Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:00 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your car likely needs the update. I've got an 09 and had it updated 3x, first time was a huge improvement, subsequent were minor but good. All were free, under warranty.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I suspect part of your issue is unknowingly activating DSC. 1) is typical of the 7AT and I attribute it to Nissan's way of getting good city numbers on the EPA fuel mileage test.

Dealer flash will overwrite any aftermarket tune. Your tuner should flash back to stock, then when dealer work is complete, have your tuner reflash his tune. You can do this with a cable but don't ask me how as I've never played with aspect. I do believe there is something in a D.I.Y. forum.

Does everybody have those problems with DSC? (or just all 7AT's anyway) It's not defeatable as far as I know. It seems like I should at least be able to get a chirp with 300+hp, lol.

I haven't gotten my tune yet. I know Ecutek can make some changes to the TCU, but is it still beneficial to go ahead and ask my dealer if they'll do the update? I'm out of warranty so it would be extra cost and if it's redundant I'd just as well save the $100 or whatever it would be.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Just FYI I spoke with Sebastian at SpecialtyZ about tuning and transmission issues, and he said that the only change he can really make to the transmission is firmness of shifts because the Ecutek tuning is only reprogramming the ECU and not the TCU. He encouraged me to get the TCU update from the dealer first if I'm irritated by the transmission currently.

I made an appointment for Friday with Germain Infiniti in Columbus, OH and listed the issues I'm having. Hopefully, they can get me the software update and then I can move on with my tune.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Speedylifsavr

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
Just FYI I spoke with Sebastian at SpecialtyZ about tuning and transmission issues, and he said that the only change he can really make to the transmission is firmness of shifts because the Ecutek tuning is only reprogramming the ECU and not the TCU. He encouraged me to get the TCU update from the dealer first if I'm irritated by the transmission currently.

I made an appointment for Friday with Germain Infiniti in Columbus, OH and listed the issues I'm having. Hopefully, they can get me the software update and then I can move on with my tune.
Any luck? I have the flare on the 3-4 shift. Took it to Infiniti Sarasota and they did a tranny flush. Didn't do a damn thing. They did admit that it was not shifting normal and recommended the flush.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Speedylifsavr
Any luck? I have the flare on the 3-4 shift. Took it to Infiniti Sarasota and they did a tranny flush. Didn't do a damn thing. They did admit that it was not shifting normal and recommended the flush.
Yes! Or at least I think so. I haven't messed with DS mode and I've only actually driven the car twice since we went out of town for the weekend and took my wife's GTI for fuel consumption reasons.

I don't know what the dealer would have said if I had just straight up asked for the TCU flash, but I listed the symptoms and after an hour they told me "they couldn't reproduce what I was describing but it fit the TSB description and my software was out of date, so they went ahead and applied the update." Charged me for an hour of labor and the invoice said ITB12-027d on it.

The ECU is also reprogrammed in the update, so I'm currently still enjoying the "pre-adaptation" stage, which always feels a little more sprightly, but so far I haven't had any of the lag problems I had before. I haven't paid close attention to the 4-5 flare out, but that wasn't severe enough to bother me a ton anyway. The funny thing is there is clearly more to the update than just the items addressed as problems in the TSB. (especially since they flash both the TCU and ECU) The frustrating herky-jerky throttle tip-in off the line appears to be much improved, and the transmission is a little more willing to downshift as I squeeze the throttle. (and sometimes even one gear at a time for moderate throttle inputs instead of lugging badly for several seconds and then shooting all the way to 6k rpms) The delay in applying torque to the road after a downshift when passing somebody is much smaller as well. Finally, the slurred and shuddery 1-2 upshift is now cleaner, with the shuddering still happening but the rpms dropping more quickly and snapping neatly into 2nd for a much more linear acceleration off the line. Now it just feels like traction control interference.

It does do one new, very mildly annoying thing: When I reduce throttle after accelerating fairly hard just as I get to a shift point, there will be a slight delay as it thinks about what to do and then a little kick in the backside as it upshifts. Like the old slow gear change that dragged on the car now is a slow gear change that errs on the side of pushing me forward. It's not completely smooth, but it's not that big a deal, and WAY less annoying than what it was doing before.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Cross country X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7AT Quirks

