Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Carbon Fiber Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Carbon Fiber Hood?

I'm thinking on replacing my aluminum hood with a carbon fiber hood but I would like some input from you guys...

-yay or nay?
-VIS cr hood or Carbon creation cr hood?
-vents or no vents?
-painted or carbon fiber look?

I have a black obsidian G37s, but pics of any color would suffice.

PS. yes I've used the search engine and looked myself. Looking for any other info possible. Fitment, alignment etc...
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 AM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
my Seibon CF hood has a tiny gap in front. Other members experience the same issue and some cut the hood spring a little to make it fit proper and flush.

Tiny gap in the center of the hood with the bumper.
Carbon Fiber Hood?-cu15eum.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
^^^Now that's a sweet rolling shot, nice ride too
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Never really been a fan of carbon fiber hoods. I don't dislike them per say, but seeing them in person on vehicles, I didn't really like the fit or finish.

Just curious, what is the weight savings on the G37 CF hood over stock?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
avoid seibon at any costs, they have poor fitment and the hood gap between the bumper and hood is just plain fugly. it is highlighted more if you have a lighter color car, black can hide it better.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
WOW didn't even mention Autokits, I know I'm the only one with it ( an THATS f'f AWESOME) But there stuff is A++.. No gap perfect fit. See this thread also.

PG2 .https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...cf-hood-2.html
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Hood?-frontshoot-wet.jpg   Carbon Fiber Hood?-sidshot-wet.jpg  

Last edited by ANMVQ; 10-31-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM
PongSanity

Originally Posted by *ICE*
my Seibon CF hood has a tiny gap in front. Other members experience the same issue and some cut the hood spring a little to make it fit proper and flush.
Thats a sweet *** rolling shot. Was installation real easy or a PITA? do you prefer the painted hood or wouldve rather the CF look? I do notice the gap in the front. it's not that bad IMO but Seibon have got some negative reviews based on my research. Which front bumper is that though?

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
WOW didn't even mention Autokits, I know I'm the only one with it ( an THATS f'f AWESOME)
Nice hood. I see you went the painted route as well. I havent seen any CF hoods made by Autokits... or i havent done my research properly lol. I'll take a look into them.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM
PongSanity

So it seems like painted is the way to go Seibon is not. I also read that many folks rather use hood pins than the OEM hood clip. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

If you check the link in my post that's the CF look. I didn't have an option
My CF hood was ruined my Herb Chambers ( didn't latch it down) I had to paint it :/
Old 10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PongSanity
Thats a sweet *** rolling shot. Was installation real easy or a PITA? do you prefer the painted hood or wouldve rather the CF look? I do notice the gap in the front. it's not that bad IMO but Seibon have got some negative reviews based on my research. Which front bumper is that though?

Nice hood. I see you went the painted route as well. I havent seen any CF hoods made by Autokits... or i havent done my research properly lol. I'll take a look into them.

Installation was very easy. Just swap out the factory mounting bracket to the new CF hood. I had to put epoxy on the threads of the 2 mounting hooks to keep it tight, or else it would be loose when you screw it in the CF hood. I had it painted OEM color but still keep some CF accents on the vents so people would know its real CF. Looks really nice.

The small gap from fitment issue doesn't affect me that much. I would run hood pins but that required cutting a hole in the hood and drilling into the subframe, and that is too much hassel. I'll switch back to OEM hood at a later on when i get bored of this look.

The front bumper is authentic Zele performance front.

So it seems like painted is the way to go Seibon is not. I also read that many folks rather use hood pins than the OEM hood clip. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

Tiny gap in the center of the hood with the bumper.
Please tell me those are our lights, I would love to forward this to our Marketing department lol

That is a sweet rolling shot

Nick C.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:49 PM
PongSanity

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
If you check the link in my post that's the CF look. I didn't have an option
My CF hood was ruined my Herb Chambers ( didn't latch it down) I had to paint it :/
ahhhh i see.... Looks good both ways...do you have any issue with water getting into the engine? due to the vents and what not? I already know its great to release all that hot air from under the engine...

Installation was very easy. Just swap out the factory mounting bracket to the new CF hood. I had to put epoxy on the threads of the 2 mounting hooks to keep it tight, or else it would be loose when you screw it in the CF hood. I had it painted OEM color but still keep some CF accents on the vents so people would know its real CF. Looks really nice.

The front bumper is authentic Zele performance front.
Okay sounds like a job for my body man. I'll be respraying it so he could install it one time. whats your take on the water getting into the engine bay through the vents though...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Please tell me those are our lights, I would love to forward this to our Marketing department lol

That is a sweet rolling shot

Nick C.
sent you a PM
Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

ahhhh i see.... Looks good both ways...do you have any issue with water getting into the engine? due to the vents and what not? I already know its great to release all that hot air from under the engine...

Okay sounds like a job for my body man. I'll be respraying it so he could install it one time. whats your take on the water getting into the engine bay through the vents though...
the heat from the engine will evaporate water quickly. I have a Stillen Gen 2 intakes which basically a short ram and the car is fine without any problem. I'll probably switch to Gen 3 soon for perfomance purpose.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

No issue with water , yea things get wet bit the engine heat quickly drys everything off

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood?