Sponsored by:

G37x and VDC

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Maybe, it's just means that wheel slippage has been detected and the VDC is trying to correct the issue. Norammly that just involves reducing power, applying the brakes usually only happens once the vehicle starts to veer off its intended course.
i meant when the SLIP indicator turns on when the VDC is off
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vactor
i meant when the SLIP indicator turns on when the VDC is off
My guess is what indycase was saying -- the active brake limited slip is engaging since turning off the VDC still does not disable that function.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Chapinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hardly notice any difference on my xs on or off, unless its snow/mud. In these slippery conditions, the VDC will limit slip (via engine power?). With it off, there still seems to be some sort of active brake/LSD action to distribute power as all wheels will turn.
Would I miss it if it was always off? Nah. In a non-x car? probably.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT drive with the VDC off unless of course you know how the car handles with it off.. It's very dangerous and even with ATTESA, it's back end happy. Only turn it off if you're trying to get unstuck from snow or mud/sand etc. .. or the track if you insist! :P

Originally Posted by allagaroo
I also have a 2010 G37xS. I wanted the 18" Dunlops over the 17"Goodyears and it was very little extra to get the whole S package. Do you find a significant handling difference between the 18's and 17's. Had a loaner with 17's and the 18's didn't feel much different on a rough surface but I had no roads to test handling differences.

In Canada, the 18" wheel package comes standard with the S package so I wouldn't know the difference between the 17". My 2006 G35x had 215/55/17" Turanza and I find the grip level of the '10 xS much higher (meaning I have a grin every time I take an on ramp) and the car has a lot less roll - but I attribute that also to the new suspension geometry and the rigidity of the '10 car rather than just the tires.

The only thing negative I find with these 18" is that they follow every rut of the road - meaning you sometimes have to fight the steering to keep the car straight when the road is not perfectly smooth and even - but this is what happens with big wide tires. :P
Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indycase
DO NOT drive with the VDC off unless of course you know how the car handles with it off.. It's very dangerous and even with ATTESA, it's back end happy. Only turn it off if you're trying to get unstuck from snow or mud/sand etc. .. or the track if you insist! :P
it is not dangerous at all if you know how to drive a car, which i find these days, that very very very very very few people know how to do. WAYYYY too many people spend money on go-fast mods and have no idea how to even drive a 100 hp civic well, and then think they are Jensen Button and have 400+ hp on tap. the car is not dangerous, stop the nonsense. it's aggravating though that the TC cannot be turned completely off as it is not very natural handling at the limit with the brakes coming on and off. booo to you nissan for not being able to turn off all aids.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
ghost2good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here a good video explain what it does excatly
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

In rain and snow, if you punch the throttle while cornering, rear end will break traction and you will be able to sustain drift when VDC is turned off. When VDC is on, the car would cut fuel, apply brake or do whatever it takes to straighten the car.

Try turning it off in the rain or snow, then you'll notice the difference. In dry condition, difference is not very noticeable unless you put the pedal to the metal or if your tires are bald.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Holy Thread Revival Batman! This thread is over 2 years old!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM
G37CPA

Originally Posted by indycase
DO NOT drive with the VDC off unless of course you know how the car handles with it off.. It's very dangerous and even with ATTESA, it's back end happy. Only turn it off if you're trying to get unstuck from snow or mud/sand etc. .. or the track if you insist! :P. :P
So, you feel no car without traction control is safe to drive, then? I guess we were living on the edge years back before cars came with traction control. I feel fortunate
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Revived by a first time poster (here). It happens often.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 AM
R37sedan

The VDC button has been a long time nemesis of mine. And I am very familiar with all the stories and myths about it. Simple truth is any 2003 and on awd G will fight very hard before it will let you really get the a@$ out, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it to do some semi decent slides. I religiously hit the button on my latest Blk on Blk G37xS sedan before I even put my car in drive, regardless of sun, rain, or ice. I'll be the first to say it's absolutely the most annoying thing on all G35x sedan's since 2003 and the many new coupe, convertables, sedans and g37x's, AND EVEN WORSE ON THE NEW Q's... I myself have had one version or another in various configurations (35 and 37 coupes and sedan's, rwd, awd, 1 manual 06 g35 sedan, multiple auto's and since then I refused to buy something else. Coming from a guy who built and drove a 99 Dodge Dakota R/T short cab that was extremely moddifed, shaved, lowered, the 360ci V8 putting out over 370 ft-lbs of torque and NO!!! TRACTION CONTROL for 6 years before buying a G, it also had a rwd light pick-up running straight pipes until 05.(I still miss it) My head gasket was leaking and it became to hard to get it through inspection once NJ made every inspection tag linked to the shops that passed them you couldn't say, go to Newark and give a guy a couple crisp Benny's to get you through without the chance he could be fined over $15,000, lose a shop, and even jailed. So I said I need something kinda classy, for a 24yo I was doing well for myself and also caught myself staring at a black on black G35x sedan, less than a year old, only 7000 miles, alot for the period but it was a older gentleman's work car who never even took the wraps off the floormats. So i bought it. And several more another black g35x and a lakeshore slate 6spd sedan with the NISMO parts but with cream interior. (eww, I soon started hating that) an now drive a 06 G37xS sedan, as for the VDC, the difference with it on or off seems to be more that the slip light will come on sooner and your ignition is retarded to keep it in check sooner with it on but we are talking about .0001's of a second not anything major. The G37xS sedan is a pretty good one to get the hang of drifting any g with awd. And it is possible to get by the stability control, which is what is making your G's stop sliding. That's a long story and requires removing at the least the center console to find where the central gryoscopic based controller is located and figuring out exactly which wire you'll want to splice in a harness to install a switch which when cut off will give you jlno sudden cut of power or make your car go into 'limp' mode. Mess with whatever fuses you may hear will help you drift a g35/37, or Q, idk the numbers, but any special lack or change in fuses won't make an awd Infinti drift, period. sorry, I won't be buying a Q, changing the, styling, name and making the G37's slower but more expensive in relation to the earlier G's than they have been since 09 has to be the dumbest idea Nissan could have made. Btw, on 06 g35x sedan's, that wire that needed a switch was brown I have not dived into my latest cars internals yet, but if I do I will share what I find out. Sorry for being long winded. I hate the fact that they could have made our cars better with a 10 cent button but didn't. But I will always love my G's...

