Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

new G37S owner (mod suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
winning_blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new G37S owner (mod suggestions)

I just purchased a 2010 G37S this past weekend..6MT, navigation, the works. I'm very happy with the car and how it drives, it is a nice upgrade from my previous car (Acura TL). I'm on other car forums so I am aware of how everything works but I just have a few questions in regards to small modifications.

1. Does the Gen 3 Stillen CAI really add almost 19 hp?? If so I'll really consider that.

2. Is there a place to buy new tail lights? I'd like them to be black to go with the car color, the red doesn't really do it for me. I'm unsure if the only way is to smoke them out with a paint of some kind or what yall do. I have seen a few pictures floating around the site though and it looks much more glossy and smooth opposed to someone taking a can on niteshades to them.

3. I HATE the exhaust tips. I don't know what it is but I just want something more aggressive looking instead of the smooshed oval appearance in the back. **I don't want to make the car any louder than what it is so I am going to stay away from a new exhaust altogether for the time being** With that being said, are there exhaust tips that are popular for the G37S? Or do people not do just the tips..

Thanks for all the help. I'll be doing the basic stuff soon (front window tint, interior leds, etc.)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1. Does the Gen 3 Stillen CAI really add almost 19 hp?? If so I'll really consider that.

That is a matter of some debate. IMO, it is one of the better, if not the best, CAI's on the market. I have it in mine. It's worth getting, if you're chasing HP. Everyone will tell you that the best bang-for-buck mod is just to go forced induction.

2. Is there a place to buy new tail lights? I'd like them to be black to go with the car color, the red doesn't really do it for me. I'm unsure if the only way is to smoke them out with a paint of some kind or what yall do. I have seen a few pictures floating around the site though and it looks much more glossy and smooth opposed to someone taking a can on niteshades to them.

There are several DIY's here for tinting lights. I will caution you though, Texas law now has any light impeding additions to a light as automatic grounds to fail inspection.

3. I HATE the exhaust tips. I don't know what it is but I just want something more aggressive looking instead of the smooshed oval appearance in the back. **I don't want to make the car any louder than what it is so I am going to stay away from a new exhaust altogether for the time being** With that being said, are there exhaust tips that are popular for the G37S? Or do people not do just the tips..

People typically just get new tips as part of a new exhaust.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
congrats & welcome
Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
1. Yes the Stillen gen 3 has show upward to +19whp gain on a dyno.

2. Tinted taillights are very ricey and could cause the car behind you to hit you if they are unable to see the lights. They could use that as ground to put you at fault in case of an accident, not worth it.

3. You can go to any local exhaust shop, pick out a set of just exhaust tips they are selling and have them cut the stock one and weld the new one in. Magnaflow seems to have a nice selection of exhaust tips.

see this => MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Tips For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles
Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Numonik

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by winning_blue

I recommend getting the Stillen intake with the Z1 Plenum Power Mod, should cost you about 800 for both and will yield you some very noticeable power gains.

I'm a "noob" as well and just posted for the 1st time yesterday, though I've had my car for about a year, I've been creeping on the forums.

I suggest so that you don't waste money on parts you may end up taking off later, sit down and really decide what you want to turn your baby into. Then do the research and decide the best plan of attack, so that you don't end up spending money on parts that will later be removed or upgraded.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by Numonik
I recommend getting the Stillen intake with the Z1 Plenum Power Mod, should cost you about 800 for both and will yield you some very noticeable power gains.

I'm a "noob" as well and just posted for the 1st time yesterday, though I've had my car for about a year, I've been creeping on the forums.

I suggest so that you don't waste money on parts you may end up taking off later, sit down and really decide what you want to turn your baby into. Then do the research and decide the best plan of attack, so that you don't end up spending money on parts that will later be removed or upgraded.
That power mod might work, but he would have to be without his intake manifold for the duration of the modification. I'm still suspicious of this "secret" process, obviously the dyno speaks for itself, but it seems odd they won't even tell you what they did.

+1 for not putting parts on your car that are incompatible with future mods.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Yeah I noticed you talked about this in your 1st post and i'll consider doing it as well. I'm located in the Virgin Islands so I'd really have to prepare to be without my G for some time....
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

I have my stock intake manifold I already swapped for the Motordyne M370. I would be willing to sell my stock one for cheap so you won't be deprived of yours while you wait.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Numonik

Originally Posted by PongSanity
Yeah I noticed you talked about this in your 1st post and i'll consider doing it as well. I'm located in the Virgin Islands so I'd really have to prepare to be without my G for some time....
Not 100% sure about this, but they might let you put a deposit down on the core, grab one for you, do the mod, send you the newly modified one then when you send them back your oem one they'll refund the money. Its worth calling and asking.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Numonik

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
That power mod might work, but he would have to be without his intake manifold for the duration of the modification. I'm still suspicious of this "secret" process, obviously the dyno speaks for itself, but it seems odd they won't even tell you what they did.

+1 for not putting parts on your car that are incompatible with future mods.
I understand why, if its something they figured out then told someone then they would lose business on doing it. I'm not one to pry, though they told me they could tell me verbally what they do, just haven't been down there since saturday to get the deets.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I have my stock intake manifold I already swapped for the Motordyne M370. I would be willing to sell my stock one for cheap so you won't be deprived of yours while you wait.
I may take you up on that offer. I'll call z1 then pm you what they say.

Not 100% sure about this, but they might let you put a deposit down on the core, grab one for you, do the mod, send you the newly modified one then when you send them back your oem one they'll refund the money. Its worth calling and asking.
I'll see what arrangements they would make for me. Haven't seen this z1 intake power mod on this forum at all so I'm more inclined to take that route.