Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Saga .... Long Post Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
G37 Saga .... Long Post Warning

So … the wife and I (and 2 dogs) recently moved from Maryland to Florida. She drove the M37x with one dog and I drove our Xterra with the other dog. That meant the G37 needed to be shipped. We made arrangements through our moving company with a car transport company. Dates scheduled, contract signed about 2 months in advance. Skip forward to a few days before moving and I get a call that the transport company decided they can’t pick up our car until the day we would already be well on our way to FL. After a lot of conversations about schedules, contracts, closing dates, etc they decided to have a local tow company (flatbed) come get it, store it in their secured lot and then it would get picked up from there for transport. Sounded like a reasonable plan. Car got picked up, driver was very conscientious and took meticulous notes on the cars condition, took pictures, etc.

So we are in FL for about 4 days and it dawns on me we haven’t heard anything about when the G will be delivered. So after several non-returned emails and phone calls I’m being told they aren’t sure where the car is as they can’t reach the driver. This went on for over a day, needless to say I’m going nuts. Finally I get a call from the owner of the transport company that my car never left MD as the driver is AWOL and didn’t pick up any of his cars ….. So now what? Later that day I’m called back to say they hired a different driver (learning the transport company just subs it out to independents) that it’s still at the lot in MD and it’s OK. Car will be picked up in a few days and was given a date for FL delivery. So 2 days before the new delivery date I get a message on my phone that it left the day before and I should get it a day early, call back if you want to talk about it. So I called back and the owner of this company casually mentions the rear window got broken and did they want me to have them fix it? Well DUH …. Yeah, I insisted it be an OEM window and oh by the way, it’s tinted so I’ll need to be reimbursed for that. He said fine and that they already have a place in Tampa they will drop it off to get the window replaced.

Next day, get a call from the driver that he is 5 miles away. About 40 minutes later he calls me and says the car is unloaded. I look outside …. No car, no truck. Come to find out he is at the end of the block. I reminded him that’s not where it’s supposed to be delivered to. A few minutes later he is driving the car down the street to my house. Looking at the rear window the install appears to be OK but I doubt it’s an OEM window, it was replaced at a Glass Doctor. Other than the car being filthy it looks to be OK and the odometer only showed a one mile change.

I pull the car into the driveway for the evening, glad to have our baby back to us, two and a half weeks later. Next day I take it out to get gas and the back speakers sound terrible, buzzing, distorted, etc. I call the transport company back to let them know and remind them about the tint reimbursement. I initially get challenged about the fact they didn’t know if the speakers were that way prior to them taking possession. Let’s say at this point I was less than pleasant. Told them I wanted to take the rear deck off anyhow for tint so I would let him know what I see. My suspicions were correct, the speakers and under the rear deck were full of glass pieces. Took 2hrs to clean it all up and the speakers were OK now. Got it re-tinted yesterday and took advantage of FL’s lower restrictions and had the rear window tinted darker than the sides. Since they are not on the same plane it looks OK. So …. Sorry for the long post, I left out all the aggravating conversations that took place along the way.

All this and now we are thinking of getting rid of the G, wife’s wants a Lexus RX350 (a few years old) so we might trade the G and the Xterra (2012 Pro-4X with only 6k miles) in for a RX. We really don’t need 3 cars and I don’t drive the G much (the M37x is mine).
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, glad your G finally made it back to you. Sounds like an excruciating ordeal, never knowing where it was and what condition it was in. Wonder what really happened w/ that back window???
Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow, glad your G finally made it back to you. Sounds like an excruciating ordeal, never knowing where it was and what condition it was in. Wonder what really happened w/ that back window???
Was told at first the window got "cracked" but was still intact and not leaking. Then after I found all that glass my response was that either the first story was not accurate or the glass people did a terrible job removing the old one. Then I was told it was completely spider cracked and it gave way around GA and then the driver stopped to get a tarp to cover it. The G was in the lower level, rear. My guess is the driver either lowered the upper deck too much or dropped a chain while getting the car above it secure.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
If I were in such position I'd probably fly back and drive the car. Or pay someone I know to drive it and cover their ticket back.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Holy Crap! It sounds like you're fortunate those idiots didn't violate your car worse than they did. You're in Florida now, get rid of the Xterra, get the wife that Lexus and keep the G for a pleasure car. Those M37s are sweet, but I bet you'd miss that G.
The following users liked this post:
2008G-Man (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by Roadrash666
Holy Crap! It sounds like you're fortunate those idiots didn't violate your car worse than they did. You're in Florida now, get rid of the Xterra, get the wife that Lexus and keep the G for a pleasure car. Those M37s are sweet, but I bet you'd miss that G.
Actually, if it were up to me, I'd get rid of the G & Xterra and get a G Vert and the Lexus.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Actually, if it were up to me, I'd get rid of the G & Xterra and get a G Vert and the Lexus.
That sounds like solid planning to me. It is the sunshine state after all.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
long post but good read

Glad it worked out for the most part!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrash666
It is the sunshine state after all.
This is incorrect information. It is not the sunshine state, it is the rainy state. It rains every single day.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Tampered glass Will not spider crack like the windshield I thought?