Last edited by R37sedan; 10-14-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: just a mistyped year, I have an 09 not 06.
The following users liked this post:
Mindows7 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Deja vu!!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Nevermind the snow, anytime it rains you can see what happens when you apply too much throttle in the middle of a corner with VDC off.
Not much in the X A bit of slip till the fronts kick and then your at double the speed limit. Me obliviously in the rain today..."Why is everyone driving so slow?"
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Rwd x

Originally Posted by R37sedan
The VDC button has been a long time nemesis of mine. And I am very familiar with all the stories and myths about it. Simple truth is any 2003 and on awd G will fight very hard before it will let you really get the a@$ out, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it to do some semi decent slides. I religiously hit the button on my latest Blk on Blk G37xS sedan before I even put my car in drive, regardless of sun, rain, or ice. I'll be the first to say it's absolutely the most annoying thing on all G35x sedan's since 2003 and the many new coupe, convertables, sedans and g37x's, AND EVEN WORSE ON THE NEW Q's... I myself have had one version or another in various configurations (35 and 37 coupes and sedan's, rwd, awd, 1 manual 06 g35 sedan, multiple auto's and since then I refused to buy something else. Coming from a guy who built and drove a 99 Dodge Dakota R/T short cab that was extremely moddifed, shaved, lowered, the 360ci V8 putting out over 370 ft-lbs of torque and NO!!! TRACTION CONTROL for 6 years before buying a G, it also had a rwd light pick-up running straight pipes until 05.(I still miss it) My head gasket was leaking and it became to hard to get it through inspection once NJ made every inspection tag linked to the shops that passed them you couldn't say, go to Newark and give a guy a couple crisp Benny's to get you through without the chance he could be fined over $15,000, lose a shop, and even jailed. So I said I need something kinda classy, for a 24yo I was doing well for myself and also caught myself staring at a black on black G35x sedan, less than a year old, only 7000 miles, alot for the period but it was a older gentleman's work car who never even took the wraps off the floormats. So i bought it. And several more another black g35x and a lakeshore slate 6spd sedan with the NISMO parts but with cream interior. (eww, I soon started hating that) an now drive a 06 G37xS sedan, as for the VDC, the difference with it on or off seems to be more that the slip light will come on sooner and your ignition is retarded to keep it in check sooner with it on but we are talking about .0001's of a second not anything major. The G37xS sedan is a pretty good one to get the hang of drifting any g with awd. And it is possible to get by the stability control, which is what is making your G's stop sliding. That's a long story and requires removing at the least the center console to find where the central gryoscopic based controller is located and figuring out exactly which wire you'll want to splice in a harness to install a switch which when cut off will give you jlno sudden cut of power or make your car go into 'limp' mode. Mess with whatever fuses you may hear will help you drift a g35/37, or Q, idk the numbers, but any special lack or change in fuses won't make an awd Infinti drift, period. sorry, I won't be buying a Q, changing the, styling, name and making the G37's slower but more expensive in relation to the earlier G's than they have been since 09 has to be the dumbest idea Nissan could have made. Btw, on 06 g35x sedan's, that wire that needed a switch was brown I have not dived into my latest cars internals yet, but if I do I will share what I find out. Sorry for being long winded. I hate the fact that they could have made our cars better with a 10 cent button but didn't. But I will always love my G's...
Try this: MOD: Make your X 100% RWD. NO JOKE - G35Driver
The following users liked this post:
Mindows7 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 PM
R37sedan

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a shot. My 37 needs some chassis mods before I push it any farther in slides. I get to much flex between the transitions from one slide to another in a slide. But have an enclosed lift on Saturdays so I will get to the underside. And check this out. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: G37x and VDC