Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

windshield tint @ 55% cant see at night

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 AM
Belial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield tint @ 55% cant see at night

2008 coupe sport.... dont want to strip the tint because i hate the sun. dark backroads, i have no choice but to run the lights on high. ive notice the light beam is wide but low. i bought this car 2 months ago with only 9200 miles. completely stock. im looking to upgrade the headlight bulbs to compensate for poor visibility. any suggestions? not looking to spend $500 on headlight bulbs... something budget friendly. looking for as bright as i can go without blinding owls in flight.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got a suggestion. Strip the tint. The safety of others, specifically bicyclists and pedestrians, is MORE important than your car looking cool. You're a special kind of selfish if you're willing to blind other drivers so you can see.
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Belial

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
I've got a suggestion. Strip the tint. The safety of others, specifically bicyclists and pedestrians, is MORE important than your car looking cool. You're a special kind of selfish if you're willing to blind other drivers so you can see.
Obviously, you didn't fully read the post. "Driving on dark back roads". Don't know of too many cyclist and pedestrians on back roads driving through the mountains. Geez...
Old 01-11-2018, 08:35 AM
11G37S
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I run 50% which measures about 44% and can see fine with no issues. Only when I had 35% does it become cumbersome without good retrofit projectors.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Belial

Originally Posted by 11G37S
I run 50% which measures about 44% and can see fine with no issues. Only when I had 35% does it become cumbersome without good retrofit projectors.
For the most part I have no issues with visibility driving at night it's when I'm driving down very dark back roads were there's absolutely zero light other than the moon and stars above you. I'm not familiar with retrofit projectors. I've never done any kind of modifications for headlights other than cleaning the lenses. Will you please explain? Thank you
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Belial
Obviously, you didn't fully read the post. "Driving on dark back roads". Don't know of too many cyclist and pedestrians on back roads driving through the mountains. Geez...
It doesn't take "many" cyclists or pedestrians. 1 is all it takes. Or blinding an oncoming car coming around a curve with your brights that can't see you and ends up hitting you. I'd recommend taking the tint off also, which solves your visibility issue and also the issue that it's illegal and dangerous. If something did happen, even a fender bender, you are liable to be considered at fault due to that alone. Keep a nice pair of sunglasses in the car for the sunny days.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM
Belial

Originally Posted by Ryne
It doesn't take "many" cyclists or pedestrians. 1 is all it takes. Or blinding an oncoming car coming around a curve with your brights that can't see you and ends up hitting you. I'd recommend taking the tint off also, which solves your visibility issue and also the issue that it's illegal and dangerous. If something did happen, even a fender bender, you are liable to be considered at fault due to that alone. Keep a nice pair of sunglasses in the car for the sunny days.
I wasn't going to get personal but since I keep getting these ignorant responses... melanoma runs strong in my family and I've had several spots cut out of my arms and my hands. I absolutely hate the Sun and even wear long sleeves all season. This isn't just for looks.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
You have tint covering your entire front windshield? I've never heard of that. I don't know about where you're located but in most, if not all, states you can't have tint more than 5-6 inches below the top or past the AS-1 line on either side of the windshield or you can get a ticket. I would say if you don't want to remove it all then remove at least everything below that line so you're not putting others at risk and you're within the law.

Check out the laws in your state: https://www.windowtint.com/pages/state-window-tint-laws

Last edited by NealP; 01-11-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect statement
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 AM
11G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Belial
For the most part I have no issues with visibility driving at night it's when I'm driving down very dark back roads were there's absolutely zero light other than the moon and stars above you. I'm not familiar with retrofit projectors. I've never done any kind of modifications for headlights other than cleaning the lenses. Will you please explain? Thank you

Keep the tint and upgrade the bulbs and fogs. In my other vehicles I put in HID projectors with clear lenses for darker shields. For the G models I would get Osram Nightbreakers or CBH or CBI with Morimoto XB led fog housings. I have the CBI and XB with no issues of seeing at night. I think the nightbreakers are the brightest bulb of the three options but the fogs are more 5500k so to color match them you will need CBH or CBI. If all that doesn't help you can get clear lenses and tuning kit. Call up the retrofit source for help on the right lenses. Hope that helps explain the lighting options.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
11G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NealP
You have tint covering your entire front windshield? I've never heard of that. I don't know about where you're located but in most, if not all, states you can't have tint more than 5-6 inches below the top or past the AS-1 line on either side of the windshield or you can get a ticket. Not to mention that 55% itself is illegal. I would say if you don't want to remove it all then remove at least everything below that line so you're not putting others at risk and you're within the law.

Check out the laws in your state: https://www.windowtint.com/pages/state-window-tint-laws

Not sure what state the OP lives in but in VA it is LEGAL to have the entire windshield tinted but you must obtain a medical permit and file it with the DMV.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There are legal 99% UV tints that are almost clear. The light transmissivity will remain above the legal limit, you'll have no issues with vision, and you will be protected from UV light. Knowing this, is your argument really about skin safety or how your car looks?

Last edited by Gus_Mahn; 01-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gus_Mahn:
Epiphany (01-12-2018), r2dmax (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:17 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Not sure what state the OP lives in but in VA it is LEGAL to have the entire windshield tinted but you must obtain a medical permit and file it with the DMV.
Well now you're getting into medical stuff. I'm not referring to having tint for medicinal purposes as OP never mentioned it. Most states relax their tint laws if you have a medical reason for it but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Belial

Originally Posted by NealP
Well now you're getting into medical stuff. I'm not referring to having tint for medicinal purposes as OP never mentioned it. Most states relax their tint laws if you have a medical reason for it but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Maybe you should reread This Thread I clearly stated issues with melanoma in my family including me.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
There are legal 99% UV tints that are almost clear. The light transmissivity will remain above the legal limit, you'll have no issues with vision, and you will be protected from UV light. Knowing this, is your argument really about skin safety or how your car looks?
With the current information, great suggestion. This solves all of the concerns.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Keep the tint and upgrade the bulbs and fogs. In my other vehicles I put in HID projectors with clear lenses for darker shields. For the G models I would get Osram Nightbreakers or CBH or CBI with Morimoto XB led fog housings. I have the CBI and XB with no issues of seeing at night. I think the nightbreakers are the brightest bulb of the three options but the fogs are more 5500k so to color match them you will need CBH or CBI. If all that doesn't help you can get clear lenses and tuning kit. Call up the retrofit source for help on the right lenses. Hope that helps explain the lighting options.
Remember, lumens provide light output, not temperature (degrees Kelvin). Any bulb above the visible light temperature 4,300-5,000K will have decreased output to some degree, depending how far outside the range it is. Any bulb with a "blue" tint has reduced visible light, and is for appearance purposes only, not functional. Typically, 5,500K is not a safety concern for light output if you desire to have a slight blue hue, but this will not be the brightest option possible.

Quick Reply: windshield tint @ 55% cant see at night