Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What is this key symbol on the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM
veils1de

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this key symbol on the dash?

This light has been on for over a week now. It comes on whenever I unlock the car and while driving. I know it's not the battery because the key batt icon is a different one, and I've already tried replacing the battery anyway.
Attached Thumbnails What is this key symbol on the dash?-img_1325.jpg  
Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM
PanzMan
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
All Infiniti owners manuals and publications can be found here. I am sure it will answer this as well as the service requirements.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Rtfm ....
The following users liked this post:
Absinthe (06-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM
veils1de

yes, the manual was the first place i looked. it's not in there

edit: nvm, had to look in a different year than the one i was given

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Rtfm ....
chill the **** out
Old 05-28-2015, 01:34 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by veils1de

chill the **** out
And for those too lazy to RTFM, what did you find?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by veils1de

chill the **** out
Sorry I hit too close to home but when you have been on this board as long as I have and see so many questions that can be found in the manual. So yes, when I see those posts (as yours) I will respond RTFM.

When you throw a rock over the fence, it's the hit dog that barks.
Absinthe (06-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
For you folks who don't have acrobat reader

What is this key symbol on the dash?-ouv7vwv.png

page 2-15 of the '12 owner's manual

What is this key symbol on the dash?-umq1kn1.png

Probably a good idea to at least have the pdf on your phone if you don't carry the book in the car.

To the OP, from what I'm reading, this issue could potentially leave you stranded.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:17 PM
veils1de

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Sorry I hit too close to home but when you have been on this board as long as I have and see so many questions that can be found in the manual. So yes, when I see those posts (as yours) I will respond RTFM.

When you throw a rock over the fence, it's the hit dog that barks.
i'm sorry, but when you were given an owner's manual for a different year than your car's, and the info isnt there because the years vary, then yeah, i'm going to post on this forum. And I'm glad I did because the first response provided links to others years, which helped me find what I needed. When I called the dealership they didn't tell me anything useful. Don't assume people didn't read the manual just because they asked a question that you may or may not have read many times. It's completely irrelevant to me because for me, it's MY first time coming across this issue. If you dont want to answer, then feel free not to. no one is throwing rocks here. chill the **** out

Jsolo, thanks for posting it
Old 05-28-2015, 02:36 PM
2008G-Man

Apparently you didn't understand the saying, "When you throw a rock over the fence, it's the hit dog that barks."

Funny, both my Infiniti manuals have the car's year posted right on the cover.Glad you got it sorted out.
Absinthe (06-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 PM
teefar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. (The first thing you need to do is replace the battery in the key, if that doesn't fix it keep reading).
Whenever I walk away from my car while its running or on(even to the trunk), it comes on. Or sometimes when I unlock it from the push button on the door handle. It also can come on if I remove the key from the slot under the dash before I open the door(crazy, I know).
You will probably also notice that the steering wheel doesn't lock while its on. To make the light go off, I just keep the key in thr slot under the dash and it stays off. It takes a few cycles for it to go back off.
I figure I need to have my intelligent key reprogramed or may I need a new key.

It took me a few months to figure this out.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:49 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^What? You shouldn't need to keep the key in the slot to start/operate the car. If you do, the fob's battery is dead and/or the active circuit is malfunctioning.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:37 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^What? You shouldn't need to keep the key in the slot to start/operate the car. If you do, the fob's battery is dead and/or the active circuit is malfunctioning.
^^ What he said ... you will get the key symbol when you walk away from your car (even to the trunk) with the key in your pocket. You should also hear a beeping noise too when you do that, it's normal. Having to put your key in the socket is not normal unless the battery (in the key fob) is dead.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:42 PM
teefar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I'm fully aware that this is not normal. I was just explaining what was happening with my car. I guess you missed the where I suggested replacing the battery(first line) and I guess you also missed the part where I said that my key fob may need to be replaced or reprogramed(last line).
Reading is fundamental
Old 05-30-2015, 06:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Originally Posted by teefar
I'm fully aware that this is not normal. I was just explaining what was happening with my car. I guess you missed the where I suggested replacing the battery(first line) and I guess you also missed the part where I said that my key fob may need to be replaced or reprogramed(last line).
Reading is fundamental
Nope, I didn't miss it, but posted for clarification. There's been numerous posts where folks think using the fob slot is required or it charges the fob.

Does your car behave correctly with the 2nd fob?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 PM
veils1de

Originally Posted by teefar
I have the same problem. (The first thing you need to do is replace the battery in the key, if that doesn't fix it keep reading).
Whenever I walk away from my car while its running or on(even to the trunk), it comes on. Or sometimes when I unlock it from the push button on the door handle. It also can come on if I remove the key from the slot under the dash before I open the door(crazy, I know).
You will probably also notice that the steering wheel doesn't lock while its on. To make the light go off, I just keep the key in thr slot under the dash and it stays off. It takes a few cycles for it to go back off.
I figure I need to have my intelligent key reprogramed or may I need a new key.

It took me a few months to figure this out.
ive tried replacing the battery and it with the 2nd fob, and placing it in the slot as well. i'm going to get it looked at during the week. havent had issues yet but id rather be safe

Quick Reply: What is this key symbol on the dash?