G37 Sedan

Looks like I need a better alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Krugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I need a better alarm

And I know almost nothing about them.

So this is partially my fault, but I think something hit the unlock button on my wife's fob & somebody else got into my car and took my gps, traffic sensor, cradle, and the $1.50 coffee change I had in the ash tray. All of this is, of course, just under my deductable.

I'm thinking if I had an after market alarm, I should have been woken up when they tried to open the door - unlocked or otherwise.

Anyway, I know zippo about them so I'm looking for ideas...

I spent a couple minutes poking around future shop, but I'm not sure I trust their installers with my G37X.

As a bonus, anyone in make some recommendations for installers in Ottawa (Canada) If I do get an alarm?

Thanks all!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generally the unlock button also disarms the alarm so it would not have helped you in this case.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Krugar

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Generally the unlock button also disarms the alarm so it would not have helped you in this case.
That's why I was thinking of getting an aftermarket system. I thought if it was using it's own fob, the second alarm would still be armed if infiniti fob gets bumped again...

But as I admitted, I know little about it.

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
What year is your G? If 09/10, you may consider getting the Impact Sensor. Doesn't help your fob issue but it is extra protection.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 AM
OHyeaCooL

that's sort of an inconvenience? Carrying around two key fobs and arming and disarming both every time you get in or out...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Krugar

It's a 2009 and yeah after some thought, arming & disarming 2 alarms would be a pain.

Aside from catching the miscreant & slowly skinning him, I'm open to suggestions. I'd thought of getting a better alarm before taking delivery, but balked at the last minute.

Still I miss the remote start from my previous car, but I'm not anxious to leave a fob in the car. Have they solved that mess yet?

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Did this happen overnight/over the course of a few hours? If so, don't keep valuables like that in your car.

If the car is unlocked via the fob, there's nothing you can do.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i got the titan alarm installed in my FX. even got the remote starter and the text to start option and all indicator. if you have cell coverage you car will text you it is being broken into as well as other things like low battery. this worked whil i was in Korea and the car was in canada. Pretty cool.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If the car is unlocked via the fob, and doors are not opened within ~45 seconds, it will automatically lock, under the assumption that the button was mistakenly pressed.

This is pretty standard on all cars with a remote from the factory...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Krugar

Originally Posted by Mike
If the car is unlocked via the fob, and doors are not opened within ~45 seconds, it will automatically lock, under the assumption that the button was mistakenly pressed.

This is pretty standard on all cars with a remote from the factory...
I must have bad luck, I can't remember any of my GMs doing that. If the G37 is supposed to do that, can you tell me where to check the settings in case it was accidentally turned off?

So I'm not completely sure when it happened - I had the GPS Saturday, I finished driving around 6pm ish and spent the evening in my home office - car in the laneway. Sunday morning, no GPS.

There was no apparent damage to the car, but everything had been riffled through. My wife got out first and says the doors were unlocked.

So if the G was supposed to relock in 45 seconds, something went wrong. I'm typically **** retentive about locking it so I'm pretty sure it was locked.

Anyway the only thing valuable I kept in the car was the GPS, so lesson learned I guess.

Shumby - does the titan alarm require you leave a fob in the car for the remote start?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah if you accidentally unlock it and no one opens a door, it should relock itself. It's possible you just forgot to lock it in the first place?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Yeah if you accidentally unlock it and no one opens a door, it should relock itself. It's possible you just forgot to lock it in the first place?
That would be the logical assumption.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I don't believe you can turn off the "autolock" setting. As has been said all cars have this now. If you accidently hit the unlock button and do not enter your car during a designated time period, like 30-45 seconds it will lock itself. Once you or the bad guys OPEN the door it will remain open until you physically relock it yourself via the door switch or keyfob.

-yeah, looks like we all responded at the same time with the same info.....
Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Krugar

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Anything's possible, but like I said I'm pretty **** about locking it. I'll check with the kids to see if they went out to the car for anything. They haven't gone into my jacket or my wife's purse previously, but you never know.

I'll test out the auto lock just to make sure I don't have a problem with it. I assume if I walk out over lunch & unlock the car it should be relocked if I do nothing in say 2 minutes to be sure?

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Krugar

So I tried it out and the doors relock after 60 seconds if you don't open one.

And my oldest fessed up to getting her bag out of the back later that night so the picture of what happened is coming into focus.

So I guess I have to decide if I want a remote start still or not. After starting to read up, I'm liking the features of the Viper 5902. Anyone successfully put one in their G37?

Cheers!