm sure it looks like mine, The leather on my passanger side arm rest is all wirnkled also.. Weird casue no one sits over there?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
clutch5

Calling it "normal" is the trap they want you to fall into. A recurring problem that they decide not to fix gets spin-doctored as "normal." (all auto makers and dealers seem to do this; not just Infiniti)

It isn't normal. It's a COMMON PROBLEM. There's a big difference between those two.

They get the word "problem" out of the dialog by spinning it as normal (and getting you to repeat it that way to others on internet forums)

It's a design flaw. Whether it's due to the choice of a cheesy quality of leather, or seat foam, or whatever the cause, it's a flaw.

I've seen 10-12 year old leather seats in run-of-the-mill Toyotas with no cracking or stretching, so it is absolutely a preventable problem with the right design choices.

You can bet when you go to trade it in 5 years down the road, they will deduct for the seats, saying they will need to replace them. Try the "it's normal" argument on them at that point and they'll just laugh.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
BLKG37X

Looks just like mine at a little less than 6K
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2yr old looks better than that. I am a 150lbs guy and treat it with Lexol every 2 weeks during summer and once a month other time.

This is one of the weak points about this car but you'll only find out after you buy it. So try your best to maintain it. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
sniper27

Originally Posted by clutch5
Calling it "normal" is the trap they want you to fall into. A recurring problem that they decide not to fix gets spin-doctored as "normal." (all auto makers and dealers seem to do this; not just Infiniti)

It isn't normal. It's a COMMON PROBLEM. There's a big difference between those two.

They get the word "problem" out of the dialog by spinning it as normal (and getting you to repeat it that way to others on internet forums)

It's a design flaw. Whether it's due to the choice of a cheesy quality of leather, or seat foam, or whatever the cause, it's a flaw.

I've seen 10-12 year old leather seats in run-of-the-mill Toyotas with no cracking or stretching, so it is absolutely a preventable problem with the right design choices.

You can bet when you go to trade it in 5 years down the road, they will deduct for the seats, saying they will need to replace them. Try the "it's normal" argument on them at that point and they'll just laugh.
i'm not saying it's normal. i guess my question is, at what point do you complain to the dealer to do something about it? Leather by nature will have some creases after use...but looking at the condition of my seats @ 7000 miles (8 months), is this excessive?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM
gee wiz

It isn't normal. It's a COMMON PROBLEM. .
If it's a common problem then why wouldn't it be considered a normal occurrence? I'll bet if you do a search on creased leather you'll see complaints in many other manufacturer's forums.

We have high end leather furniture and every piece has creasing from use. All my "other brand" vehicles owned in the past with leather experienced creasing. This material is cow hide, not man made. How can you improve the quality of something that is a natural product? It's like washing a cotton garment in hot water and complaining that it shrank. It's the nature of the material. Lay your best leather jacket on your car seat and sit on it every day. I guarantee you it will eventually develop creases.

I'm sure heat and direct UV sunlight will play a part in how fast a material will break down. I'd also guess that if leather is stretched very tightly that it will experience less creasing, but then I suspect the comfort level would be compromised?

Unless there is actual ripping or separation of the leather seats, I've never had any issues with creased leather seats playing a part in lowering the value of a car for resale or trade in.

I personally like the worn look of leather--it clearly separates it from the look of vinyl and cloth. This is all obviously my personal opinion and I understand we all have different tastes.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
clutch5

A couple replies were calling it normal, but my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. One thing is guaranteed: if everyone gets on the "it's normal" bandwagon, they aren't going to fix it.

So...complain early, complain often ) (and take photos along the way) If they change their policy in the future and have a fix for the stretching and/or cracking, you'll be on record.

The trouble is, replacing it with the same thing will lead to the same result. They need to fix it, not temporarily refresh it. In the future, they should provide another seat option. I like the leather with alcantara (a suede-like material) seat and back fabric on Audis (all leather is a premium option). Something like that would be nice. I wonder how much that would cost to have that done by an upholstery shop.

Last edited by clutch5; 02-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
sniper27

i read in another thread that the seats in 2011's are different. so for others that have had their seats replaced only with the same ones, then yes, the problem will reoccur. if i can somehow have them replaced with 2011 seats, maybe it will cure the problem. who knows.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
G37xs2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
i read in another thread that the seats in 2011's are different. so for others that have had their seats replaced only with the same ones, then yes, the problem will reoccur. if i can somehow have them replaced with 2011 seats, maybe it will cure the problem. who knows.
i have the 2011 1300k on her and i already have creases on my leather
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
......You can bet when you go to trade it in 5 years down the road, they will deduct for the seats, saying they will need to replace them. Try the "it's normal" argument on them at that point and they'll just laugh.
And thats why go early and go often: make sure its on record that you complained about it to our dealer. Then if the dealer starts to give you bs, tell them to read their own records where they said it was normal. Bring Infiniti Corporate into it if you have to as well.

Honestly my left bolster is starting to wrinkle on my 500 mile (yes, 500 miles) old 2011 sedan. And I expected it, actually, because its hard to get out of the car without brushing across it with my thigh.

Hands down, the most comfortable seats Ive ever ridden in were in my Dodge Neon (can you believe it!!!)...it was an R/T so it came with the ACR sport seats. They werent leather, but it was like sitting in a custom made seat. AND I didnt rub any part of it when I got in or out, they just fit so well.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
this is rather embarrassing, but have you ever considered using seat covers? i get made fun of all the time... but they honestly do a fine job of keeping the leathers from cracking AND bubbling.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^pics? How do they work with the side air bag if there is a collision? Get back on Acurazine!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
sniper27

like those sheepskin covers? nah, i rather have butt bubble and cracking leather.

Quick Reply: is this normal? almost cracking and creased leather