G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Need some advice, g37 currently at Nissan dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm curious on the initial diagnosis.

Flywheel wasn't aligned properly? How was that determined?

Is the flywheel junk?

How is the clutch pressure plate junk? Maybe get another disk and should be good. Resurface the flywheel?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:08 PM
nero209
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
I'm curious on the initial diagnosis.

Flywheel wasn't aligned properly? How was that determined?

Is the flywheel junk?

How is the clutch pressure plate junk? Maybe get another disk and should be good. Resurface the flywheel?
So basically the tech said that when he dropped the bell housing he saw the flywheel wasn’t aligned, as in the little dowel pin was not inside the flywheel alignment hole however you call it. How was the car running fine for this past year and a half, I don’t know and he doesn’t know either. To my understanding a car won’t start when the flywheel is misaligned, so all this is confusing. My friend said the first time he put everything back together the car didn’t start, and he remembered to align the flywheel correctly, so he did, and car started and everything was good to go so that was that. Also the dowel pin looks to be squished in. Around the edges of the flywheel you can tell it’s shiny, as if it was scraping. So I think I’m better off replacing it with new.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope you kept all that stuff your clutch looks like it was in good shape actually. It says a lot more about your driving, your riding the clutch to much tighten up lol. They got you. You have a lightweight flywheel right? If you removed the stock dual mass your gonna have some extra noise that is just the way these transmissions are. They chatter that can sometimes sound like a knock. So either the person who pulled the transmission had no idea what he was talking about OR he saw an opportunity to take advantage of you and stole your parts lol. Some slight sanding get the glazing off pressure plate and flywheel and brake part cleaner throw the stuff back on it would have been good to go. If they charged you for this to get your money back is going to be very difficult because they can claim non-oem parts and incorrect installation. But all that would have need to happen was just clean the components up and properly align the pressure plate and flywheel. Done.

Remember the dealer does not hire mechanics. They hire part swappers. They throw parts at it until something works or until your warranty runs out.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM
nero209
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crusher103
I hope you kept all that stuff your clutch looks like it was in good shape actually. It says a lot more about your driving, your riding the clutch to much tighten up lol. They got you. You have a lightweight flywheel right? If you removed the stock dual mass your gonna have some extra noise that is just the way these transmissions are. They chatter that can sometimes sound like a knock. So either the person who pulled the transmission had no idea what he was talking about OR he saw an opportunity to take advantage of you and stole your parts lol. Some slight sanding get the glazing off pressure plate and flywheel and brake part cleaner throw the stuff back on it would have been good to go. If they charged you for this to get your money back is going to be very difficult because they can claim non-oem parts and incorrect installation. But all that would have need to happen was just clean the components up and properly align the pressure plate and flywheel. Done.

Remember the dealer does not hire mechanics. They hire part swappers. They throw parts at it until something works or until your warranty runs out.
Shoot I wrote a whole story and it kicked me out.
I’ll get to the point, it wasn’t actually the flywheel or anything to do with that. It turned out to be the oil gallery gasket blowing out, they found out when I told them to drop the oil pan and inspect for metal shavings, so they did that and found just that with a piece of gasket. They thought the noise was coming from the transmission since it was loudest in that area. Now after realizing there mistake, they think the noise was actually coming from cylinder 6 since it’s close to it.
Since I already had ordered a new flywheel/clutch kit I talked to the manager and told him all the bs his service advisor was making up. I also let him know I had bought the parts already, so after a bit of talking he let me off without paying anything. I had the car put back together and towed it out of there a few days after.
I’m looking for a new engine atm, I’ll also throw in the flywheel and clutch I just bought just because I have it now.
Now that I know of this issue, I’ll have the mechanic install these metal oil gallery gaskets to replace those cheap paper gaskets they used before.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Wow. What a thread
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 AM
teahead
Registered Member

This sounds like a nightmare!

The knocking was not anything to do with the transmission but it was the engine?

Did it lose oil pressure and destroy the engine? Is that what you are saying ?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 AM
nero209
Registered Member

This sounds like a nightmare!

The knocking was not anything to do with the transmission but it was the engine?

