Sponsored by:

G37 Sedan Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stardust
ok, other then the exhaust
So the Tanabe Medallion exhaust doesn't fit the sedan?

Edit: Or do I have to get the Tanabe Medalion for the 07-08 G35 Sedan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TANAB...#ht_2592wt_906

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 08-26-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 AM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
What's the least obnoxious exhaust that still give good gains? And is there an ideal HFC - catback combo example that is NOT raspy or drone-y that still gives good gains?I want a good catback, and HFCs, but I can't take the rasp, or an overwhelming amount of noise, or drone on the freeway....looking for th mahic combo, I guess...
Check out the Stillen Exhaust for the Sedans, sounds fantastic while not being obtrusive or raspy. I have a video up under the media share section. I have ZERO regrets with purchasing the Stillen unit.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 AM
GxS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Or do I have to get the Tanabe Medalion for the 07-08 G35 Sedan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TANAB...#ht_2592wt_906
The Tanabes are axle backs and I don't think Infiniti revised the rear of the car so I really don't see why the 07-08 wouldn't be able to work on your '09
Old 08-27-2009, 02:08 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
Check out the Stillen Exhaust for the Sedans, sounds fantastic while not being obtrusive or raspy. I have a video up under the media share section. I have ZERO regrets with purchasing the Stillen unit.
hey thanks - I heard and saw the stillen - I thought sound was very nice and low, and was very attractive with good gains. Want to match it with a Cobb...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 AM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
hey thanks - I heard and saw the stillen - I thought sound was very nice and low, and was very attractive with good gains. Want to match it with a Cobb...
Yeah, i'm actually thinking about buying a Cobb. The place that tunes my 240sx for me specializes in Subura's and they tune Cobb ALL DAY. I dynoed at 290whp in 4th gear with Injen CAI and Stillen Exhaust and the AFR was RICH. I'm thinking a good tuner could pull anywhere from 10 to 20whp out of the G37 just in correcting the fuel trims!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by GxS
The Tanabes are axle backs and I don't think Infiniti revised the rear of the car so I really don't see why the 07-08 wouldn't be able to work on your '09
Cool! Yeah, I'm not looking for more power, just a better sound. So a full cat back would be a waste of money for me. The car has more than enough power for me as is! Plus, I think the Tanabes have the best looking tips. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Cool! Yeah, I'm not looking for more power, just a better sound. So a full cat back would be a waste of money for me. The car has more than enough power for me as is! Plus, I think the Tanabes have the best looking tips. Thanks!
Me too. Full cat-back exhaust isn't going to do jack on this car if you keep the stock cats. Tanabe axle-back is way overpriced. I'm looking for a used pair.

I would like someone to make aftermarket mid-pipe for G37 sedan. I think the OEM mid-pipe is what really calms down the stock exhaust. It would also be inexpensive because no need for fancy tips. I also like the way the back of the car looks with the OEM exhaust.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
WildcatG

Don't mean to thread-jack, and this is related to modding, so hopefully you guys don't mind.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding, so I've been following threads like this si I know at least something if I ever decide to mod my sedan in the future.

My question is: why do people seem to focus and intakes, high flow cats, and exhausts, but I rarely see talk about headers?

They seem to give decent gains (or maybe it's just marketing): http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...5060c4341bc252

Are they a pain to install?

Do you need to have and HFC and after market exhaust to get the benefit of headers?

There is a disclaimer on that link that they might not be 50 state legal...is that it?

And while I'm thread jacking, how do all these different mods affect gas mileage? (I know this isn't a deciding factor for most people - I'm just curious). Stillen's cat-back exhaust advertises mileage gains at highway speeds. do people actually see that? I guess this makes sense if the exhaust has less restriction and the engine will be able to work easier....but again, I really don't know what I'm talking about, so there could be other things going on here.

Thanks (and sorry for the threadjack)
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
inTgr8r
Proud member of the COFC

.FWIW....

There is NO front sway that will fit the X.
The 2nd gen AWD guys on G35Driver are working with Hotchkis to make one.
Hotchkis needs an AWD in SoCal to do a test fit.

For exhaust;
Stillen and Fast Intentions both fit on the X.
There are 2nd gen G35X guys that have them installed.

In your research for mods you should cross reference the 2nd gen G35X ('07 & '08)
Basically, they are the same car, except the 3.7 engine & trany.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by WildcatG
My question is: why do people seem to focus and intakes, high flow cats, and exhausts, but I rarely see talk about headers?

They seem to give decent gains (or maybe it's just marketing): http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...5060c4341bc252

Are they a pain to install?

Do you need to have and HFC and after market exhaust to get the benefit of headers?

There is a disclaimer on that link that they might not be 50 state legal...is that it?

And while I'm thread jacking, how do all these different mods affect gas mileage? (I know this isn't a deciding factor for most people - I'm just curious). Stillen's cat-back exhaust advertises mileage gains at highway speeds. do people actually see that? I guess this makes sense if the exhaust has less restriction and the engine will be able to work easier....but again, I really don't know what I'm talking about, so there could be other things going on here.

