Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Internal engine failure, mechanic says engine replacement is necessary.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Primo55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internal engine failure, mechanic says engine replacement is necessary.

Whats up guys,

Looking for some input or advice on the situation I am having with my 2010 Infiniti G37s.

I was out of town this week when the engine began to misfire badly. After trying a plug and coil, I had it towed to a Nissan dealership to get checked out. Compression test shows no compression in cylinder 1. Engine was also burning a lot of oil.

The technician concludes that it is a bent valve, broken piston or rings. He claims that it is cheaper to get a used engine and replace it rather than fix the problem causing compression issues on the current engine.

The engine has only 70k miles on it. It is very strange for this type of damage to happen on an engine which has been well taken care of and maintained.

I bought the car with 23000 miles on it about two years ago and put a lot of miles on it commuting far distances for work. No mods, completely stock.

My questions:

1. Is engine replacement really necessary? or does the dealer just not want to tear down the engine?
2. If it is necessary, does anybody know where to purchase an affordable used engine? Or any suggestions
3. Do you think this qualifies under Infiniti Goodwill program?

(Infiniti opened a case for me to discuss whether or not this qualifies as warranty replacement under their goodwill program which extends the warrenty under certain circumstances)

Any input, suggestions or advice is appreciated, Thanks.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Appeal to the regional rep and see if they want to swap one with a warranty to see what is wrong with it. Good luck!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Sounds like you may have jumped timing and it may have lead to the failure. It would still be a little early in my mind for the timing components to be that worn down. if the car was well maintained, hopefully Infiniti will good will warranty it. But back to your question, it would probably be easier to replace the engine. Shop labor adds up quick, and I don't think auto manufacturers rebuild engines, they just put in new ones. If you do decide on a new engine, you can either get a built one from Import Parts Pro (more expensive option), or just buy a used one (cheaper). Hope Infiniti comes through for you though.

Last edited by Waste86; 03-22-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Wow an infiniti engine failure at 70k miles?
What kind of mods did you have on it? Supercharger? Etc..
Do you track the car?
Were you changing the oil every 3 months?

Just trying to find out why this would happen?
Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Well, you've got a couple of conflicting facts in your story. If this VQ37VHR was "well-cared for and maintained", it should never have been burning much oil. How long had that been going on?

I think your tech is right, a used replacement engine (with verified compression numbers) or a rebuilt shortblock is the cheapest way to go. Not sure this will qualify under the Infiniti Goodwill program unless you've had multiple cars with them. But anything is possible. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Well, you've got a couple of conflicting facts in your story. If this VQ37VHR was "well-cared for and maintained", it should never have been burning much oil.
Non sequitur. Even well-maintained systems can fail.

OP: Push, push, push for warranty replacement. A well-maintained, street-driven car should not blow an engine at 70k miles.

Myles
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Well, you've got a couple of conflicting facts in your story. If this VQ37VHR was "well-cared for and maintained", it should never have been burning much oil. How long had that been going on?

I think your tech is right, a used replacement engine (with verified compression numbers) or a rebuilt shortblock is the cheapest way to go. Not sure this will qualify under the Infiniti Goodwill program unless you've had multiple cars with them. But anything is possible. Good luck!
DK good to see you here as well as My350z
Its nismo0385.
Op if it were well cared for as Dave pointed out why not have the oil consumption issues checked immediately once noticed?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Waste86

I think he means the engine was burning lots of oil when he was noticing the misfiring, not that it was consuming a lot before the problem showed up.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:20 AM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
A well maintained engine absolutely can fail. It happens all the time.

OP call some local mechanic shops and get quotes on a rebuild to compare with the cost of a swap.

Pushing hard for warranty work would be something I worked on in the meantime.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Looking back at this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ug-change.html

Is the current failed cylinder the same cylinder that you were having problems with in that thread?

If so, bring that up to the dealership as the problem started while the car was still under warranty. This might make your case a little stronger towards getting a replacement.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM
G37sGraphite

Originally Posted by dmg6768
A well maintained engine absolutely can fail. It happens all the time.

OP call some local mechanic shops and get quotes on a rebuild to compare with the cost of a swap.

Pushing hard for warranty work would be something I worked on in the meantime.
Anything is possible. Probability is key and no way it " happens all the time"? with this engine....
Old 03-23-2016, 12:36 PM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
Anything is possible. Probability is key and no way it " happens all the time"? with this engine....
It happens all the time to things that aren't normally prone to failure.

If there is probability, there is possibility.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Waste86

Looking back at this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ug-change.html

Is the current failed cylinder the same cylinder that you were having problems with in that thread?

If so, bring that up to the dealership as the problem started while the car was still under warranty. This might make your case a little stronger towards getting a replacement.

Agree, white smoke in that thread sounds like it could have been a head gasket failure.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:20 PM
G37sGraphite

It happens all the time to things that aren't normally prone to failure.

If there is probability, there is possibility.

It is possible that you will win the lottery today. The probability is very low, and zero if you do not play the lottery, but it is possible. Looking at all things based on possibility and not probability is illogical.

We/I are only trying to establish if OP is the unlucky one ....possible. Or if there were other factors that caused the engine failure ....higher probability.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite

It is possible that you will win the lottery today. The probability is very low, and zero if you do not play the lottery, but it is possible. Looking at all things based on possibility and not probability is illogical.

We/I are only trying to establish if OP is the unlucky one ....possible. Or if there were other factors that caused the engine failure ....higher probability.
Nearly all of your questions were answered in the OP if you had just taken the time to read.

It's stated that it's a well maintained engine, and that he is completely stock.

If you want to argue semantics, have fun. I'm not gonna play the internet pissing game with you.

Quick Reply: Internal engine failure, mechanic says engine replacement is necessary.