Sponsored By:

G37 water leaking under glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:13 PM
Pcbrr
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 water leaking under glovebox

Hey everyone so I’m having an annoying and seemingly common problem of my g letting water in during rain and I can’t figure out the potential spot(s) where it’s letting water in.

I’ve already rerouted the sunroof drains on the passenger and drivers side, splicing into the AC drain as well, and none of those leak or are the issue. I know this for certain since the water comes from above those points. I have also not had my windshield replaced since I got the car, and this issue didn’t persist that long.

The water ends up pooling in the plastic tray below the glovebox. When I pull that tray off, I see the water and where it’s resting. Also, after a day of rain I hear a sloshing noise behind the glovebox and almost sounds like it’s stuck in the area where the cabin filter is. Sometimes when I accelerate hard water pours out.

Before I pull my seat, carpet, and glovebox again I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and got it resolved. Or where any of the potential open spots water could be coming through. The only thing I could think of is the pieces of rubber that go on the side of the windshield, but mine seems to be in place.

A couple of threads have mentioned a similar issue which most people point towards being sunroof drains which I know isn’t the case.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2021, 09:24 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Windshield Cowl Leak
Above is for the sedan but the issue is the same for the Coupe and the 'Vert as well.

If your cabin air filter is wet, your cowl seal (specifically the passenger side) has failed. I opted to remove the cowl, clean the channel, and fill it with silicone sealant before pressing it back onto the windshield. Leak solved.

Others have chosen to use backer rod as a makeshift gasket as new OEM seals are not available. Either way, inspect the blower box and make sure it is fully dry and clean. Any standing water that. Collects at the bottom of the air box will potentially kill your blower motor (plenty on this forum have had that happen). Good time to replace the cabin air filter as well.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-30-2021 at 11:17 AM.