G37 Sedan

irregular clearbra on bumper installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Invisibra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason, the picture I posted isn't showing, so this is a second attempt:

picture: (Again, this is NOT my work. This is a kit on a Mclaren at the SEMA show in Vegas, with a VERY bad fit)
Attached Thumbnails irregular clearbra on bumper installation?-mclaren1.jpg  

Last edited by Invisibra; 06-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by Invisibra
I agree that there are poor installers, whether it is a custom install, OR a kit. That is how I started my earlier post, however, even on kits, some trimming is often required. There are also a lot of vehicles that no kit exists for. I'd REALLY not want someone who only has kit experience trying to do a custom install on my motorcycle tank, fairings, or on a 50's classic hotrod, etc.

With a kit there shuoldnt be any cutting on the car. If you have to trim the kit you didnt install it properly. As far as motorcycles, I havent ran across one yet that there isnt a kit for. And classic cars, I will make a pattern with transfer tape, trim the film, then apply it. Still no cutting on the car.

However, whether it is a kit, or custom, it is the experience that counts most. But, years of experience isn't always the determining factor. Like you said, it is an art form. I was doing better work than those that trained me within the first year or two, because I cared about the job & customer satisfaction.

Agreed

Nothing beats examples of work. If you can SEE the installers work, that is best.

I agree that 3M has more orange peel than some, however, I have a sample of material that I removed from an AUDI. It is DARK brown. I've seen and used many competitors products, & while they may go on perfect, many of them show the 'dirt' from road grim, that embeds itself into the product, causing it to look dirty prematurely.

I have yet to see either of my films do that. I have seen 3M craze though do to high heat. And I have seen a fungus grow in the cracks. 3M will alo chip after it starts to age. Send me your email and I will send the photos to you.

Now, to say your personal experience shows you that 95% of custom installers damage cars is interesting... You would have to have owned 100% of the cars ever clearbra'ed, & 95% of them were damaged.

I have been in the business for almos 6 years now. I have had to pull film off due to customers not being satisfied with their "custom" installs only to find cuts all over the paint. And each and every single installer all claimed "we do not cut the paint. We are good at what we do..." So somehow the paint is getting cut. It isnt magically appearing when the film is removed.

A more accurate statement that would not be misleading, would be that you have had 2? 3? cars done custom, and had damage, right?

No I have removed film from approximately 30 cars and have seen the damage in person.

I have removed my work from several cars that were in accidents, etc, so that they could get body work done. No cut lines in the paint, no damage caused by me. But I HAVE seen damage when removing OTHER installers work (Usually to do the whole job over correctly). You just have to see examples of the installers work to be sure.

A very large percentage of the work done in Colorado, which is where clearbra really had it's biggest start is done as a custom install, off of a bulk roll. Also, the $ cost savings in working from bulk are by far negated by the extra time & effort that it takes to install (The way I do it anyways, because I INSIST on it being as close to perfect as possible.)

The installers in Colorado almost killed the industry because EVERYONE was cutting the paint up. That is common knowledge throughout the industry. Kits have been developed to prevent that from happening... although you do get some hacks that will still cut a kit up. Custom installers may have to add a little labor to the process but its not actually money coming out of your pocket as if you are buying a plotter and patterns, so the labor isnt reall a cost.

On the other hand, kits HAVE come a long ways. I've seen some of ProForm's work, & it is good. I still would put my custom job up against theirs any day, especially on the front bumper, where you will be seriously challenged to even tell it has the bra on it.

Their work is pretty good... not the best. Their kits are the best in the industry. Just about every edge can be wrapped no matter wether its a bumper or full hood... doesnt matter. With cutting you are putting a razor blade into a film that is only 6-8 mil thick. All it takes is a slight movement and you have just cut the clear coat...

One of my biggest issues with kits, is that you MUST handle the material that is going on the car. Fingerprints, & contamination are much more likely. When I install from bulk, I handle and stretch on the material past the areas that will ultimately be on the vehicle. I cut away where I've grabbed.

