Rear window fogs too easily

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:47 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Rear window fogs too easily

Hello people,
So I was noticing that my rear windshield gets so foggy that sometimes when I'm driving, I can actually see streaks of water/ condensation going down it. And when I haven't been driving my car (like in the following posted pictures, bottom corners), it'll fog up even while just being parked (it was a relatively cool day, around 50 degrees F and slightly raining).
I've also had a problem with my doors leaking water when going through a pressure wash/ hard rainy day, where it'll drip down the top speaker area of the door in a line down to the bottom speakers, both driver and passenger side. I've taken it to a dealership and after they did a "paper test" and presumably some window adjustment, it kind of helped with the amount of water leaking in, but not 100% completely. And on top of that, now I have some type of air noise when driving 80+mph down a freeway near the bottom left window sill of the driver door.

Do you guys think it's from some type of humidity being able to seep in even with the window/ door closed all the way?
Thanks in advanced.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Maybe you might have air coming inside causing it to get humid, but I would recommend using rainx fog product for the interior. It’s a small little black bottle, and just put it on all your windows, let it dry and then buff it off. I use it durin the cold season so I don’t have to turn on my heater to my windshields.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Said, thanks for the reply. But you know what, I actually did use Rainx Anti Fog on the inside, and it still does it quite badly. Maybe I should do a second coating..
Old 03-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Damn, well have you checked the rubber seal that is on your side mirrors? Because when I pressure wash my car if i hit the water in that direct area water would seep in, but I never had a issue where it would get humid inside causing my windows to fog up, even when driving or parked. Or maybe check the seal around the sunroof, check for any gaps, or any cracks from drying out. If anything the other thing I can suggest is that on the dash where it meets the front windshield their is a seal in between that keeps the outside air from coming in, maybe that could be causing it. Because when I was running my radar detector wire I accidentally pushed on the sticky seal down and it fogged up my front windshield until I fixed it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Also check your front footwells for wet carpet. You might have leaking sunroof drains.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Also check your front footwells for wet carpet. You might have leaking sunroof drains.
^This.

My front windshield would fog up before I found the water in the front footwell.

Open your door, pop off the plastic trim piece and pull up the carpet to look underneath. There is quite a bit of space between the underside of the carpet and the actual metal floor. Look for any water. Do this on both sides. If you see no water in the front, check the rear, too.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
^This.

My front windshield would fog up before I found the water in the front footwell.

Open your door, pop off the plastic trim piece and pull up the carpet to look underneath. There is quite a bit of space between the underside of the carpet and the actual metal floor. Look for any water. Do this on both sides. If you see no water in the front, check the rear, too.
I have this problem on the drivers side. I had a puddle. Where do i find the sunroof drain? I looked all around the floor and couldn't figure out where it's coming from.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:16 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
This issue is discussed in the Tech/Interior, Exterior, Body & Lighting forum.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Said Amir
Damn, well have you checked the rubber seal that is on your side mirrors? Because when I pressure wash my car if i hit the water in that direct area water would seep in, but I never had a issue where it would get humid inside causing my windows to fog up, even when driving or parked. Or maybe check the seal around the sunroof, check for any gaps, or any cracks from drying out. If anything the other thing I can suggest is that on the dash where it meets the front windshield their is a seal in between that keeps the outside air from coming in, maybe that could be causing it. Because when I was running my radar detector wire I accidentally pushed on the sticky seal down and it fogged up my front windshield until I fixed it.
Thanks for the reply man. I did check all those seals. It seems like the side view mirror seals look good.. same with sunroof seals. I will have to check the dash where it meets the front windshield, but that seems like it'll be difficult to diagnose. I don't hear any wind noise coming from there, so it might not be it.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:52 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Thanks admin. I did go to a dealership to get my window adjusted and in doing so, they told me that I don't have a sunroof drain leak. Nor are my carpets getting wet. I'm still looking around to see what the problem might be.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

^This.

Oh, I'm going to have to look at that. Althought the dealership told me I didn't have any leakage, I'm not sure they did all this to look underneath where you're mentioning. If I do this, and have a hard time figuring out what you're saying, would you be able to show me exactly what you mean by the front/ rear? I will report soon, as it is raining here in SoCal in the meantime.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

^This.

Originally Posted by mummy2
I have this problem on the drivers side. I had a puddle. Where do i find the sunroof drain? I looked all around the floor and couldn't figure out where it's coming from.
I found a link to what you're talking about. Thanks! https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...dow-seals.html
Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by josephwhan
Oh, I'm going to have to look at that. Althought the dealership told me I didn't have any leakage, I'm not sure they did all this to look underneath where you're mentioning. If I do this, and have a hard time figuring out what you're saying, would you be able to show me exactly what you mean by the front/ rear? I will report soon, as it is raining here in SoCal in the meantime.
Check my Build thread for pics and more info. Link is in my signature.
The following users liked this post:
josephwhan (03-13-2019)