G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy for thinking the G37XS Sedan is too slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as the 1mpg loss. Simple. Extra weight and driveline loss.

The car weights more..about 150lbs.

Driveline loss. YES...just crusing at 65mph, 100% of the power should be going to the rear wheels. But don't forget, now the fronts on an AWD car vs. the RWD only car have driveshafts. Those are always spinning, b/c the wheels are spining. Think of them as rods directly attached to the wheel hubs...its just a drag on the forward progress of the car. Granted, not that much...thats why its only 1mpg less.

Mike S.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That makes sense. Other than 2 maximas and 2 acura TLs, the rest of my cars were all RWD so I guess i will just have to accept the concept of AWD. Its just that the 5.0 0-60 number seemed so exotic... LOL Oh well...
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
hey you'll thank me alex cuz youll get less tickets than for the 0.3-0.4 i save u
Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is slow.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Comiha22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think it's ridiculous to have the Sport package available for the X. Infiniti should have kept them as two separate styles as they did in 07'. Regardless, both cars are about as fast as they come for under $45K (aside from maybe the WRX STi).
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by da mayor
hey you'll thank me alex cuz youll get less tickets than for the 0.3-0.4 i save u

Ha ha, thats a good one Kenny, but the tickets come after 60mph... LOL
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
brynomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but I might not have gotten the g at all if the all wheel drive version didn't include the S package. I doubt anyone here would drift bust with a G but in some areas with more snow fall than chicago I bet they don't want the different front fascia.

And why would infiniti want increased production costs? Its less adaptable to what the consumer wants and costs more?

Something I don't get in this thread is why people continuously compare more rally based sedans to a luxury sedan such as the G. The G is plenty fast for an every day commuter car.

However I do agree that the G needs more torque. I do find myself giving her more pedal than I should be to get going.

Originally Posted by Comiha22
I personally think it's ridiculous to have the Sport package available for the X. Infiniti should have kept them as two separate styles as they did in 07'. Regardless, both cars are about as fast as they come for under $45K (aside from maybe the WRX STi).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Alex57r

To me the G is a sports sedan not a luxury car and I understand why people in Buffalo want AWD, but for the life of me, I don't get why people in NY where it snows 3 times a year are all dying for it.

As for comparing to STIs etc, you are right, comparing a G to an STI is silly, but its just as silly comparing G to a luxury car like a benz or a Lexus. Take out the leather seats and you are closer to the STI then you are to a big Lexus (i am not talking IS350 and C300 here). A g is a 350Z based sports sedan. A real drivers car with some luxury features and the best bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by brynomon
I'm sorry but I might not have gotten the g at all if the all wheel drive version didn't include the S package. I doubt anyone here would drift bust with a G but in some areas with more snow fall than chicago I bet they don't want the different front fascia.

And why would infiniti want increased production costs? Its less adaptable to what the consumer wants and costs more?

Something I don't get in this thread is why people continuously compare more rally based sedans to a luxury sedan such as the G. The G is plenty fast for an every day commuter car.

However I do agree that the G needs more torque. I do find myself giving her more pedal than I should be to get going.
Do you find yourself accelerating faster than ambient traffic? Alternatively, have you considered that this car is DBW, and the ECU adjusts throttle sensitivity based on your driving habits? The more agressive you drive, the LESS sensitive the throttle becomes; it takes more pressure to get going because the ECU expects you to have a heavy foot.

Originally Posted by Alex57r
To me the G is a sports sedan not a luxury car and I understand why people in Buffalo want AWD, but for the life of me, I don't get why people in NY where it snows 3 times a year are all dying for it.

As for comparing to STIs etc, you are right, comparing a G to an STI is silly, but its just as silly comparing G to a luxury car like a benz or a Lexus. Take out the leather seats and you are closer to the STI then you are to a big Lexus (i am not talking IS350 and C300 here). A g is a 350Z based sports sedan. A real drivers car with some luxury features and the best bang for the buck IMHO.
A G, stripped of luxury, and a (much) stiffer suspension will be a pretty decent match for a STI/EVO. The G has a power advantage, while the STI/EVO have a handling edge. The G has far superior throttle response, while it lacks the LSDs the STI/EVO offer. Also, STI/EVO gearing is suited for 0-100, while the G is not.

Also, the "Sport" package for the X is really a "Sport Appearance" package.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by Mike
Also, the "Sport" package for the X is really a "Sport Appearance" package.

Sad but true
Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Mike S.

Well,

Sport seats are more than appearance...
18inch wheels are more than appearance....
Paddle shifters are more than appearance...
It may not have a VSLD, but it has AWD...SO...traction is no problem.

I think saying its only appearance is a bit unfair.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Alex57r

I think he meant no sport steering, no sport suspension and no sport breaks. The seats and wheels are kind of appearance especially those wheels... LOL but the paddles are legit upgrades I think.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Mike S.

True...I'll give him that.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
IIRC, the brochure calls the AWD sport package a "Sport Appearance Package" or something like that.

In my defense, the sport seats offer more adjustments, but hardly will hold you in place during cornering
The 18" wheels give you less sidewall, but they're still All-season tires, not performance tires
The paddle shifters do nothing to actually improve performance

AWD isn't part of the sport package, but the AWD system in this vehicle cannot transfer power left and right, only front and back. If a rear wheel is spinning, then all the power goes to that wheel and is wasted. If a front wheel is spinning, then 50% of the power is lost. There are no locking or limited slip diffs in the car. (FWIW, the VLSD is relatively worthless on the sport RWD vehicles is rather weak... it's reactionary as oppposed to preventative, and it wears out very quickly. This car needs a torsen. Stop cheaping out Nissan.)

I do like the appearance of the sport front much better though

And the spoiler is VERY functional.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by Mike

And the spoiler is VERY functional.

Yes, very!!! LOL

Couldn't they at least keep the faster steering?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for thinking the G37XS Sedan is too slow