Sponsored By:

2011 G37S coupe vs. 2011 G37xS coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 PM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 G37S coupe vs. 2011 G37xS coupe

Hi all,
I’m trying to decide between these two cars (both automatics). I heard that the G37xS sedan had a watered down sport package which didn’t give the LSD, improved steering, big brakes, etc. I’ve been considering this 2011 G37xS coupe and am wondering if the sport package in this car is the real deal (includes everything from the 6MT model)?

Am I correct in assuming that if you are buying a coupe (2010+), the G37S (MT and 7AT) and the G37xS all have the exact same sport packages?

I live in a place where it doesn’t really snow, are there any benefits from the AWD or will it just make things slower and less fun? Ideally I think I want rwd but the RWD G37s i was looking into sold, so maybe I need to wait for the next one .
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
You are correct, except the VLSD in the AWD application.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by NJ Torque
You are correct, except the VLSD in the AWD application.
Thanks for the response. I see that you have both awd and rwd G37s. How different do the cars really feel in normal driving conditions? Does the G37x tend to understeer a good amount more? Is the difference in acceleration and braking distance something you can actually feel?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by halfshaft
Thanks for the response. I see that you have both awd and rwd G37s. How different do the cars really feel in normal driving conditions? Does the G37x tend to understeer a good amount more? Is the difference in acceleration and braking distance something you can actually feel?
If you drive with the vdc off you will notice much less understeer. You can easily kick out the wheels in the xs.

Although realize that awd does understeer and rwd does oversteer. I have driven both and own a xs coupe and love it. I even installed a switch to turn off the awd so I can drive with just the rwd if I want.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:46 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
If you drive with the vdc off you will notice much less understeer. You can easily kick out the wheels in the xs.

Although realize that awd does understeer and rwd does oversteer. I have driven both and own a xs coupe and love it. I even installed a switch to turn off the awd so I can drive with just the rwd if I want.

So I got to drive the G37xS coupe and well it drove fine, it was hard to tell the difference between the rwd on the test drive since I couldn't really push the car too hard under the test drive conditions. It was still quite fun to drive and handled well despite its 3900 lb or so weight. I would have already bought if it weren't for the fact that I'll barely ever drive in snow, does it make any sense to have awd in a place which gets mostly rain?
I also thought the awd was full time and can't be disabled?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I got to drive the G37xS coupe and well it drove fine, it was hard to tell the difference between the rwd on the test drive since I couldn't really push the car too hard under the test drive conditions. It was still quite fun to drive and handled well despite its 3900 lb or so weight. I would have already bought if it weren't for the fact that I'll barely ever drive in snow, does it make any sense to have awd in a place which gets mostly rain?
I also thought the awd was full time and can't be disabled?
I am pretty sure that the AWD is advertised as being able to send all the power to the rear wheels unless slippage is detected, at which point power is diverted to the front wheels. So that means that you should not feel a difference in a normal test drive.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Kinetic (12-04-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

When they were stock, the S handled better then the X...

Brake distance was much better(akebono) brakes...
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by Superteeth
I am pretty sure that the AWD is advertised as being able to send all the power to the rear wheels unless slippage is detected, at which point power is diverted to the front wheels. So that means that you should not feel a difference in a normal test drive.
Indeed for most of the test drive I couldn't tell any difference, only when I accelerated out of a few corners pretty hard I could feel a little difference. But still the test drive was hardly enough for me to really tell the difference. They both drove well, which is why I'm wondering if anyone who has driven these cars much more can give me some insight into the differences.

Originally Posted by NJ Torque
When they were stock, the S handled better then the X...

Brake distance was much better(akebono) brakes...
I guess that's not too surprising, S vs xS would be interesting though. I wonder if the added weight of the x really messes up the handling to the point where you can feel it. I know the rwd G is fun to throw around the corners, I'm worried the awd might be more boring even with the sport pack.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 PM
SPDCRZ

The xs is full time rear wheel drive unless it slips. Which is why its easy to disable.

As for handling and breaking. I find I can corner quicker and better then my S buddies, but it should being awd afterall. For breaking its about the same, it really is a tiny difference. The only reason why the xs might be a bit slower but that's because of the weight difference. The breaks are the same.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:11 PM
halfshaft

The xs is full time rear wheel drive unless it slips. Which is why its easy to disable.

