Sponsored By:

Couple of "settling in" questions -- '08 G37S MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Greenville_Gent
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Couple of "settling in" questions -- '08 G37S MT

Hi gang. I just moved from an '04 G35 MT sedan to an '08 G37S MT coupe.

I'm glad to have found an '08 with under 40,000 miles on it (well, was under 40 when I picked it up in Florida two weeks ago) -- but with any 10-year-old car, there are some "quirks" that I need to iron out.

1) Bluetooth issue -- non-nav model: I can pair and use my phone successfully, but the car seems to forget my phone after I turn it off. Any suggestions?

2) Sunglass holder rattles. Anyone have a good fix?

3) Kids booster seats: I took my kids to a Carmax to make sure they fit in the coupe with their seats. Don't know what year that was, but it wasn't an '08, which has the headrests that tend to defy most kids' gear. My (6 yo) daughter's full car seat fits, but I haven't found any booster seat for my (8 yo) son that fits well. Suggestions?

4) Do y'all tend to use premium gas? I never did in my old one, but I now have a "clean[ish] slate" with my new car.

5) Clutch issue: the clutch on my G35 had the tendency to stick, especially when it was cold outside. On my new one, the clutch first felt awesome -- but then within a few days, I felt a familiar sticking problem. Difference is, my G35 stuck worst when it was cold. Haven't had anything like cold on my new one; haven't yet figured out what the sticking might correlate to (A/C, time on road... though my impression so far has been that it's worst first thing in the morning). I've combed the threads and have ordered a braided & shielded clutch line as well as some higher temp clutch fluid. Any other thoughts if that doesn't work?

I'm not much of a "modder" and rely on my mechanic for most things, but have learned enough on forums & youtube to take care of stuff for which I'd rather not pay or lose my car to the shop for a day.

Thanks for the.... well, just thanks for the good thoughts.

-Greenville_Gent
Old 05-05-2017, 07:21 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase! I can't comment on most of these but as for the bluetooth, many have been experiencing problems due to the new iphone update. But the problem you're having seems to be different. I would give Infiniti consumer affairs a call and ask for the bluetooth department. The guy I spoke to was very helpul.

As for the gas, I used premium for my G35 and have continued to do so with my G37. The VQ is a pretty awesome engine IMO, and it deserve to be treated that way. I'm pretty sure it says right on the gas lid that our cars take premium anyway.

As for the clutch, I can't say much about your specific issue, but I would recommend the RJM clutch bracket. I wanted to get it really badly for my G35 because of how tough our clutches are. It has terrific reviews; makes a big difference in the driveability.

Sorry if this wasn't that helpful haha. But again welcome and congrats.
The following users liked this post:
Greenville_Gent (05-30-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Greenville_Gent
Registered Member

I would recommend the RJM clutch bracket. I wanted to get it really badly for my G35 because of how tough our clutches are. It has terrific reviews; makes a big difference in the driveability.
Ooohh, that does look nice. That's just the sort of suggestion I need. It's a whole lot easier to spend a few hundred dollars on this kind of thing early in ownership (when wallet is already lightened up) than a few months or years hence. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM
taste1h

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick fixes (and cheap) I've used to address 2 of your issues.

#2 - Put your Sun glasses in the soft cloth cover they come in before storing in the sun glasses holder....tedious but this should solve the rattle.

#5 - Start with a clutch spring ($20ish). Try that and if you're still not satisfied then go the RJM clutch route.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Greenville_Gent
Registered Member

#2 - Put your Sun glasses in the soft cloth cover they come in before storing in the sun glasses holder....tedious but this should solve the rattle.
It's not my glasses that rattle. Actually, it's better when my glasses are in the thing, adding some weight. It's the door to the compartment that's rattling. I can "fix" it by stabilizing it -- e.g. closing a thick piece of paper in the "door." Actually, I've been thinking that a little stack of maybe a dozen post-it notes (cut down to about a centimeter square) would probably work well -- but I'm looking for a more elegant and permanent solution. Figured if it's an issue for me, it might well be an issue for others.

In any event, thanks for the input. I've already ordered the RJM pedal, but I imagine there's a $20 spring on there somewhere
Old 05-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Just check the clasp on the hinge door you might need to frighten or adjust
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Greenville_Gent
Registered Member

Genius me -- I ordered the wrong clutch pedal assembly. Spent time & money having my mechanic install it, only to have him figure out I got the G35 assembly instead of the G37 one...

RJM is replacing it for me (though international shipping x 3 is a bear).

Question is: since I'm already in for a penny -- okay, tens of thousands of pennies -- should I go in for a pound and do the RJM master cylinder as well? Does anyone know how much additional install time that would take for my mechanic?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
#1 - I had the same issue so, I bought this Bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the RCA's in the center console. Now I can make/receive calls, it connects to the phone automatically AND you can now stream music from your phone as well, it was the best mod next to test pipes I ever got.

Amazon Amazon

#2 - My sunglass holder rattled too so I bought some adhesive felt stoppers they use for kitchen cabinets and just put them all over the inside and cant see them when its closed. It worked great and was like $2 at Target.

The following users liked this post:
Greenville_Gent (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Greenville_Gent
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
#1 - I had the same issue so, I bought this Bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the RCA's in the center console. Now I can make/receive calls, it connects to the phone automatically AND you can now stream music from your phone as well, it was the best mod next to test pipes I ever got.
To tell you the truth, one of the things I like about the '08 is that only the phone pairs with the Bluetooth. I run my phone into the RCA for audio, then take calls on the Bluetooth. But also, my Bluetooth issues seem to have... settled in. Seems to work just as I'd like now. Not sure what happened or if it was a result of any of my particular efforts.

#2 - My sunglass holder rattled too so I bought some adhesive felt stoppers they use for kitchen cabinets and just put them all over the inside and cant see them when its closed. It worked great and was like $2 at Target.
Yes -- that's perfect. Actually, been wanting to get some pads so I can stop annoying my neighbor with my silverware drawer. Guess I can kill two birds with one stone.

Thank you!