Using plenty of soap and water on your hands and handling the film properly will prevent fingerprints in the film. I have never had one myself. And as far as contaminates go, a clean environment and plkenty of water will minimize that... just as well as using bulk film

The bumper in the picture above has a big seam in it. My job would have been one complete smooth application, no seams.

Again there are kits with multpile seems and kits without any. It all depends on who you get it from.

The picture I've attached shows why I've never liked kits. Poor fit. Not saying some out there don't fit well, but my installs ALWAYS fit pefectly.

See above. I can post numerous pictures of cut up paint... it doesnt reflect on your work personally... so posting pictures of poorly fitting kits does not reflect the kti side of the business acurately either.

Don't forget. The purpose of the clearbra is to protect the paint, so anywhere that it does not cover, is not protected. I've seen so many kits that just don't protect as much as should be, which makes it a waste of $$.

No matter what work you need done, if it's paint work, mechanical, clearbra, etc, it's most important to be sure of your service professional.

Not trying to offend any particular business, or installer out there, but I defend my work as the best possible.
As we all do. My original intent of my posting was to tell people that if they are going to go with a custom install they are asking for the potential of their paint getting cut. Not saying you do but since I havent seen your work personally and every single installer that I have had to replace film for because they DID cut the paint... well they all said "We dont cut the paint." There is a significant risk going that route... more so than with kits because with custom installs you HAVE to cut on the piant. With kits you dont. If you get a good installer with a good kit, the results will be great and you will not have to worry about cuts. If you take the chance and go with the custom install, you better hope you get the "5%" that doesnt cut the paint up. Because in the end, if your paint get cuts it might has well been keyed.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Kwang

My installation resulted the same, paptimus. It was kind of an eye sore in the beginning, but I concluded that that was how the kit was set up, so I let it slide.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Invisibra

Still quoting the 95% I see, but that's ok.

I'm for sure the 5% you allow for, & I've still not seen a kit as good as my install, so untill I visit Texas & check out your work, or you visit Vegas & check out mine, we can't really judge each other's work on a public forum.

Remember, I was just stating my experience with kits, not degrading you or your company. Hope it is mutual.

I am however all about trying new products. I've used Venture, Avery, Clearplex, etc... The main problem I had with other's products was poor adhesive. Wouldn't stay stuck to the car, on the edges after time. The 3M STAYS PUT on down the line.

I havn't tried Clearmask ar, so can a person get a sample? (Bulk, maybe 20 foot sample?)
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One reason I didn't go with 3M is because my neighbor's silver Lexus has it and I can see it from 10+ feet away due to a slight yellowing color. It's also fairly thick which makes it very noticeable.

Also just to clarify in case people here forgot, but Venturetape (the company that created Ventureshield film) was purchased by 3M a while back although it's still manufactured and sold as a separate product from the legacy 3M film. Venturetape is based about 30 miles from me and I researched quite a bit before deciding.

I'd be interested to note whose film turns that ugly brown color or at least say who it isn't.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by Invisibra
Still quoting the 95% I see, but that's ok.

I'm for sure the 5% you allow for, & I've still not seen a kit as good as my install, so untill I visit Texas & check out your work, or you visit Vegas & check out mine, we can't really judge each other's work on a public forum.

Remember, I was just stating my experience with kits, not degrading you or your company. Hope it is mutual.

I am however all about trying new products. I've used Venture, Avery, Clearplex, etc... The main problem I had with other's products was poor adhesive. Wouldn't stay stuck to the car, on the edges after time. The 3M STAYS PUT on down the line.

I havn't tried Clearmask ar, so can a person get a sample? (Bulk, maybe 20 foot sample?)
Yeah I can get you a sample if you want. They have two films, AR and AeroGuard. PM me your info and I will send you some via mail. I have tried just about every film out there, excluding Bekaert, and I think this is probably the best all around film I have seen. I am sure you will be happy with it.