Thanks (and sorry for the threadjack)
Headers are a PITA to install, and do not gain much from the limited testing I have seen. On the older VQ's, maybe 5HP. Install takes a looooong time (6-10 hours). HFC for the same price or less, are going to provide a lot more in terms of gains, and are 10x easier to install. The fact is, our exhaust manifolds are not as restrictive as other parts of the system. Stillen claims outrageous gains on all their products, so I don't trust what they say. Nothing against Stillen, I have used many of their products in the past with mixed reviews, but I never head of someone gaining 12+HP and 18+TQ with headers on a 350Z....

Gas mileage is a product of your right foot more than anything IMO.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Hmmm... I have headers on my '04 Max... compared to all the other mods combined (intake, full exhaust, plenum spacers, VIAS block-off plate, intake, etc.), the headers are the most dramatic performance mod I have done to my car.

And it only took my buddy 3 hours to install. I don't think headers on the G would take much longer.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 AM
jran76

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Hmmm... I have headers on my '04 Max... compared to all the other mods combined (intake, full exhaust, plenum spacers, VIAS block-off plate, intake, etc.), the headers are the most dramatic performance mod I have done to my car.

And it only took my buddy 3 hours to install. I don't think headers on the G would take much longer.
Completely different. I have had a Maxima and a 350Z/G35/G37, and the engine is mounted transversely on the Maxima, and there is 3x the amount of room to get to the headers. I promise it will take you at least 5-6 hours. Go on G35driver or My350Z and ask anyone that has installed headers what they think, and I think you will agree. Really, that is not that big of a deal, but not worth it unless you have done all other possible breathing and tuning mods. Then if you think 6+ hours to install, and 5-10HP is worth $700+, go for it. Headers and Y-pipes seemed to be good mods on the Maxima, but neither does a whole lot on the VQ'ed Z/G. I am pretty sure this is one reason the Maxima puts out a lot less power to start with.... There is more room to improve.

I will add, I am not saying headers are a bad mod. It is just not where I would start, and I would consider waiting for some others to come out. As far as I know Stillen is the only one to offer headers right now. They "claim" 14HP/12TQ, and I think most will agree that Stillen's claims are very generous (most of their products gain half of what they claim at best--they claim 23HP on their 04 G35 sedan exhaust and I got 7HP on mine).

They claim 18HP on their Gen 3 intake for the G37, most people are getting in the 5-10HP range. They claim almost 20HP for their exhaust, and all are getting much less. I think it is safe to say you will get less than the 14HP they claim with their headers. Maybe some others will come out, but I have not seen a G/Z gain more than 10HP by themselves (maybe Crawford headers on the 350Z gained 10+HP, but that is it).

I am all for someone to prove me wrong, and really the cost of the Stillen headers is not bad. I would like to see someone try them out. I would even be willing to contribute some $$ for some before/after dynos. Unfortunately, past testing has shown that our exhaust manifolds breath pretty well compared to other cars.

EDIT: So, I did some searching after I posted this, and I found a good post on another website. I would check it out. It looks like he lost a crap load in the midrange (TQ), and there were negligible HP gains up top (5HP). As usual, Stillen hopped on and said that the gains were not normal, but the dyno's say enough for me about Stillen's headers. Take a look at this: http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...html#post51721. I also found a few post that covered the install, and all said it was a PITA, and a 6+ HR install (and fitment was not great)....

I have attached a picture comparing our factory manifolds/headers to the Stillen (I got this pic from the above link). Not much difference, and I am guessing the Maxima headers look nothing like the stockers on the G37 (my Maxima manifolds looked a lot different).

Name:  DSC_0541.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  91.1 KB

Last edited by jran76; 08-31-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Wes_888

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
.FWIW....

There is NO front sway that will fit the X.
The 2nd gen AWD guys on G35Driver are working with Hotchkis to make one.
Hotchkis needs an AWD in SoCal to do a test fit.

For exhaust;
Stillen and Fast Intentions both fit on the X.
There are 2nd gen G35X guys that have them installed.

In your research for mods you should cross reference the 2nd gen G35X ('07 & '08)
Basically, they are the same car, except the 3.7 engine & trany.
+1

Have you contacted Hotchkis yet Mike? any luck with wanting to ship your car to them?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by jran76
Completely different. I have had a Maxima and a 350Z/G35/G37, and the engine is mounted transversely on the Maxima, and there is 3x the amount of room to get to the headers. I promise it will take you at least 5-6 hours. Go on G35driver or My350Z and ask anyone that has installed headers what they think, and I think you will agree. Really, that is not that big of a deal, but not worth it unless you have done all other possible breathing and tuning mods. Then if you think 6+ hours to install, and 5-10HP is worth $700+, go for it. Headers and Y-pipes seemed to be good mods on the Maxima, but neither does a whole lot on the VQ'ed Z/G. I am pretty sure this is one reason the Maxima puts out a lot less power to start with.... There is more room to improve.

I will add, I am not saying headers are a bad mod. It is just not where I would start, and I would consider waiting for some others to come out.

Word up! Agreed! Honestly, I would never install headers on a car unless the stock manifold has a cat built on to it. That's usually what causes the most restriction. The HP gains are not worth it otherwise.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by Wes_888
+1

Have you contacted Hotchkis yet Mike? any luck with wanting to ship your car to them?
Gonna start a thread on following the Hotchkis communciations.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Mods