Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Trans Issues? Looking for some Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say that my 5AT G37s has the smoothest shifting ever. I drive an Acura TSX as a daily driver and the difference is huge between the 2 trannys. Also, I test drove an '06 Audi A4 and I have to say, it felt like a cheap volkswagon to me. The suspension was weak, the car lacked serious power, and stuff was already breaking, not to mention the 90's style interior.

For once, I am so glad that I bought the 1st year of the gen. I love my problem-free 5AT. Isn't this the first year that INFINITI has made a 7AT?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
netmag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hragarand
Don't get me wrong I love the sportiness of the vehicle and I drive it 99% of the time in D mode. It does not appear as if the engine power and trans are in sync throughout the power band. My 1987 Turbo Buick could not corner worth a darn but the shifts of the automatic 4 were crisp and smooth throughout the power band.

This is the main issue I have and you have to put several pieces of information together to get this real driving situation.

A. The dealership indicated there is nothing wrong with the shifting and the TSB for the harsh 4th to 3rd gear shifting did not have to be applied when I brought it in.

B. Today, post dealership, as you are slowing down to 30mph in D mode with your foot of the gas or while braking the car takes a sudden jump from 1100 rpm to about 1800 rpm and you can feel engine braking for several seconds. I can feel it in the brake pedal.

C. If you are rolling through a curve or making a turn and hit the gas just when B (the rpm spike hits) the hesitation on the acceleration is pronounce and the shifting is not smooth. I get the same hesitation when starting from a start.

I will call the dealership to see what other stops are available to me.
I just noticed that you said you didn't notice it during your test drive. Hmm, that is concerning. Maybe I need to take a few more test drives to be sure.

fyi, my 2nd test drive was at the Hoffman Estates dealership you mentioned. Did they hook up your car to check to see if you had the TSB? If not then I would ask them how can they be sure you have the latest updates?

On a side note, since I've been looking around at these cars, what kind of deal did you get from them for your g37x? Is it a sedan?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
G35Rhino

Don't get me wrong I love the sportiness of the vehicle and I drive it 99% of the time in D mode. It does not appear as if the engine power and trans are in sync throughout the power band. My 1987 Turbo Buick could not corner worth a darn but the shifts of the automatic 4 were crisp and smooth throughout the power band.

This is the main issue I have and you have to put several pieces of information together to get this real driving situation.

A. The dealership indicated there is nothing wrong with the shifting and the TSB for the harsh 4th to 3rd gear shifting did not have to be applied when I brought it in.

B. Today, post dealership, as you are slowing down to 30mph in D mode with your foot of the gas or while braking the car takes a sudden jump from 1100 rpm to about 1800 rpm and you can feel engine braking for several seconds. I can feel it in the brake pedal.

C. If you are rolling through a curve or making a turn and hit the gas just when B (the rpm spike hits) the hesitation on the acceleration is pronounce and the shifting is not smooth. I get the same hesitation when starting from a start.

I will call the dealership to see what other stops are available to me.
I opened another topic regarding "C" a week or so ago. Pronounced...that's a good word for it.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
hragarand

I did not notice the hesitation when slowing down during the test drive. I began to notice the issue more once I read about the 4th to 3rd shift on this board and when I noticed the tach jumping up as the car slowed down as I described earlier. I know I will get use to it or they will find a patch that matches up the trans more to my liking. I just figured it would be smoother to begin with.

Netmag - PM sent.

Last edited by hragarand; 08-04-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
w0ady

ya 09 is the first year for the 7at. i guess there are always issues to be expected with a first year item. then again, the same issues can be said with the 08 g37. with how hard i push my 7at, i noticed some of the rpm flaring but never saw much besides that to complain about.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by w0ady
ya 09 is the first year for the 7at. i guess there are always issues to be expected with a first year item. then again, the same issues can be said with the 08 g37. with how hard i push my 7at, i noticed some of the rpm flaring but never saw much besides that to complain about.
I haven't had any mechanical issues at all with my first production 08.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
djsk

2. Cold start in the morning, in the garage, windows down When placed in reverse I can hear an audible sound like a clicking sound. 1 click that it is. No rough clunk like the trans is engaged just a single click.
I don't have the same issue as you, but I'm wondering if others have the same start up as me.

I wouldn't call it an issue or a problem but it annoys me! I live in Cali, so it's not cold in the morning at all right now. When I cold start the car whenevr it has been idle for a long time, I usually let it warm up for 2 minutes or so. However, in those 2 mintues it sounds like the engine is clicking. As the car warms up the clicking noise slowly goes away. Then as soon as I put it in gear (D or R) the sound completely goes away and the car sounds smooth. Even if I dont let me warm up, as soon as I put it in gear the clicking sound just goes away.

Does anyone else experience this? Am I just being too ****?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
w0ady

Originally Posted by Heat
I haven't had any mechanical issues at all with my first production 08.
maybe not you personally but you are aware of the battery issues some people have had as an example of first year issues.

with anything mechanical there will always be that average 2% failure rate which is probably higher for first run products.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 AM
NOTmyG37

I have issue number 3 from the OP. It seems like the car shifts very rough in auto from 1-2 and 2-3. This is with just light acceleration from a stoplight or driving slowly through a parking lot. My TL shifts much smoother than this. I'm hoping the tranny will smooth itself out after the car is broken in. Only have about 500 miles on the car right now. Does anyone think I should be taking the car into the dealer for this? I haven't quite noticed the other issues yet.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
hragarand

NotmyG37 - you provided a much better example of issue #3 than I did. Exactly what is happening to me. I did not want to give the impression I was having shift issues from 1-2 and 2-3 by romping on the gas from a stop sign or light.

Test drive is set up with a master tech this Friday at Infiniti of Hoffman Estates. Lets see where the process takes us. I understand if the tech agrees with the issues then a call is made to the Infiniti service hot line to start some sort of documentation process.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
brynomon

Originally Posted by djsk
I don't have the same issue as you, but I'm wondering if others have the same start up as me.

I wouldn't call it an issue or a problem but it annoys me! I live in Cali, so it's not cold in the morning at all right now. When I cold start the car whenevr it has been idle for a long time, I usually let it warm up for 2 minutes or so. However, in those 2 mintues it sounds like the engine is clicking. As the car warms up the clicking noise slowly goes away. Then as soon as I put it in gear (D or R) the sound completely goes away and the car sounds smooth. Even if I dont let me warm up, as soon as I put it in gear the clicking sound just goes away.

Does anyone else experience this? Am I just being too ****?
From what I understand the clicking is normal. Re-read the manual. 60 second warmup time is recommended.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM
NOTmyG37

hragarand:

There's a very long thread about the transmission issue everyone is having with a rough 4-3 downshift posted by brynomon. You should check it out if you haven't already.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...downshift.html

People seem to say that getting the transmission reprogrammed by the dealer seems to improve overall shifting of the transmission both up and down. I'm going to mention this to the dealer if I get the chance to bring it in this weekend. I'm closest to the Cerritos dealership here in CA. Seems people have mixed experiences with the dealership with this tranny update. Hope it goes well when I go in.

NotmyG37 - you provided a much better example of issue #3 than I did. Exactly what is happening to me. I did not want to give the impression I was having shift issues from 1-2 and 2-3 by romping on the gas from a stop sign or light.

Test drive is set up with a master tech this Friday at Infiniti of Hoffman Estates. Lets see where the process takes us. I understand if the tech agrees with the issues then a call is made to the Infiniti service hot line to start some sort of documentation process.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 AM
netmag

In haragarand's original post, he mentions that the Master Tech wrote "no update available" on his first receipt.

Was the TSB you gave them the one mentioned in: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...downshift.html

The 1st post in that thread said the TSB wasn't even released until June 24, 2009.
You purchased your car on July 3rd. Unless they just happened to be proactive and updated your car before you drove it home, how could your car have the update? I mean maybe it's possible if your car was fresh on the lot and Infiniti had been applying the update at the factory before they released the TSB. However, I'd want them to confirm that you have the latest trans software just to be sure. (a link to the pdf version of that TSB is on page 7 of the thread).

In fact on that same page (pg 7) of that thread, there area several guys from the chicago area talking about getting the update.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/2687134-post94.html
This guy says he got the update from Hoffman Estates with no problem! So at least you know they must be fully aware of it. I'd just try to get them to confirm for sure that you've got it.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM
KLB

At some point they began building cars with the updated software. Apparently that date was before they got around to releasing the TSB in the US.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
w0ady

ya i want to say cars built a couple months ago already had the update...

Quick Reply: Trans Issues? Looking for some Direction