I recently had the trans, transfer and both diffs fluid changed out on my 12x sedan and (and the clock replaced under the Elite protection warranty) and found it really improved the shift times. ( they did the four fluids and the clock ($100 deductible) for $750 out the door, with the loaner I thought that was fair). I only use manual mode since I bought the car, the trans shifts too much in D or DS. Why wear the transmission when our cars sound so good revving in the midrange? The firmware a good idea for those with the earlier g's. Something to note, the transmission takes longer to get up to temp then our engines, as such the TCM will likely delay shifts (unless one tunes it to do otherwise but that's beyond my skillset) until at full operating temp. The service adviser I had was one of the best I've talked to over the years from an Infiniti dealer and we got chatting about the cars, the fluid cleanliness in the trans really makes the most significant difference in these cars shift performance, along with the rear diff, and less so the transfer and front diff. Sadly for marketing purposes Infiniti billed the trans as "lifetime" so they have to soft sell it as required maintenance on the car. No fluid that is subjected to heat and pressure is lifetime.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 PM
NixonsHead
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a TCU/ECM flash a couple weeks ago by an infiniti dealer near me. Huge improvement in shift and throttle response. The weekend before the flash I installed a grounding kit and "felt" a slightly better response in shift speed and smoothness, but the flash made a world of difference for me. 2010 g37x coupe
Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 PM
En Laret Mo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recently had the latest TSB ITB12-027A TCM/ECM update applied at the dealer for $125 and it's a night and day improvement. Definitely worth it in my opinion and makes the car fun to drive again. I have a 2009 Journey with 7AT.
The following 2 users liked this post by En Laret Mo:
Initial B (10-12-2018), NixonsHead (07-17-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there any downside to ITB13-019a? Didn’t not know my 2013 had this available until recently.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 AM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
I have a variety of transmission annoyances but not all seem to fit what's been described here. I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong or if it's just crappy programming. (and what to do about it)
  1. I have the infamous "delay" where I've been coasting or trail braking in D and when I press the gas pedal nothing happens for a couple of seconds
  2. I have the lag where I go to pass somebody and the car downshifts and the engine screams but it takes a second or so before I feel any real thrust
  3. When accelerating gradually there is frequently a flare out on 4-5 (but not always)
  4. Sometimes it just feels like the torque converter isn't working well and the car suffers from general sluggishness while the rpms move up and down seemingly disconnected from what's happening at the wheels
  5. When I accelerate hard the car slides from 1-2 and lightly shudders. It sort of feels like something is slipping, (if there was a screeching sound I would think the tires were struggling for grip, but I know they're not as I'm AWD and the light isn't coming on - also no noise) but the car pulls the whole time, like a bad CVT.
  6. Once I'm moving, and when the stars align just right, the car can/does pull hard. But power delivery is weird and uneven off the line, and I don't think it's just the engine's torque curve. It sort of jerks and bounces. It feels like I'm having lag in 1st, then it hooks up and pulls for a couple thousand rpms, then it shudders and slides into 2nd, and then I get the real power and I'm already going 40mph. I can't even chirp the tires a tiny bit, and there should be more than enough power for traction to be a limiting factor.

Do the last three sound like something is going bad? Most of this has been happening ever since I got the car, though.

I plan on getting an Ecutek tune anyway. If this is mostly just programming, is there any reason to get a software update from my dealer when Ecutek will make changes anyway? Is it an overwrite or will the factory mapping still affect things? If I get the tune and then later the dealer tries to update my software, will it undo my tune?
Hi Woofersus, I had similar issues with your #2 & #6, however after change out transmission fluid I'm no longer experience and delay or jerking down shift.
My G are out of warranty so I'm taking a risk of replace transmission fluid and I wish that I should done this earlier.
2011 G37x @ 137xxx.
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (03-03-2020)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
If anyone wants the latest nissan firmware for the ecu and wants to customize the shift responsiveness of the transmission with ecutek, pm me I can help.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlos
BRO THE EXACT SAME THING HAS RECENTLY STARTED HAPPENING TO ME! Does anybody have a solution?!
Turns out my transmission shift problems went away when I did a trans flush at 70,000 miles. No more banging into gears or that hitting a pothole feeling you and the other guy were talking about. The shop used BG fluid. I had the update done after that. Shifts smoother but the only negative is that the car isn't as aggressive as before. It's a real shame that the transmission steals so much power from the engine. Compare putting the car in DS mode then shift with the paddles and the difference is astounding. I understand gas mileage and all but damn. They should have at least given us a super sport mode or something.
Pato A. Vidal (03-03-2020)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
DS mode and manual shifting needn't be a gas hog; it's all about your right foot.
BULL (03-16-2020)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
DS mode and manual shifting needn't be a gas hog; it's all about your right foot.
I was referring to the power difference when you let the car shift vs when you do it yourself. I was complaining about the trans being programed to maximize gas mileage, even in sport mode.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Well yeah, there is that. Thus my emphasis on manual shifting.

I'm quite flabbergasted that none of the ECU programmers will tackle the TCU considering how much people dislike Infiniti's programming of it. These complaints have been ongoing for almost a decade.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram