Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks into new G37x

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Rizzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks into new G37x

Picked up a Smoky Quartz G37x sedan with NAV and all that.. no sport package. This thing is an animal with great luxury features. Leasing so no mods for me, even though very tempted, but wife has an eye on me! Have noticed the 7 speed AT does like to shift up pretty quickly but I've been driving mostly in DS or manual mode so not a big issue (lots of winding roads around here). No rattles, squeaks or unwanted noises. Also, no complaints or disappointments as of yet either. Don't know how much input I'll have to the forum but really enjoy seeing the work some of you put into your cars.

One question.. how has the x-drive system performed in the snow for those living in northern states? I'm used to all wheel drive.. should be interesting to see how this system works when winter rolls around.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! I just got a 37x prem no sport too...the summer grip is awesome isn't it? You punch it and it grabs and goes. I too live NorthEast and after last winter, will be curious as to how this sled rides when it's slippery out - good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car's great in snow mode. Just don't get over confident lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
I live in Colorado and my wife is driving an '09 G37xS sedan. She had no problem making it through the last winter with the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx tires. It's also the first winter in recent memory I didn't have to purchase dedicated snow tires for her car!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Congrats on your new G, even though it's leased you can still get a wheel/tire upgrade and just put them on your next leased G (since you'll want another one when your lease is up)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 AM
BLKG37X

Congrats on the new car
At least tint the windows slightly. I think the Smoky Quartz would look much better with it
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 AM
DigMy35x

Congrats on the new car! You should definitely put up pics!! Maybe you can take some in different conditions - I know there are quite a few people considering that color and there aren't many real world photos in different lighting so that would probably help

I saw a Smokey Quartz on the dealer's lot and really, really liked it. Nice choice!

In terms of the AWD system in the winter - I had an 08 G35x (just upgraded about a week ago to a 2010) and the car did pretty well in the winter. I did have a bit of fishtailing but nothing out of control. AWD is really about getting you started and going. Once a car is going the key is to be smart about stopping (and hitting larger piles of snow on the sides of the road). I felt confident with the car in snow and did use the 'snow' mode and the 'manual' mode for more control. I think you'll do great in the snow!!

Good luck and get those pics up!!

Jay
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
KLB

I also experienced fishtailing last winter. I would be driving down a road and suddenly the rearend would slip out. I replaced the stock crap RSAs with Winter tires(Yokohama W Drives) and it never happened again.

Overall the AWD is good, not the best out there but it is good.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Creepers

i have an x coupe, and last winter after the snowpacolypse i was one of the few cars on the road. i had no slipping or sliding, and my car made it through some very slushy parts of town. btw, i live right outside of philadelphia and we got several feet of snow.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Mgrmitch

Can you use snow mode at all speeds?? I thought that was just if you got stuck and very low speed use.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Ross57

I live in Albany, NY. Plenty of snow here last winter (although less, oddly, than "down south" in NYC, Philly, and DC), and my '09 37x did fine, even with the stock RSAs.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
SindhiStyle

The G37X does fine in the winter. Def not the best AWD system for the snow, but can get you around even with the stock Dunlop tires.

I also have a benz that has 4matic and driving in the snow, there is a night and day difference. The benz def handles much better in the snow because it is all-time AWD compared to the G which only shifts to AWD when it slips.

Like others say, dont get over confident with the G, but it is def capable of handling a decent amount of snow. FYI: I drive in michigan where we get a decent amount of snow.

Congrats and ENJOY!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
indycase

Originally Posted by Mgrmitch
Can you use snow mode at all speeds?? I thought that was just if you got stuck and very low speed use.
Yes, you can use the SNOW mode at all speed because SNOW mode doesn't mean it locks the car into AWD all the time. It just basically locks into AWD when you start from a stop and will adjust accordingly after you are over about 20 km/h. Compare this to it in normal mode from a stop, the AWD splits the torque 25% front and 75% rear. So yes, you can use SNOW mode at all speed. Another feature of the SNOW mode is the car will desensitize the gas pedal so you won't break traction as easily whenever you press the gas pedal.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Rizzo

Thanks for the info on the x-drive and snow.. been a long time since I had a rear wheel drive vehicle, like 1990 Camaro long, and it's been 4 wheel or AWD since. I won't get too aggressive on the road but I just may find an empty parking lot to see how she reacts on slippery stuff. Very hilly terrain around here and takes the snow removal guys a while to get to us. Definitely enjoying the car though.. a total package of fun and luxury.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 PM
DigMy35x

Hmmm, I'm no gearhead but I'm not 100% sure I agree with the previous posts about SNOW mode.

My understanding is that the snow mode simply starts the engine in a higher gear so there is less torque to reduce slippage. Once you get above a certain MPH the system automatically deactivates. I didn't think the SNOW switch did anything for AWD.

If someone has a manual link that shows the AWD description I'd love to see it - that would definitely make me feel even more confident using it

Here's what I saw:

For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light on the switch
will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated,
engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.

Again, not 100% certain but that is what I recall from the manual. Figured I would just mention it.

Jay

Last edited by DigMy35x; 07-07-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Checked the manual and found the description

Quick Reply: 2 weeks into new G37x