Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replaced - Now Creaks/Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
sawatkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Replaced - Now Creaks/Squeaks

Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on how to remedy this? I had a rock fly up and cause a large crack (about 18 inches) across my windshield. My insurance company replaced the windshield. The glass company ordered the OEM windshield from Infiniti. It was installed Monday and looks like the original. About 2 hours after the install I drove the car and noticed an annoying creak/squeak coming from the lower right side of the windshield. I can hear it when the road is uneven or as I pull into the driveway. I took it back to the glass shop and they suggested the glue may need a week to cure. I will be taking it back next week. The car was solid and squeak-free before. Squeaks drive me crazy so I hope this can be resolved. Also, it rained a little a couple days after and the rain sensing wipers did not work properly. The windshield ordered was for the rain sensing wipers. I read on the BMW site that their drivers have had that problem and that the sensor needs to be replaced. That seems a little sudden as my car only has 5,000 miles on it. Or do you always have to replace the sensor with a new windshield? If so, shouldn't insurance pay for that too? I welcome your thoughts and feedback. Thanks

Last edited by sawatkins; 10-15-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a bad installation. If you still have the squeak 48 hours later, you have a problem. I had a BMW with rain sensing wipers - you don't necessarily need to replace the sensor, but the installer must be skilled. I suspect the same is true for Infiniti. Insurance should cover the whole thing minus your deductible. Good luck......
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A week to cure? Give me a break.

They know it's screwed up, and they're hoping that they can blow you off and you'll give up. Go tell them you want it fixed now.

Customer service is practically nonexistent anymore...it's all about what people can get away with. It's really pathetic.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM
NyC_G37x

squeaks also drives me crazy... i would rather not drive than hear that while driving. try to get that fix asap!!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
lewtion1

ya i agree with everyone else. sounds like a bum job. I've had windshields replaced a couple of times on my other vehicles and have never run into a squeeky one....so it's def not normal.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the windshield cowling; this is a common issue on the coupes.
Lift the hood and try pressing on the long plastic bit that the wipers are bolted into - you should hear some noises. My car creaked and squeaked in this area and the dealer fixed it by putting felt tape on the underside of the cowling
Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
sawatkins

Originally Posted by financeman
Sounds like a bad installation. If you still have the squeak 48 hours later, you have a problem. I had a BMW with rain sensing wipers - you don't necessarily need to replace the sensor, but the installer must be skilled. I suspect the same is true for Infiniti. Insurance should cover the whole thing minus your deductible. Good luck......
I agree. I just went back to the glass shop today as a follow-up.

Item 1 - Rain sensing wipers: The glass shop removed the sensor, cleaned it, and installed a new gel pad. Apparently they installed a gel pad for another type of car that was not thick enough. Once they installed the new gel pad the wipers started working correctly. One problem solved.

Item 2 – Creaking windshield: The glass shop was unable to determine how to stop the creaking. They were also reluctant to replacing the glass a second time. I then called my insurance company and asked them to hold payment, so now the glass company agreed to work with me. They are ordering another OEM windshield and will call me when it arrives. I’ll provide an update after the second installation.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Fingers crossed for an end to creaking.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:48 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sawatkins
I agree. I just went back to the glass shop today as a follow-up.

Item 1 - Rain sensing wipers: The glass shop removed the sensor, cleaned it, and installed a new gel pad. Apparently they installed a gel pad for another type of car that was not thick enough. Once they installed the new gel pad the wipers started working correctly. One problem solved.

Item 2 – Creaking windshield: The glass shop was unable to determine how to stop the creaking. They were also reluctant to replacing the glass a second time. I then called my insurance company and asked them to hold payment, so now the glass company agreed to work with me. They are ordering another OEM windshield and will call me when it arrives. I’ll provide an update after the second installation.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Fingers crossed for an end to creaking.

Were you able to get the creaking resolved?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
sawatkins

Originally Posted by AKG37
Were you able to get the creaking resolved?
It hasn't been resolved yet. The glass shop removed the windshield and did a thorough cleaning of the area to make sure everything was as it should be. Immediately after the second install it still squeaked.

I then decided to take the car to the dealership to see if they had any ideas. They spent a day trying to isolate the squeak. They provided a loaner car and still have my car until Monday. The service advisor called and said they will need to remove the dash to inspect the firewall area. This makes me nervous as it seems this has turned into quite an ordeal. Fingers crossed that they don't cause other problems or damage anything, that they find the squeak and resolve it, and that everything goes back and works as it originally did.

It’s just disturbing as my car is only five months old. I despise squeaks and if they can’t resolve them would likely lead me to trade the car. I really like the Infiniti and don’t like the thought of trading it so soon and the monetary hit I would have to incur.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing the dash to figure out one squeak usually causes many more in return. there are so many clips and pieces the tech may not put back right that will result in more noises ...i speak from experience. good luck though
Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
sawatkins

Originally Posted by beerme986
removing the dash to figure out one squeak usually causes many more in return. there are so many clips and pieces the tech may not put back right that will result in more noises ...i speak from experience. good luck though
Thanks. I'm afraid of that, but I'll hope for the best.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Dash out? Sounds extreme.
I had my windshield replaced early on by Infiniti and had a similar problem with squeaking.
The dealer applied felt tape to the underside of the cowling (the long black plastic piece surrounding the wipers).
When I pushed down on mine, at the far edges of the cowl, it would make the same noises.
I know it may not sound like a possible fix, but may be worth trying before removing the dash
GL!

Name:  DSC00411-Copy.jpg
Views: 6596
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM
sawatkins

Thanks. I'm afraid of that, but I'll hope for the best.
* U P D A T E *

I just picked up my car today. I am very pleased to announce they were able to solve my squeaking problem. I am extremely happy with my dealership's service department. They were very professional and kept me updated on progress. I will admit they got my interior rather dirty (wheat leather) and a small cut on my back seat, but the squeak is gone, I can clean my car and repair the small cut so I am HAPPY!

On the receipt, it says:

01 - CUST STATES DASH SQUEAKS AROUND WINDSHIELD FAVORING RIGHT SIDE ROAD QUALITY SENSITIVE. VERIFIED SQUEAKING NOISE COMING FROM RIGHT SIDE OF DASH AREA. HAD TO REMOVE DASH - DROVE WITHOUT DASH IN VEHICLE.

Technician Notes:
Heard squeaking noise coming from behind blower motor box assembly and firewall - had to remove blower motor/A/C/heater box assembly and applied foam block and foam tape on evaporator box - reinstalled evaporator box - reinstalled dash assembly - reinstalled Freon back to A/C system - retest drove - squeak noise from front dash GONE!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
* U P D A T E *

I just picked up my car today. I am very pleased to announce they were able to solve my squeaking problem. I am extremely happy with my dealership's service department. They were very professional and kept me updated on progress. I will admit they got my interior rather dirty (wheat leather) and a small cut on my back seat, but the squeak is gone, I can clean my car and repair the small cut so I am HAPPY!

On the receipt, it says:

01 - CUST STATES DASH SQUEAKS AROUND WINDSHIELD FAVORING RIGHT SIDE ROAD QUALITY SENSITIVE. VERIFIED SQUEAKING NOISE COMING FROM RIGHT SIDE OF DASH AREA. HAD TO REMOVE DASH - DROVE WITHOUT DASH IN VEHICLE.

Technician Notes:
Heard squeaking noise coming from behind blower motor box assembly and firewall - had to remove blower motor/A/C/heater box assembly and applied foam block and foam tape on evaporator box - reinstalled evaporator box - reinstalled dash assembly - reinstalled Freon back to A/C system - retest drove - squeak noise from front dash GONE!

Glad to hear the found and repaired the problem. I would ask them to repair the cut in the seat, though. The dealership should have the ability to work on cars without trashing and damaging them.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you are joking that you would go through cartwheels to fix a squeak, but accept a cut leather seat !?!?!

Quick Reply: Windshield Replaced - Now Creaks/Squeaks