Did it lose oil pressure and destroy the engine? Is that what you are saying ?
Thats exactly what I’m saying. Rather unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:26 PM
joe32288
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you figured it out! The clutch/flywheel thing didn't make any sense. The flywheel can't really go in the wrong way, and the Zspeed CSC is solid as a rock.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nero209

Shoot I wrote a whole story and it kicked me out.
I’ll get to the point, it wasn’t actually the flywheel or anything to do with that. It turned out to be the oil gallery gasket blowing out, they found out when I told them to drop the oil pan and inspect for metal shavings, so they did that and found just that with a piece of gasket. They thought the noise was coming from the transmission since it was loudest in that area. Now after realizing there mistake, they think the noise was actually coming from cylinder 6 since it’s close to it.
Since I already had ordered a new flywheel/clutch kit I talked to the manager and told him all the bs his service advisor was making up. I also let him know I had bought the parts already, so after a bit of talking he let me off without paying anything. I had the car put back together and towed it out of there a few days after.
I’m looking for a new engine atm, I’ll also throw in the flywheel and clutch I just bought just because I have it now.
Now that I know of this issue, I’ll have the mechanic install these metal oil gallery gaskets to replace those cheap paper gaskets they used before.

yea i would be PISSED. I have a history with my local Nissan dealer that has a very famous basketball player's name on it lol. But it was diagnosing why my engine light would never light up when the car started and was hard storing codes, not even the Consult scanner could delete them. To make a long story short the dealer left the ECU screw in diagnostic mode. The first said the light in the dashboard was out. Unfortunately for them 2 days later the car threw a EVAP code and surprise surprise the light turned on. Then it was replace the entire ECU for $1800. When i finally found out that i could have fixed the problem with a $0.50 screwdriver, how pissed i was. Luckily for me i never bought the ECU from them, I picked one up at a junkyard. Part Swappers.

Are you absolutely sure the motor is kaput or is it something that can be fixed? Has it spun a bearing?

Last edited by Crusher103; 03-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Right, did it throw any low oil pressure codes?

Run a compression test? Both dry and wet?

Noises can be hard to spot. Was it noisy when it was idling? Or only under a load w/the tranny in gear?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Exactly because pings sound like knocking. Especially if it was a random knock, not a constant knock, constant is different. And what i am thinking is with that gasket blown out. The timing chain is held in place with oil pressure in the tensioner. With that gasket providing insufficient oil pressure it could have slightly altered the timing of the motor which can make itself noticeable with a ping&knock. When that oil galley gasket is changed the timing has to be redone which might fix the problem and save you some money. Use that engine money for other things, mods/bills/save whatever you wish. So make sure you actually find out what is wrong with your car this time before you start throwing parts and money at it.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 PM
nero209
Registered Member

Right, did it throw any low oil pressure codes?

Run a compression test? Both dry and wet?

Noises can be hard to spot. Was it noisy when it was idling? Or only under a load w/the tranny in gear?
Originally Posted by Crusher103
Exactly because pings sound like knocking. Especially if it was a random knock, not a constant knock, constant is different. And what i am thinking is with that gasket blown out. The timing chain is held in place with oil pressure in the tensioner. With that gasket providing insufficient oil pressure it could have slightly altered the timing of the motor which can make itself noticeable with a ping&knock. When that oil galley gasket is changed the timing has to be redone which might fix the problem and save you some money. Use that engine money for other things, mods/bills/save whatever you wish. So make sure you actually find out what is wrong with your car this time before you start throwing parts and money at it.

Good luck.
I’m almost 100% sure the engine is destroyed. No codes no light nothing on the dash. Never tried a compression test. It all started one day while driving, noticed a slight low knocking/tapping noise once the rpms got around 3k. Didn’t think anything too serious about it and continued driving it every Saturday. Then the tapping got louder, and now i could hear it while city driving at around 40 mph, the noise could be heard all while I was accelerating. While the car was parked in neutral, If I held the rpms to about 2.5k, the tapping/knocking sound would come up, I had a mechanic check and see where the noise was coming from and he heard it coming from inside the engine, so I decided to have it diagnosed at the dealership just to be certain, since originally he thought the noise might be caused by a timing chain slack.
A family member drove the car to the dealer while I was at work, and he said half way there the car started to feel sluggish/weak. He would press the gas pedal and the car would not accelerate; as if nearly all the power had been lost. Also the knocking got 20x worse. He compared the noise to metal clanking against metal, and he was hoping the engine wouldn’t blow on him lol. So by the time he got to the dealership, the knocking sound was still as bad as it was before, only now the knocking was at idle. I’m just amused the techs didn’t know what they were dealing with here.

Last edited by nero209; 03-14-2019 at 12:37 AM.