G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Inner fender well clearance when slammed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Mark930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner fender well clearance when slammed?

Ok guys,

What do you folks do for inner fender well clearance when you drop the car 2 or more inches?

Do you simply remove the inner plastic panels and run without them?

In doing so up front, you would expose the underside of the headlight assemblies to water & debris, don't know what you would find underneath the rear inner panels?

Either way, I live in western Washington State and we get lots of rain, so I don't think I would be able to get away with simply removing the inner panels...hummm.

What say you all?

Mark
Old 03-30-2016, 09:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark930
Ok guys,

What do you folks do for inner fender well clearance when you drop the car 2 or more inches?

Do you simply remove the inner plastic panels and run without them?

In doing so up front, you would expose the underside of the headlight assemblies to water & debris, don't know what you would find underneath the rear inner panels?

Either way, I live in western Washington State and we get lots of rain, so I don't think I would be able to get away with simply removing the inner panels...hummm.

What say you all?

Mark
You leave the fender liner intact, but if you run into fender lip clearance you can flat roll the front fender edge (the rear is already flat rolled) and trim the rear fender liner where it rolls up into the fender and the rear fender bracket can be trimmed back w/ a dremel tool.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
^^ perfect answer ^^
Old 03-31-2016, 12:47 AM
Mark930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, but with the fronts @ 245 x 19-8.5 45mm offset & 15mm spacers and the rears @ 275 x 19-9.5 40mm offset the tires are right at the fender lip edges, both front & rear.
So yes rolling the front fender lips will help with turning clearance, but at a -2" ride height my tires will be in contact with the inner fender plastic panels, both front and rear, and I want to go -3", so you can see the issue.
If I was willing to go with -3 or more degrees of negative camber front & rear, clearance would be ok-ish, but I'm not willing to have crappy suspension set-up/alignment.
I learned the hard way with my P-car 930, that there is only one way, and that's the right way to lower a car. Just dropping it and dealing with the extreme negative camber is out of the question.
So is there any other solution?? I can't be the only one that wants real low 7 correct alignment.

Mark
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark930
Ok, but with the fronts @ 245 x 19-8.5 45mm offset & 15mm spacers and the rears @ 275 x 19-9.5 40mm offset the tires are right at the fender lip edges, both front & rear.
So yes rolling the front fender lips will help with turning clearance, but at a -2" ride height my tires will be in contact with the inner fender plastic panels, both front and rear, and I want to go -3", so you can see the issue.
If I was willing to go with -3 or more degrees of negative camber front & rear, clearance would be ok-ish, but I'm not willing to have crappy suspension set-up/alignment.
I learned the hard way with my P-car 930, that there is only one way, and that's the right way to lower a car. Just dropping it and dealing with the extreme negative camber is out of the question.
So is there any other solution?? I can't be the only one that wants real low 7 correct alignment.

Mark
at 2" drop you won't be in contact unless you're running some tires that are much taller than OEM diameter.

I was dropped over 2" (prior to my coilovers) and contact F&R wasn't an issue except for rubbing on the very outside of the rear fender liner.

If you plan on dropping 3" you're going to have a tough time negotiating your daily drives and could jack your front fender if you have a hard compression when turning.

Those wheel/tire specs are pretty conservative for a coupe (unless you also have those spacers in back), I can't imagine your currently right at the fenders edge, post some pics if you can.