G37 Sedan

Accident due to throttle surge while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by digitaldistorte
I believe in the case of Toyota's, the car would NOT let them shift into neutral, and the only way to actually get it to stop was to shut the car off.
The trans physically locks you out of neutral? That is NEVER the case unless the trans is faulty. Going from D to N in any car doesn't require you to press the shift-lock-release button. Going from N to R does. Going from R to N typically does not either (and neither does going from N to D)

Then again, I drive a MT....
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM
4wheelkillr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitaldistorte
I believe in the case of Toyota's, the car would NOT let them shift into neutral, and the only way to actually get it to stop was to shut the car off.
I'm sure that's what they said of course because that helps them further blame toyota for some failure that didn't really happen.

THe question then is HOW did the car choose to not allow them to shift to neutral. Every car I've ever seen or driven the shift can be moved while driving. In the case of neutral you don't even have to touch the button. It'll move from reverse to neutral and drive to neutral with just moving the stick, you don't even have to push the bottom. I do it every day when I back out of my driveway. From reverse, thru neutral, and into drive in one movement without ever touching the button. It won't let you go up into reverse from neutral without pushing the button but neutral can be had by just pushing the shifter.

So again, I highly doubt there was anything wrong and the car "wouldn't let them" shift into neutral. I heard the same news report a few weeks ago, this lady who rearended someone said her car took off. She said the brakes didn't work, she couldn't shift to neutral and she couldn't turn it off because the key wouldn't move. Ask yourself this applying Occam's Razor: was this a quadruple system failure involving the gas pedal, shifter, brake, ignition or did the lady just plain rearend someone and try to blame someone else....I think the answer is obvious.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
4wheelkillr

Originally Posted by Mike
The trans physically locks you out of neutral? That is NEVER the case unless the trans is faulty. Going from D to N in any car doesn't require you to press the shift-lock-release button. Going from N to R does. Going from R to N typically does not either (and neither does going from N to D)

Then again, I drive a MT....
DAMN! you must have posted this as I was typing my own response!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
digitaldistorte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought i heard that there was some sort of "electronic" lockout where the trans would shift into neutral, but it was still accelerating in gear. Because yeah, that's the first thing I would do...

Edit - from a claimaint:
[Quote source = "http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123341958"]
FRANK LANGFITT: Nancy Bernstein(ph) was driving her Prius in Wisconsin in the summer of 2007. She was following her husband, who was riding with other bikers along a winding road.

Ms. NANCY BERNSTEIN: I had the car just take off on a sudden acceleration.

LANGFITT: Bernstein says the speedometer raced from 45 to 70. She steered to avoid hitting the cyclists.

Ms. BERNSTEIN: I put the emergency brake on. I had both feet on the brake pedal. I was pulling up against the steering wheel. I was trying to shift into neutral - it wouldn't go into neutral for me. I tried to stop it with the power button. That wouldn't work. The only reason it stopped was, I think, the brakes melted together.
[/Quote]
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Yes, they would in the litigious-crazed US of A. Anyone ask all the people who reportedly had "runaway" cars why they didn't just shift into neutral? Drivers who are too stupid to know enough to do that are also too stupid to be trusted with various stories of their car being out of control and them being a "victim."

Growing up many years ago in the Great Lakes region, with old mechanical throttles, you knew that if ice built-up in the car in the winter, the throttle might stick. You learned to pull it up from below with your toe, or to shift to neutral until you could reset it (i.e, kick it or shut the car off until you melted the snow/ice). Of course we were driving rear wheel drive cars with bias ply tires and no electronic nannies whatsoever, so you had to be a bit more self-sufficient.

Anyone wonder how these "runaway" issues are always with automatic transmission cars only, even when there is a manual version with the identical engine and throttle? Or why they occur disproportionately in the US, even when the identical car is available in Europe--or even Canada for that matter? The only differences I am aware of relate to driver licensing standards (much higher in Europe and Japan than USA and Canada); proliferation of automatic transmissions (almost universal in USA and Canada and a minority everywhere else); ability to win a lawsuit for these sorts of claims (decent chance in USA and almost zero everywhere else in the world).

Yes, there is a small issue with some mechanical wear in some Toyota throttles, so they are fixing/replacing them. It is hardly in proportion to the media hysteria and the owners of their competitors GM and Chrysler (US Government) prosecuting them to the max. How about some real consumer protection from lemons and other pervasive quality problems? Ooops, that would favour Toyota and harm the domestic manufacturers, so I am betting we won't see that anytime soon.

