Sponsored By:

Newbie needs ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
tpotensky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie needs ideas

Hey all,

New to the Infiniti G37 coupe family (moved from the M35x sedan family). I just bought my car last week and I wan't to customize it and make it look super sweet. I have never really been into car customizing but have made leaps and bounds doing research the last few days. I own a 2011 Infiniti G37xS Coupe Obsidian Black.

Things I am looking into:
Tinting (Next week) 20% I think...

Need to fix hood (has 2 paint issues that I don't think can be resolved simply by repainting) Cant decide between trying to have it repainted, new hood altogether, or vinyl wrapping it...

New interior lighting...

Body kits (Aero style) Front bumper, diffuser, or side skirts...

New wheels / tires (chrome or black?)...

New LED tail/headlights? Halo rings?...

Interior dash wrapped in carbon fiber...

Lowering the car...

New grille. (Black painted or Plastidip or Order new black one)

Just little ideas like this I need help with. I need help with the cost to coolness ratio and whether it is worth it to modify. Any thoughts help and links/pictures are worth a thousand words!

Excited to be apart of the fam!
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 PM
tpotensky

PICS ARE HERE I'M SORRY

chip on hood

love the rims but want to have these as extras

interior dash would be cool carbon fibered

change the grille?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:47 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tpotensky
Hey all,

New to the Infiniti G37 coupe family (moved from the M35x sedan family). I just bought my car last week and I wan't to customize it and make it look super sweet. I have never really been into car customizing but have made leaps and bounds doing research the last few days. I own a 2011 Infiniti G37xS Coupe Obsidian Black.
Welcome, nice looking G! Check the tint laws where you are and decide if you want to deal with the potential ramifications. On my last car I had tint that was below the legal limit and while I never got in trouble with the law I did get rejected a couple times when getting my registration sticker. I had to find a place that didn't care to check. If the rest of the hood is in good shape just get it repainted for prob a few hundred depending on where you go but if you plan on vinyl then who cares. What kind of lighting? I swapped all my lights with LEDs and got the OEM interior light kit. It was really easy to install and not expensive if you get it online. Personally I like the bumper of the sport model but a diffuser would be a nice addition. Same with the wheels but if you really don't like them there are plenty of pics here of other choices. Look into the Diode Dynamics tail as a turn mod, I love it. When lowering your car it comes down to price or function. If you're looking to save money and don't care about adjustments and don't plan on tracking your car you can just go with lowering springs. Eibach and Swift tend to be the most popular. Otherwise go with coilovers where you can adjust the height and stiffness and get better performance on the track. You may like the OEM midnight black grill (~$300) but if you want to go all black then just plastidip it.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Splunk

Tinting (Next week) 20% I think...: Good Job

Need to fix hood: Yes, see if it can be buffed, but from the pics it looks like it done. A full spray should only be a few hundred.

New interior lighting: Diode Dyn ^^^^as above posted

Body kits (Aero style) Front bumper, diffuser, or side skirts: Please no. It looks great already.

New wheels / tires (chrome or black?): I love chrome but my wife thinks it ghetto fab....She knows nothing....

New LED tail/headlights? Halo rings?: Why, the only thing I can suggest here is keep your current setup and possibly paint the housing....anything else would be a downgrade IMO. It looks clean as is.

Interior dash wrapped in carbon fiber: Not my style but should be an easy project.

Lowering the car: Go coils with adj damp. So much more flexibility for your stance and different wheel sets.

New grille. (Black painted or Plastidip or Order new black one): I would keep it as is. Black and chrome is classy. Anything and chrome is classy

Just little ideas like this I need help with. I need help with the cost to coolness ratio: My opinion is that infinity got the styling right on both the 35-37 (minus the 37 tail). Keep it just the way it is and slam it on some coils and 19-20" wheels. Concave is the thing, but I like lip wheels better. I think anything you do cosmetically would look worse than before (minus a small rear window spoiler). Work on getting some good wheels under it and a decent stance and have fun....again just my opinion....
Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Great looking car. Prepare for fun.

Keep the tint laws in mind but I found that the Ceramic tint that reduces heat is fantastic for these cars; especially with their history with the dash.

I have 20% ceramic tinting and my car is actually cold when I take it out of the garage into 90+ heat. Also, it comes off as not being as dark as your typical 20% standard tint. I have no idea what it is about it but from one angle it doesn't look as dark but I'll pump gas and glance in to my better half and can barely make her out (20/13 vision). That black interior will only make things hotter...

Get Hood repainted. If you're anything like me, it'll drive you nuts.

DD makes an entire kit for interior replacement lights. Details already mentioned.

No. Bodykits. Ever. Duckbill spoiler, splitter, rear diffuser at most.

For the tail lights, You can go with the turn as tail mod offered by DD as well or, I've seen a member replace with an amber bulb which is what I really like.

For Headlights, there's lots of options. I'd paint the housing and upgrade to a higher temp HID (5-6k). Can do Halo variations also. DIY kits available if you're comfortable cracking open the headlights or you can send to 180 customs in NY for them to do a custom build for you. Either way, upgrade your lenses while the headlights are cracked open.

not a fan of CF wrap but it looks good I guess. Plenty of examples and guides on the forum.

Lowering - Adjustable CO as mentioned. Plenty of experiences on the forums to read through.

I'm not a fan of Chrome rims - just me. Check out the Coupe section for ideas. Tons of options though...Have at it.

Midnight grille looks best on the Obsidian Black G's. I feel it pulls everything together up front beautifully.

For Ideas: Upgrade your Map lights to the GT-r map lights, Red GT-R button upgrade, Carsmo turn kn0bs, CHANGE YOUR FLUIDS, Clutch assist, Slave cylinder upgrade, Oil cooler. Those will get you started
Old 08-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Splunk

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Red GT-R button upgrade

Ohhhhhh. That is going to be my next project. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
For whatever reason, it spices up the interior....the kn0b upgrade is a must also.