Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G37xS Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
JohnsG37x

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
G37xS Acceleration

I've had my G37xS Sedan for about 1.5 months and ever since day 1 I thought regular stop light accerlation is a bit slow for the RPM's that I rev it to.. I'm still breaking her in, but it seems I have to rev up to 3K in order to keep up with traffic from a light. I'm not a red light racer, but it seems I do have to push a little to accelerate as quickly as an old lady driving a corolla or something.

I'm coming from an older 4cyl camry, and regular acceleration seems comparable between to the G and the camry under 3k RPMs.

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet you your ECU has adjusted to a more relaxed driving style while you are braking in your car. That was the case with my 08xS.

Start driving it more aggressively and in about a week you will feel a difference in response time. It worked for me. Use the DS mode more frequent during this period. It will help make the transition quicker. Your car's ECU will readjust and your throttle will be much quicker.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ spot on.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 AM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
^^ spot on.
I agree as well. When I was test driving a 6mt prior to buying my current G, it felt like a DOG. I was thinking, damn, my beater 99 5 speed Maxima with K&N Filter and Y pipe could beat this thing.

But, I knew it must be the ecu, and the fact that the car had no miles on it. I was aware that the G37 is a mid thirteen second car, so I banked on it becoming faster.

And it did. My 6mt sedan rips with just a little throttle now, the ECU's on these cars really do adapt quite nicely to aggressive driving patterns.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same car and I'm going to buck the trend here and say its NOT the ecu. The gears are short..very short...and giving the car 1/4 push on the throttle just smooth accelerates the car with shifts around 3K. Trouble is....3K with such a short gear is like 12mph.

The car is FAST..bottom line. But you need to get on it. If it had tall 1st and 2nd gears...you could get on it...but the car would be relaxed, b/c you'd be going 20mph by the time you hit 3k!

Also...not sure how the pre 09's were with the "sensitive" throtle, but, this big six is NOT ramped up early in its accelerator travel. Most 4cyl's seem to give 50% of their thrust, just by pushing the peadal a little bit..but will still shift conservatively. However, go WOT..and there isn't that much more there. However, with the G, you get a more linear power based on how hard you push the gas.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Mike

^^ I do agree that the G has a pretty linear throttle response. Being that it's a high revving engine with a pretty smooth torque curve, it's easy to modulate the throttle.

The 07 sedans had VERY sensitive throttle tip-in. The equivilent would be the ECU adaptation for a driver who pretty much has a lead foot. When you're getting on the gas petal (albiet, very slowly), it would be like "not moving, not moving, not moving, woah too much gas". There was a reflash issued for those who did not like it.

The ECU adaptation is definately there. I experienced it first hand when I let my friend borrow my G for a few months... when I got it back from her, the throttle was hypersensitive because she did not step on it very much.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am with Mike S. Also have the same car. Its 3800lbs and has very little low rpm torque. The motor is designed to make power at high rpms so that they can advertise "328 horsepower". Although i'd rather have more torque down low in exchange for 30 horsepower or so, buttom line is the car is FAST. Just step on it and enjoy!

I have had my Xs for about a month too and even though my last car was a V8, I love the acceleration from a stop light. When I am alone in the car, it somestimes even chirps into second. More than enough for me.

The other Mike is also right about the throttle tip in. My buddies '08 just jumps forward as soon as you tap the gas and the 07s were even more aggressive. The 09s let you decide how much go you want.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everytime I get into and out of the '09 to our '08 .. i forget that '08 has a nite/day difference in the throttle tip in and nearly cause accidents tapping the accelerator.

I like the fact that i can modulate the '09 better down low -- the power is there, just gotta mash the pedal more.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Everytime I get into and out of the '09 to our '08 .. i forget that '08 has a nite/day difference in the throttle tip in and nearly cause accidents tapping the accelerator.

I like the fact that i can modulate the '09 better down low -- the power is there, just gotta mash the pedal more.
Coming from the man with both cars!

Also, I'd like to add that the 37 has a flatter torque curve.... smoother power delivery...