As for handling and breaking. I find I can corner quicker and better then my S buddies, but it should being awd afterall. For breaking its about the same, it really is a tiny difference. The only reason why the xs might be a bit slower but that's because of the weight difference. The breaks are the same.
Sounds good. One of the things about the awd that I didn't like was the ridiculous gap in the wheel wells from the increased ride height. Do the AWD coupes have a decent selection of springs or coilovers? I think I'd want to lower it just enough to eliminate the wheel gap.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Didn't see where you live , which would be a big factor for the AWD.
But I have the AWD coupe and dropped on HR's and sways it coners
like its on rails . As far as performence vs the S I bet is almost 0
difference the AWD weights like 200 more for the tcase but that's all.
I have run a few 370's manuals and been nose to nose all the till a slowly
walk away . They where both stock tho .

Sorry if the spacing on this is ??? On my Iphone
Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM
SPDCRZ

Sounds good. One of the things about the awd that I didn't like was the ridiculous gap in the wheel wells from the increased ride height. Do the AWD coupes have a decent selection of springs or coilovers? I think I'd want to lower it just enough to eliminate the wheel gap.
Eibach lowering springs make a perfect fitment for 20 inch wheels.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Didn't see where you live , which would be a big factor for the AWD.
But I have the AWD coupe and dropped on HR's and sways it coners
like its on rails . As far as performence vs the S I bet is almost 0
difference the AWD weights like 200 more for the tcase but that's all.
I have run a few 370's manuals and been nose to nose all the till a slowly
walk away . They where both stock tho .

Sorry if the spacing on this is ??? On my Iphone
I spend most of my time in Seattle and other areas in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the populated areas in the PNW only get a couple inches of snow a year so AWD would barely be used in the snow for me. It does rain a crap ton around here and the roads are pretty much always wet but I don't think people buy AWD for that.

Eibach lowering springs make a perfect fitment for 20 inch wheels.
Sounds good, I think I'd like to stay on the stock 19s for a while though.

One thing I've found kind of annoying is that the sport package on the 2011 G37xS seems to be missing some things from the sport package on the standard Journey RWD. I noticed the rwd one has a sport tuned steering wheel but the awd one doesn't. Seems stupid of Infiniti to do.

2011 G37 Journey RWD:
"Sport Package - $1,900
Rear limited-slip differential; Sport brakes with 4-piston calipers (front) and 2-piston calipers (rear) with larger rotors (front and rear); Sport front fascia and side sills; Front driver seat : sports with seven 14-way power ; details: manual thigh support, front passenger seat: : sports ; details: manual thigh support; Driver power adj torso & thigh bolsters; Sports pedals; Sport suspension; Transmission: with paddle shifters includes gearchange paddles; Solid magnesium paddle shifters; 14.7:1 sport-tuned steering gear; Alloy wheels: 19"x 8.5", alloy wheels: 19"x 9.0"; Front summer 225 / 45 W-rated tires, rear summer 245 / 40 W-rated tires; Not available with Wheat interior; Exterior dimensions: 54.9 in. overall height; Requires: [P01] Premium Package
"

2011 G37x AWD:
"Sport Package - $1,900
Rear limited-slip differential; Sport brakes with 4-piston calipers (front) and 2-piston calipers (rear) with larger rotors (front and rear); Sport front fascia and side sills; Front driver seat : sports with seven 14-way power ; details: manual thigh support, front passenger seat: : sports ; details: manual thigh support; Driver power adj torso & thigh bolsters; Sports pedals; Sport suspension; Transmission: with paddle shifters includes gearchange paddles; Solid magnesium paddle shifters; Alloy wheels: 19"x 8.5"; Front all-season 225 / 45 V-rated tires, rear all-season 245 / 45 V-rated tires; Not available with Wheat interior; Exterior dimensions: 54.9 in. overall height; Requires: [P01] Premium Package"

Looking at the Q60 (rebadged G37 coupe) on the Infiniti website shows sport tuned steering wheel for the sport package on the Q60 AWD coupe. So does the sport pack on the awd come with the retuned steering wheel or not?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
halfshaft

Hmm, the above information seems to contradict this:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...oupe_specs.pdf

It lists the only difference in the sports package to be the wheel/tire sizes.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:35 PM
SPDCRZ

Well whatever you read halfshaft is against the truth.

I have the xs and actually have more options then my friends full loaded g.

The only difference may be the tires and the ride height.

Maybe if you are in the USA it may be a bit different, but in Canada all sport models have the same sport tuned steering.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37S coupe vs. 2011 G37xS coupe