Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delaying License Plate install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Apparently if you finance thru Infiniti, they require the dealer does all of the DMV work (not a bad thing, less for me to do!)

That includes the temp tag from the state you are purchasing from, as well as talking to a 3rd party that handles the registration, emissions and plates for the state the vehicle will reside.

Infiniti requires it, but it would be something Id be willing to pay for. I *hate* going to the DMV.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gee wiz
Registration/plates are paid for at time of vehicle purchase, then plates are automatically mailed later, usually about 3-6 weeks here in California.
Originally Posted by Black Betty
In the US the car has to be registered with the state when it's sold and issued a permanent license plate. Receiving the permanent plate takes anywhere from a week to a month deiending in location. During this time a temporary ("paper") license plate issued by the dealership is displayed in the rear window or in the rear plate location. Sometimes the actual plates are mailed to the owner, and sometimes to the dealership dependin on your location.
Interesting, in Canada you pick up your plates immediately when you register your vehicle at the Ministry of Transportation. They have stacks of license plates so you'll sometimes see dealers walking out with a box of plates if they registered several cars at once.

They will give out temporary plates but in very rare circumstances. I think I see a car with temporary tags every few years.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my permanent plates on as soon as I could. I wanted the car to be "mine" as soon as I could. I dont like those cheap paper plates anyways.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:48 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
This isn't a thread about not putting on your front plate. It is a thread about not putting on ANY plates...

Can't do that in OH. Temp tags expire in 30 days and the dates are in big letters.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Going on 8 months without plates on the G. My previous Audi, I had no plates on the car for 2 yrs. until I got pulled over for speeding. They just add a fix it ticket for $30. A year after that, I got a red light camera ticket that cost $500. I took the plate off the car again. I'll take my chances on a $30 fix it ticket than a $500 red light camera ticket.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:06 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would never do that. As soon as my plate come in I put them on. That temp plate sticker is an announcement to the world around you that you have a new vehicle.

Sorry but most people really suck, and I wouldn't chance giving any additional motivation for some dirt-bag to scratch up your new car.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I usually go 6 months before I put plates on. I like that "new" feeling, haha

Originally Posted by RaulGCustom
I rolled without a plate for more than a year! LOL
Raul, you sound like a couple of people that I know that have gone 2+ years without 'em. Just keep the car clean (washing it every week) and no one really pays any attention.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely took my time putting on the plates once they arrived in the mail. It was nice being immune to red light cameras for a while, not that I regularly run them or anything! That wouldn't be the case with just the front plate missing, but obviously, that's not what this thread was about.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
So basically in the states that don't really care, people ride for years without permanent license plates to be able to evade tolls and red light cameras. You people in Cali are horrible. No wonder your state is slowly going down the toilet.

I'd trade your great weather year round for our fiscal stability even with no state income taxes any day of the week.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by Black Betty
So basically in the states that don't really care, people ride for years without permanent license plates to be able to evade tolls and red light cameras. You people in Cali are horrible. No wonder your state is slowly going down the toilet.

I'd trade your great weather year round for our fiscal stability even with no state income taxes any day of the week.
sorry, but $500 camera ticket for not coming to a complete stop before making a right turn on a red light is just highway robbery. my speeding ticket for 12mph over the limit was less than half that amount.

btw, 75 and sunny today.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by sniper27
sorry, but $500 camera ticket for not coming to a complete stop before making a right turn on a red light is just highway robbery. my speeding ticket for 12mph over the limit was less than half that amount.

btw, 75 and sunny today.
If you don't drive like a jackass and come to a complete stop before proceeding like you're supposed to, it's a non issue. My wife just got her second one in 2 years. There's absolutely no excuse for it. It's dangerous and irresponsible. I'll get off of my soapbox because you already know that and just want to rationalize it somehow because you're guilty and want to ease your conscience. We all do it.

And I wish it was that nice here. It's cold and windy. Damn you!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
sniper27

Fair enough...I agree I was wrong. I was merely disgruntled with the fact that the ticket wasn't worth $500. Especially when the video clearly showed that there was no oncoming traffic. In theory, it is unsafe to roll through a red light, but reality was different.

I'll be in Texas next Thurs through the following Monday. I guess I'll experience some of that cold. Naturally, I don't own a coat warm enough being in L.A.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Fair enough...I agree I was wrong. I was merely disgruntled with the fact that the ticket wasn't worth $500. Especially when the video clearly showed that there was no oncoming traffic. In theory, it is unsafe to roll through a red light, but reality was different.

I'll be in Texas next Thurs through the following Monday. I guess I'll experience some of that cold. Naturally, I don't own a coat warm enough being in L.A.
You going to be in the Houston area? Our red light cameras are offline now because voters demanded it because they hated paying the tickets. So you're safe here.

But seriously, if you're in Houston and have time you should meet up with our local G crowd.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
sniper27

I'll be in the DFW area. How far is that? Plus I won't have my car with me either since I'm flying in.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be in the DFW area. How far is that? Plus I won't have my car with me either since I'm flying in.
It is about 4-5 hours from Houston from the DFW area.

I don't see the point of sticking with temporary plates. One of my exes refused to put the vanity plates on the 325, even when the most recent facelifted 3 came out. It was so annoying.

Quick Reply: Delaying License Plate install?