While I agree with you to some extent. There is evidence that Toyota of EUROPE actually had lots of problems with unintended acceleration and it didn't get sent to other areas.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Beer Magazine

But I do agree that some of the problems seem like it's a case of "blame" and not really the truth.

I don't know what happened with the OPs car. I have a new 09 Vert and felt the dumb rev match make the car move buck under braking. I had a VW or 2 do the same. I did pose the question to my wife of what to do if this or something similar happened and she didn't say the obvious things of neutral and turn the car off. One guy at work was scared that there would be no power brakes (we used to stop cars without them).

So there is a lesson to be learned. But with everything becoming "electronic" these days...throttle, brakes, steering...there aren't actual linkages between things we need. And like all computers they may fail.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Mike

I would love to see people have both feet on the brake pedal, cuz my left foot wouldn't be able to find it. The muscle memory just isn't there (and my brake pedal isn't big enough for 2 feet to be on it)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by 4wheelkillr

The whole thing was really spawned by that off-duty highway patrol officer that crashed the borrowed lexus and killed himself and 3 other people. Yes it was tragic, I'm not saying it wasnt. But they had enough time to accelerate to 130mph in a lexus ES AND call 911 for help and couldn't turn the car off, hit the brakes, or switch to neutral? No? Well then BLAME TOYOTA!!

If the throttle was stuck, how is it not Toyota's fault?

I think it’s pretty obvious that Toyota has a problem with unintended acceleration with their cars.

I really don’t give a f—k if people sue. The fact is Toyota has defective throttle components and they are responsible for anything bad that comes from this.

Last edited by x95stacey; 03-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Don't forget the Audi "sudden acceleration" issue from the 1980s - 1990s. People were having accidents becuase they claimed that their Audi suddenly accelerated. Audi was quick to point out that their European and American cars used the exact same accelerator assembly (back then it was all mechanical) and yet the complaints only came from the US. It didn't matter, there were 60 Minute news stories and every network had a special about the "Audi death traps". No fault was ever found but it took Audi a while to rebuild their image (that's partly why they renamed all their cars to Ax starting in the 1990s).
How could I forget it? Back at the time I bought a used '87 manual transmission, top of the line 5000 CD turbo quattro sedan for next to nothing because the prices for all Audis went into the toilet because of the "scandal"--even ones with sticks that were never claimed to be affected. That car was the most reliable and amazing car (for its time) I have ever owned (had it for 5 years). Too bad my more recent Audi was a problem-prone pain in the &*^.

Other posters are correct about the lawsuit business. Poor Audi tried to use German logic to illustrate that you could floor the throttle, even in the more powerful turbo model, and the brakes would easily hold or stop the car. I can attest that even the turbo didn't have that much power, but the brakes were awesome, as to be expected from a top of the line German sedan designed for Autobahn speeds. The 60 minutes did their fake video and showed a few people crying who had (tragically) panicked and killed their own loved ones by pressing the wrong pedal and it was all over for Audi in North America for more than a decade. I am happy to see that consumers are smarter than that today and Toyota's sales look like they are just temporarily dented. Unlike Audi at the time, which was a niche player and definitely did NOT have a great reliability record, today too many people know that, as appliances at least, Toyota's are great cars.

I do not believe there is any evidence that a Toyota prevented anyone from shifting into neutral.

There is tons of evidence that Toyota's brakes will hold and stop the car even when the throttle is wide open.

There is a very insignificant sticking issue with some worn throttles in Toyota's--which they are fixing with a 29 cent piece of steel. As far as I know, they are not replacing the throttles with new ones even if they are worn.

Toyota does not use an electronic cut-off like Infiniti, so that throttle is cut when the brakes are depressed, but then neither do many other manufacturers and in the olden days of mechanical throttles, no cars had that. Any sporting driver knows that there are many times you want to be able to balance the car in a turn by modulating the brakes while continuing to apply throttle. I guess Infiniti isn't so sporting after all (but Toyota is?). Even if Toyota adopts this, it could still fail (as some on this board claim they have had it do in their G's) and you still need to shift into neutral.

