Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VTC Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 PM
rakbors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTC Gaskets

Hi. I am new to this site, but have a question that I hope someone can help with. We purchased a 2008 G37S about 6 months ago. It had about 75k miles on it at the time. We took it to the local Infiniti dealer to have checked out before we purchased and they said all it needed was brakes and a small leak in the front of the engine. Forget what that was, but anyhow, we had them repair both. Other than that, they said the car was in immaculate shape. The person who had it before us provided us with detailed maintenance records on the car, so we were pretty satisfied.

Fast forward 6 months. On 12/29, we took the car to the same local Infiniti dealer to have the oil changed. That went fine. About 10-15 miles of driving over a few days after we got the car back, all of a sudden it went into limp mode, the service light came on, and it gave us several different codes and so we took it to Autozone to have a code check done. The codes were...P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire), P0011 (Intake Valve timing control), and P0524 (Engine oil pressure low). So we took it back to the Infiniti dealer.

After a couple of days of diagnosing, they told us that the VTC gaskets (or maybe it was VTC Seals) needed to be replaced and that the charge would be somewhere around $1800. My question to you forum mechanics is ... do you think that the oil change that Infiniti performed about 10-15 miles before all of this happened may have contributed to this problem? Like, could Infiniti maybe have overfilled the oil or something like that? When we took the car into Infiniti for the original oil change, it was running perfectly fine with no problems at all. I'm going to have a talk with the Service Manager at Infiniti about this, but would love to have some ammo before I go in to pick the car up - most likely tomorrow. You may tell me that it was just coincidental that it happened almost immediately after the oil change, in which case, I'll just bite the bullet and cough up the money.

Thanks in advance and I hope I have included enough information about this problem.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The oil change isn't the issue. It's a known problem with this engine. Here's a massive thread about the exact same issue that I had. It's a lot, but reading it will help you understand the issue. Sorry you got screwed with this too.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 PM
rakbors

Thanks for the reply. It surely looks like Infiniti has a problem with this specific issue for sure. Wish I would have visited that thread before I bought the car - it might have changed my mind about buying this one, but with the detailed records and being able to get it checked out at the dealer before purchase, that really helped to set my mind at ease. All I have heard from several people - including the technicians who checked the car out before we purchased it - was how good these cars were and dependable as long as they are properly maintained, etc.

Is there anything else I should have them do while they have the engine torn apart? such as a future maintenance item that will save having to do this again?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 PM
rakbors

Just a pic of the G37S beside the one we got rid of - a 2004 VW VR6. Both were/are manual transmissions....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Really sorry to hear that you've got that dreaded oil gallery gasket issue

Not a great way to be welcomed to the site I'm afraid. The $1800 charge is lower than most that have gone through an Infiniti dealer. I would be sure to get the exact price before committing to the repair, and if it ends up in the $2500 range you might check your local Nissan dealer, they tend to be cheaper for the same repairs.

Good Luck and hope you're back on the road soon. These are reliable cars for the most part, but that glaring design flaw should have been addressed a long time ago and handled much better by this company, a real shame!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 AM
rakbors

Thanks blnewt. Yes.. It is $1800 and some change. I've already been told that before I authorized the repair work.

I just wonder what else is going to happen now that I have learned about this factory defect. What other factory defects will I encounter going forward? Or is this the worst one?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rakbors
Thanks blnewt. Yes.. It is $1800 and some change. I've already been told that before I authorized the repair work.

I just wonder what else is going to happen now that I have learned about this factory defect. What other factory defects will I encounter going forward? Or is this the worst one?
this is the worst. Make sure they are using the updated metal gaskets.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Since they're already in there and it will cost $0 extra labor, have them go ahead and replacee the timing parts. I think the parts are around $300 if I remember correctly.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM
rakbors

Thanks Betty. Already put back together and ready for pick up. Wish I would have consulted this site earlier!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:40 PM
rakbors

PNW....
They told me they used the most up to date factory recommended seals. I hope that is the ones you are talking about. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the actual mechanic though.
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:12 PM
rakbors

Just in case anyone else has to do this... I suspect this is posted elsewhere, but here it is with pricing from the Infiniti dealer....

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Yup, typical of the other reports I've seen here. It's upsetting Infiniti won't make this a TSB.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
15200-ey00a filter assy-oil - oil filters. $75 for 2?!@# Is there something special about this part # compared to the one below?

What happened to the usual 15208-65F0C filters at $10 each or so (or less on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-NIS...M/162069103263)

As BB pointed out, I would of had them replace the timing gears/chain while everything was part. Labor overlap would of been minimal.

Last edited by JSolo; 01-11-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
15200-ey00a filter assy-oil - oil filters. $75 for 2?!@# Is there something special about this part # compared to the one below?

What happened to the usual 15208-65F0C filters at $10 each or so (or less on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-NIS...M/162069103263)

As BB pointed out, I would of had them replace the timing gears/chain while everything was part. Labor overlap would of been minimal.
good catch fkkk dealers
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Yup, typical of the other reports I've seen here. It's upsetting Infiniti won't make this a TSB.
u mean recall? tsb wont be free if no warranty

Quick Reply: VTC Gaskets