Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

*FIX for high-pitch frequency noise*

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So Ozzy, you going to keep her now???
Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah, I guess for the time being - I sure do miss eight big fat cylinders, but the G really is a great car and it is nice not to deal with suspension parts failing or cars throwing weirdo codes left and right, failing fuel pumps, trim falling off, etc. I guess if you love a car enough you will put up with that sort of stuff - everybody has their tolerances. This eeeeeee was almost the worst though, of all my car problems ever, and it's not technically even a problem, lol! Should have played my guitar louder in my bands, I guess. I was never too careful, and stood right next to the drum kit, and I can still hear like a ****. The minute car arrived, I could hear it like evil Japanese engineers were trying slice my audio cortex in half with tiny little space lasers eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

But now - the end is in sight!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
BlueFlash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to those who got the fix, please update this thread once in a while if you hear any similar noises popping back up in the cabin...I just want to make sure that we got a long-term fix and not some patch that will wear out
Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dammit.. well I started getting the service engine soon with a code p1421. I made a thread about it here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ode-p1421.html

By reading what that says it is caused by the ECM which is what the dealer replaced to fix the high pitch noise. I took it in to the dealer and they said they have no fix for this right now and the 'service engine soon' light will keep coming back.

anyone else getting this warning light as well??? looks like infiniti fixes one problem but in return will cause another. I am very close to trading this car in, 40K for a car that is constantly having issues cant imagine this car at 50,000 miles.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Herkypilot

You gotta be kidding! I just got my car back today after getting the ECM replaced for the high pitch tone. Now I have a check engine light to look forward to!?!?! I hope that's not the case. I just drove home from the dealership in a state of euphoria think'n all was well with the world as my car was now fixed. Oh well, I guess that's why ignorance is bliss! The ECM replacement did fix the high pitch tone problem.

HP

Last edited by Herkypilot; 02-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:50 PM
beerme986

maybe my 'service engine soon' is an isolated issue but the fact that the cause of my light is related to the ECM, just makes me strongly believe there is a connection.

They reset the light again and hopefully it just never comes back.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Herkypilot

I'll keep an eye on it and post if I get something.

HP
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
beerme986

dammit the light came back on again. Checked the details for this error and found the following causes for it:

ECM does not control ignition timing and engine
idle speed properly when engine is started with
prewarming up condition.
• Lack of intake air volume
• Fuel injection system
• ECM

ECM!!! guess what the fix is for this if the light keeps coming on?? REPLACE ECM. time to call consumer affairs again.

Last edited by beerme986; 02-20-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 AM
beerme986

For those that got ECM replaced. After driving your car and its warmed up, can you turn it off, wait like 10 seconds, turn it on again. and repeat a couple times. want to see if you guys get 'service engine soon' light. thanks!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
atlantag37

I just got mine replaced this week on my 09 g37 I bought in November. I sent the service manager at my dealership a link to the original long thread to get them to investigate for me. They said they initially heard no noises when I took it back 2 weeks after buying it and said they couldn't call the tech line and say I had a high pitched noise coming from my car that they wouldn't know what they were talking about. Evidently telling them they sold me a car with a known issue got the ball rolling I made a few friends at consumer affairs. Some were rude some very helpful.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:40 PM
chie888
Registered Member

Originally Posted by atlantag37
I just got mine replaced this week on my 09 g37 I bought in November. I sent the service manager at my dealership a link to the original long thread to get them to investigate for me. They said they initially heard no noises when I took it back 2 weeks after buying it and said they couldn't call the tech line and say I had a high pitched noise coming from my car that they wouldn't know what they were talking about. Evidently telling them they sold me a car with a known issue got the ball rolling I made a few friends at consumer affairs. Some were rude some very helpful.
Which dealership did you goto? I am in atlanta and I have the same problem but am waiting till I need to get the oil change. Its amazing that we are being treated like dirt. Great luxury experience! :P
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
dammit the light came back on again. Checked the details for this error and found the following causes for it:

ECM does not control ignition timing and engine
idle speed properly when engine is started with
prewarming up condition.
• Lack of intake air volume
• Fuel injection system
• ECM

ECM!!! guess what the fix is for this if the light keeps coming on?? REPLACE ECM. time to call consumer affairs again.
Oh, this is too ridiculous for words. BTW, the luxury experience is totally an infiniiti veneer on top of the rough particle board of Nissan corporate responsibility & ownership - not to be cynical, but my experience is that the Japanese companies are just as wiggly as GM or Chrysler.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
netmag

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
the luxury experience is totally an infiniiti veneer on top of the rough particle board of Nissan corporate responsibility & ownership
This is probably true to a certain extent of all car makers. Especially when they're having trouble making a profit. However, I have to be honest and say that I'm surprised (even shocked) that there is even a fix for this for prior year models at all. Seriously, I figured if they even bothered to fix something like this at all they would probably only fix it in the latest model and shaft previous year owner's to save money.

I'm not sure how many other manufacturers would even bother. Some would probably just work extra hard to sweep it under the rug and then maybe quietly fix it later. I mean Toyota did just that with some truly critical components not just something that was a nuisance that some people notice and others didn't. Also there was nothing that showed that Toyota was even going to bother to do the "quietly fix it" part either. Notice how quickly a solution was found to the brake issue once it became a national story. However, apparently they knew about it for years.

I'm not trying to defend Infiniti too much. You shouldn't have to fight the dealer so much. Also, I know you've personally had a lot of issues with your G so you have a right to complain. I'm just saying though that I'm surprised they even stepped up to the plate to fix it for prior year models. It's something that they could have easily chosen to save some bucks on and hang you guys out to dry completely. Other manufacturers wouldn't have thought twice about sweeping something like this under the rug and "maybe" fixing it in the next release.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM
headup

Originally Posted by beerme986
dammit.. well I started getting the service engine soon with a code p1421. I made a thread about it here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ode-p1421.html

By reading what that says it is caused by the ECM which is what the dealer replaced to fix the high pitch noise. I took it in to the dealer and they said they have no fix for this right now and the 'service engine soon' light will keep coming back.

anyone else getting this warning light as well??? looks like infiniti fixes one problem but in return will cause another. I am very close to trading this car in, 40K for a car that is constantly having issues cant imagine this car at 50,000 miles.
Oh goodness. Here we go again. My "service engine soon" light came on, but I didn't think anything of it because I thought I was due for an oil change or something. Now I guess I hop on over to the other thread...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
beerme986

well after doing research for hours and trying many times, I think I found the fix for this service engine light. When there is a new ECM installed, there are certain things that must be done. One of them is this:

Idle Air Volume Learning UBS0035E
DESCRIPTION
“Idle Air Volume Learning” is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
 Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
 Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Reset the code, I disconnected the negative terminal for 5 mins to clear it.
Make sure the car is warmed up first then follow these steps;

5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.

So far no light, i'm crossing my fingers! you can usually trigger this light by turning car off and on a few times when the car engine is warm but as of now i cannot recreate it.

Wonder why my dealer couldnt figure this out and I could. oh i know, cause were better then them. I bet that 70% of the members on this forum know more than a 'service advisor'. Will update if this light comes on again,

Quick Reply: *FIX for high-pitch frequency noise*