Yes, the throttle issue affected cars in Europe and elsewhere (including Canada where the throttles were manufactured...a few minutes from where I live). Only in the US is there a litigious frenzy occurring. I don't think it's because Americans are less intelligent. It may be affected the general culture of fear that your media and politicians stoke at every opportunity. But I think it is more likely the result of your legal system that promotes these sorts of lawsuits for every imaginable scenario. Why is that the case? Find out whether lawyers in other jurisdictions can be paid a percentage of the settlement in these sorts of cases and you will discover why they are generally not pursued in other (non-US) places.

Last edited by Marc Collins; 03-05-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, they would in the litigious-crazed US of A. Anyone ask all the people who reportedly had "runaway" cars why they didn't just shift into neutral? Drivers who are too stupid to know enough to do that are also too stupid to be trusted with various stories of their car being out of control and them being a "victim."

The Toyota/Lexus car models in question are electronically prevented from shifting in neutral when above a certain speed. That is, they drivers could not shift into neutral when the problem presented itself.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
The Toyota/Lexus car models in question are electronically prevented from shifting in neutral when above a certain speed. That is, they drivers could not shift into neutral when the problem presented itself.
Proof?
There is tons of evidence that Toyota's brakes will hold and stop the car even when the throttle is wide open.
I'm not disputing this statement, but the average driver will not floor their brakes. My belief is that they will gradually increase brake pedal pressure, but by the time they exert enough force, the pads have sufficiently overheated enough where they are not providing the braking force necessary to stop the vehicle.

Street pads don't have much tolerance. I guarantee you ANY production Toyota will heat their brake pads out of their operating temperature range doing a 70-0 panic stop. Infiniti's brakes do, and I'm pretty sure everyone here can agree with that.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
As Mike asked...proof? I don't think a design of that sort is even legal, let alone logical. You ALWAYS need to be able to shift into neutral, just as you ALWAYS have the option to depress the clutch in a manual tranny car. What possible reason would a manufacturer have to prevent this most obvious necessary action? It would cost them extra to do this and serves no purpose whatsoever. Doing it would risk lives and lawsuits galore. No manufacturer would ever choose that self-destructive path.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Mike

As Mike asked...proof? I don't think a design of that sort is even legal, let alone logical. You ALWAYS need to be able to shift into neutral, just as you ALWAYS have the option to depress the clutch in a manual tranny car. What possible reason would a manufacturer have to prevent this most obvious necessary action? It would cost them extra to do this and serves no purpose whatsoever. Doing it would risk lives and lawsuits galore. No manufacturer would ever choose that self-destructive path.
Just to add, in a MT, you can always just pull the trans into neutral without clutching...
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
PascalT

I've read the whole thread but as a 2010 xs sedan should I be worried at all when using my car now? From what i've read there's no report of it happening on 2010 models yet..
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the question of the Toyota/Lexus issue is how the multiple on board computer systems communicate and whether they can get into a state where they ignore commands because one of the computers believes the command is incorrect. Remember the initial Airbus incident at the Paris Air Show where the plane's control systems ignored the pilot's commands to increase thrust and climb because it determined that the plane's attitude was in a pre-landing state? There were comments on 60 minutes by the company claiming the crash was "soft" because the computer handled the situation well (!?!).

It's all about how the software handles these cases. In the Toyota case there are many blogs with actual experiences including conversation with a Toyata service technician that apparently admitted he experienced similar issues but backtracked after the situation started getting more publicity. Remember that the family that died after the car crashed at over 100 MPH was being driven by an 19 year veteran CHP officer who's job involved vehicle safety inspections so it's logical to assume he was more knowledgeable than the average person on what to do.

Also comparing to a MT is, as pointed out, a very different setup as the clutch pedal is a physical connection to clutch plate, whereas the AT in these newer cars are electronically controlled so even shifting to N or P is not a mechanical connection between the shift lever and the gears. From our service manual:

The A/T senses vehicle operating conditions through various sensors or signals. It always controls the optimum shift position and reduces shifting and lock-up shocks.

TCM FUNCTION
The function of the TCM is to:
• Receive input signals sent from various switches and sensors.
• Determine required line pressure, shifting point, lock-up operation, engine brake operation, etc.
• Send required output signals to the respective solenoids.

My input to this is basically that the evidence points to something other than a stuck accelerator pedal based on the numerous documented cases. I would not be surprised if the solution involved significant software changes in the Toyota situations. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Accident due to throttle surge while braking