Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Power wire amp install question...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power wire amp install question...please help!

Okay, my question is in regards to the power wire (wire ran from the battery in the engine bay to the cabin of the car) for use with an amplifier. I have the amp and sub all installed but I ran into a bit of a road block. I can't tell where the best location is to put the power wire through the firewall. I have looked through the DIY section and have not been able to find anything that pertains to this particular problem. Does any one know the best place to run this wire through the fire wall? Please help! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
IN PAST CARS I have always ran it through where the speedometer cable went through the firewall. If its a 4g wire though, might have to drill a hole and use a rubber grommet.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
tattoo400

I am having a bitch of a time finding where the pertinent area's are even located....I can't see or feel any suitable place to put the wire through. I tried from under the car and from above but everything is covered in a foam like cover and the places are so cramped....I just can't see where to put the wire through....I want to hear the sub already.....but this one wire has me baffled. It's only a 10 gauge wire so I don't need a huge hole to put it through....again...thank you for you're help and for any pics you can post to aid me in this problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Can you just jumper off the fuse block that's already in the cabin, under the dash?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
tattoo400

I was thinking about that.....I may end up doing that......just gotta figure out how to do that with such a thick wire.....I already ran the remote wire from the fuse box....if there is a wire that is hot at all times (switched or not) I will use that as the power source instead of the battery itself. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tattoo400
Okay, my question is in regards to the power wire (wire ran from the battery in the engine bay to the cabin of the car) for use with an amplifier. I have the amp and sub all installed but I ran into a bit of a road block. I can't tell where the best location is to put the power wire through the firewall. I have looked through the DIY section and have not been able to find anything that pertains to this particular problem. Does any one know the best place to run this wire through the fire wall? Please help! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Ive always had cars that were available with manual transmissions, but I never had the manual transmission versions.

The good thing about that is it always leaves a grommet somewhere in the firewall for where the clutch pedal would normally go through. If you have an automatic G, you might be able to track down the clutch pedal grommet location (it would be under the dash in the pedal area)

If you cant find that, or DO have a stick shift, you might look for a grommet where the main wiring harness(es) come into the car. I used that trick in my 5 speed Neon, there was a 2" round grommet through the firewall for the main wiring harness....poked a small hole with an ice pick (carefully!! dont hit any existing wires) and pulled the 4 ga wire through it.

DO NOT try to wire a 4 gauge to the fuse box. Im almost positive you'll end up breaking something or worse.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Rad_Slinger

^^gotta agree with the above poster.

Do NOT wire it directly to the fuse box. The remote wire is a different story, but your power wire will pull way too much juice and you could potentially damage it or "worse"
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Well you shouldn't be drawing any more amps (aka juice, current) then the fuse box can handle, that would not be good. Not sure about the G but many cars have an extra spots on the fuse box. most of the times those are 10 or 15 amp fused.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
tattoo400

Okay cool, thanks for the heads up with the fuse block! I thought that might be a bad idea. I suppose I will look for a bulkhead connector that goes through the firewall and put the power wire through that....still REALLY difficult to see where that might be....even the electronic throttle wire is hard to track down. I can see where it comes from the accelerator pedal but after it goes up into the dash......that's it...that's where I lose track of it and therefore where it goes through the firewall......ahhh! I'm so close to installing my stereo! just gotta find a way into the cabin from the engine bay....arrrrrg.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Rad_Slinger

Try looking from the engine bay.....might be a little easier.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
tattoo400

I tried in vain to look for a suitable place from the engine bay but good god there is NO room to see anything at all:/ I will put it on jack stands tomorrow and see what I can find from under the car.....
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have always been able to find a rubber grommet somewhere behind the brake pedal. You should be able to look at the firewall from under the hood and find a suitable location to enter the cabin. I'm going to be installing a sub soon, so when I get a minute, I'll see what I can see.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
tattoo400

Cool! I had no luck finding anything from up top the engine bay....just too cramped and hard to see anything If I find a way I will post it and try to post it with pics.....if and when you do it....please do the same. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is easy. Follow the blue power wire. It comes right down into the passenger kick panel area. Then run under the passenger foot sill (unclips), Then behind plastic rear panel, then under seat, and up into trunk area.......

Name:  MTXInstall005.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  201.3 KB

Name:  MTXInstall006.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  MTXInstall009.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  195.9 KB

Name:  MTXInstall010.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  198.8 KB
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
tattoo400

THANK YOU!!!! exactly what I was looking for!! So glad you posted that, many thanks my friend

Quick Reply: Power wire amp install question...please help!