Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weekend drive - impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
EKinNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weekend drive - impressions

after taking delivery last monday, the car has been sitting in the parking lot all week and ive been itching to drive it. decided to take it out this weekend, down to atlantic city for some fun

coming from a 2.5L 160hp altima, the G feels like driving a boat - it feels like a big heavy car. but once you get used to it, and feel the 330hp under your foot, driving it is the the only slight issue being that the car easily drifts within the lane - is our steering THAT sensitive? or, it could've been the 3 hours of sleep i had gotten that night

sadly, a long stretch of GSP is undergoing road work so i got a rock chip on the front bumper. other than that, i just have to clean all the bugs off the bumper, mirrors, and windshield, and shell be shining again
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I came from a blazer, so the steering feels VERY tight to me as well (but hey, tighter is better right )

don't worry about the rock chips, I just picked up a can of touch up paint from the dealership and hit them up after every long drive
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
EKinNYC

yeah, i think ill do that. gotta hit up the dealer anyway for some wheel locks and all-weather mats.

what's a good bug&tar cleaner? my local auto store has turtle wax brand, but thats about it. they dont carry any premium stuff, i think meguiar's gold class is as high as they go.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used the turtle wax bug/tar remover (black bottle with green label) since I got the G and it works AMAZINGLY. I love that stuff...I think it's the only thing in my entire detailing aresonal that isn't from DI.

It also works really well as a goo-gone substitute (on any application) and at killing bugs haha I've used it several times to kill big cockroaches here in SC
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
wheres the construction on the GSP?

im going to AC this weekend and im gonna have a minty fresh painted bumper.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
EKinNYC

id avoid GSP then lol. its on both sides of GSP so you get hit going there AND back.

i didnt catch the mile markers where they are doing road work, so this may not be accurate. its a good 15-20 mile stretch (theyre doing everything from rebuilding overpasses to adding lanes and possibly building new rest areas). i wanna say it starts around exit 70 or so.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EKinNYC
after taking delivery last monday, the car has been sitting in the parking lot all week and ive been itching to drive it. decided to take it out this weekend, down to atlantic city for some fun

coming from a 2.5L 160hp altima, the G feels like driving a boat - it feels like a big heavy car. but once you get used to it, and feel the 330hp under your foot, driving it is the the only slight issue being that the car easily drifts within the lane - is our steering THAT sensitive? or, it could've been the 3 hours of sleep i had gotten that night

sadly, a long stretch of GSP is undergoing road work so i got a rock chip on the front bumper. other than that, i just have to clean all the bugs off the bumper, mirrors, and windshield, and shell be shining again
Check your tire pressure, 32 psi may cause the car to feel soft and and lean from side to side. I have good experience with 35 or 36psi cold.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
XSman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EKinNYC
yeah, i think ill do that. gotta hit up the dealer anyway for some wheel locks and all-weather mats.

what's a good bug&tar cleaner? my local auto store has turtle wax brand, but thats about it. they dont carry any premium stuff, i think meguiar's gold class is as high as they go.
Tarminator by Stoners is what I use for road tar, tree sap, bugs etc...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM
EKinNYC

picked up some of the turtle wax stuff.... it did a good job on removing the bugs from the paint. not so good with the glass (had to scrub the glass really hard) but i think i just need to let it soak a couple of minutes longer.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
EKinNYC

Originally Posted by CodeG
Check your tire pressure, 32 psi may cause the car to feel soft and and lean from side to side. I have good experience with 35 or 36psi cold.
finally measured the tire pressure - dealer had the tires filled up to 46psi cold

i dropped each to 36 cold, and it feels much better. thanks for the tip!!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
lokitiw

That tells me that the dealer never checked your tires. That high pressure is put in to strap the car down tight onto the carrier. I would watch that dealer on any work you have done. That is sooo basic.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM
buffpatel
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread, I check the pressure in my car. All 4 tires were filled to 42psi cold from the dealer! I'm surprised that the TPMS didn't seem to know the tires were overinflated. Does TPMS only detect if tires are deflated, or just if one tire is different than others? Maybe since all 4 tires were the same pressure, it couldn't tell anything was wrong?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
EKinNYC

yikes!! good to know the dealer prepped the car for delivery.... im surprised they took the tape off and put gas in it haha
Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
jwoods986

Congrats on your new ride. That's funny that you say the G feels like a boat, I'm coming from an Audi RS6, which was about 4200 lbs and had very heavy steering, so the G feels light as a feather to me

I'm going to check my tire pressure asap, you guys have me paranoid now -lol.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
EKinNYC

haha, yeah my 3100lb altima felt nimble by comparison.
though i do have to say, after driving the G for a month now, it feels much better. guess it wasnt just the extra weight, but had to get used to it anyway.

Quick Reply: weekend drive - impressions