Sponsored By:

Rattle noise that can be only heard inside of car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 04:08 AM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle noise that can be only heard inside of car

Hey what’s up guys I have a 2014 q60 coupe and I have this rattle noise that seems like it’s coming from the engine but could be from down under or near the dashboard. From the outside you really can’t hear it or standing in front/near the engine but only mainly inside the car. Then when I press the pedal and rev it, it goes away instantly. Not sure if anybody has encountered this before if it’s a heat shield or something loose rattling. I took a short video of it with my phone on top of the dashboard from the inside to show how it sounds.

Last edited by Mchavez; 03-01-2022 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:21 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Does it sound as if it's originating on the passenger side? I only ask because I have a similar rattle from the passenger side dash but have not taken the time to investigate.
​​​​​
Old 03-03-2022, 11:21 PM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Originally Posted by beefychicken
Does it sound as if it's originating on the passenger side? I only ask because I have a similar rattle from the passenger side dash but have not taken the time to investigate.
​​​​​
Yes it does!!! My girlfriend noticed it more today and she says it sound as if it’s right under where she puts her feet at so I’m thinking possibly a heat shield or the cat that’s under there. I’m clueless tho because it only does it here and there and when I give it gas it goes completely away.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:09 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
I had a similar rattle in my 2013 coupe. I happened to be under the hood doing something else when I moved the AC check valve and heard it make the same noise! Its on the passenger side of the engine and I have attached a picture. Use some kind of tiedown to keep it from moving around freely. IIRC, I did not have to tie it down to anything overly securely -- just stop it from swinging around freely. Problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
Mchavez (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:41 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Mchavez
Yes it does!!! My girlfriend noticed it more today and she says it sound as if it’s right under where she puts her feet at so I’m thinking possibly a heat shield or the cat that’s under there. I’m clueless tho because it only does it here and there and when I give it gas it goes completely away.
Looks like u/dwb993 may have figured it out! I'm gonna go look in few. Seems to make sense.
BTW, I know it's not the cat heat heat shield as I have HFCs mated to a CBE so there are no heat shields in my exhaust system other than what's on the OE headers.
Mchavez (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Looks like u/dwb993 may have figured it out! I'm gonna go look in few. Seems to make sense.
BTW, I know it's not the cat heat heat shield as I have HFCs mated to a CBE so there are no heat shields in my exhaust system other than what's on the OE headers.
Yeah I’m checking that out later forsure. I just didn’t want to rule out anything that can be loose underneath but I haven’t looked underneath either. But I’m hoping that’ll be the fix.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:22 PM
Mchavez
Registered Member

So I tied down that AC check valve thing and didn’t make a difference. I’m honestly thinking it might be the headers heat shield or hoping for it to be something just loose since it sounds like it’s more plastic then metal rattling.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:20 PM
mike81
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mchavez
Hey what’s up guys I have a 2014 q60 coupe and I have this rattle noise that seems like it’s coming from the engine but could be from down under or near the dashboard. From the outside you really can’t hear it or standing in front/near the engine but only mainly inside the car. Then when I press the pedal and rev it, it goes away instantly. Not sure if anybody has encountered this before if it’s a heat shield or something loose rattling. I took a short video of it with my phone on top of the dashboard from the inside to show how it sounds.
I have the exact same problem whenever we stop at a light or in the driveway warming up there’s this metal sounds like a loose bolt or something coming from the passenger side then goes away when I drive. Doesn’t seem like anybody has figured it out yet
Mchavez (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 10:35 PM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mike81
I have the exact same problem whenever we stop at a light or in the driveway warming up there’s this metal sounds like a loose bolt or something coming from the passenger side then goes away when I drive. Doesn’t seem like anybody has figured it out yet

im guessing we might just have to live with it but hopefully someone finds the fix for it. THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYS I APPRECIATE IT.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:14 AM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Could also be an exhaust piece rattling against something. I would put the car on jack stands (safely) and fire it up and get under it and have someone rev it a little.
Mchavez (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:15 AM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
or take to an exhaust shop to have them inspect it for you
Mchavez (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:22 AM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Originally Posted by spoolin03
or take to an exhaust shop to have them inspect it for you
Ill give it a shot my self after this snow in Colorado this weekend. I’ll raise it up and have someone rev it
Old 03-06-2022, 02:09 AM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
I had a similar rattle in my 2013 coupe. I happened to be under the hood doing something else when I moved the AC check valve and heard it make the same noise! Its on the passenger side of the engine and I have attached a picture. Use some kind of tiedown to keep it from moving around freely. IIRC, I did not have to tie it down to anything overly securely -- just stop it from swinging around freely. Problem solved.

that is not the AC check valve.
that is the evap vapor valve service port.
Just wanted to clarify.
The following 2 users liked this post by 14Q60awdSPORT:
dwb993 (03-12-2024), Mchavez (03-06-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:08 AM
Stuart Pid
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Found the mysterious rattle in my 2015 Q60, it was the windshield wiper fluid neck and bottle. It was loose from the mounting point. Rattle was more noticable in cold weather.

Mchavez (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Mchavez
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stuart Pid
Found the mysterious rattle in my 2015 Q60, it was the windshield wiper fluid neck and bottle. It was loose from the mounting point. Rattle was more noticable in cold weather.

I’ll look into that as well man, thanks!

Quick Reply: Rattle noise that can be only heard inside of car