G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by County-of-Kings
cut the douchebaggery and take the wheels off, last thing we need is a g coupe with a ****ty plastidip job looking like an old honda, do it the right way.

Do it the right way? Plasti-Dipping is NOT the right way You're making your car look like a damn honda....

Name:  jackie-chan-meme1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  92.7 KB

Powder-coat the damn wheels and stop being a cheap ****.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by County-of-Kings
cut the douchebaggery and take the wheels off, last thing we need is a g coupe with a ****ty plastidip job looking like an old honda, do it the right way.
Wow you have no clue what you're talking about
Old 05-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Here's some advice...don't do it! You're gonna end up spraying your calipers, rotors, brake lines, etc. Plus you run the risk of over spray. If you're gonna do it, do it the right way and don't half *** it. Get the wheel locks issue fixed then do your wheels.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Like I said in my other thread, I wouldn't risk damage to a car I work my *** off to pay for. I took my time masking it and to those who think plasti dip makes a car look like a honda...........LOLK

I'd rather spend 30 bucks to black out my wheels then invest the remainder $470 that would have been used to powder coat on a new set of wheels.

All in all I like the look, and really, that is all that matters. I simply asked a question asking how to specifically do something, but hey, we can't get everything.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Powder coating is the right way?

I could have sworn I saw a thread yesterday that says powder coating rims actually makes them weaker and prone to cracking.

Kinda gotta agree with the op. 30$ PD > $500 PC > $2000 new rims
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Powder coating isn't that expensive... I've done a few set and couple sets even with some crazy hard multilayer colors... never spent more than 300 for a set and usually only about 200. This is including the stripping and prepping as well.

I've plastidipped only one thing on my car and it's my strut bar brackets, and I'm actually thinking of just painting them because the strut tower nuts are stripping the rubbery paint when I tighten them. lol

Plastidipped is pretty good if you're going to just do simple little things like emblems, interior trims (steering wheel bezel especially), and maybe front grill as well. It is very convenient to use because you do not have to prep the surface as long as it's dust and grim free. But other than that, it's pretty useless to me.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnysG
Do it the right way? Plasti-Dipping is NOT the right way You're making your car look like a damn honda....

Powder-coat the damn wheels and stop being a cheap ****.
Im not into painting, plasti-dipping stock wheels. I just bought some hot 20's and called it a day.

BUT

How in the world does plasti-dipping make his car look like a Honda? Did you even think before you wrote that dumb statement? And if it offends you so much, maybe YOU should pay for his Powder-coating. LOL
Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by jesse550
Like I said in my other thread, I wouldn't risk damage to a car I work my *** off to pay for. I took my time masking it and to those who think plasti dip makes a car look like a honda...........LOLK

I'd rather spend 30 bucks to black out my wheels then invest the remainder $470 that would have been used to powder coat on a new set of wheels.

All in all I like the look, and really, that is all that matters. I simply asked a question asking how to specifically do something, but hey, we can't get everything.
You gotta get that wheel lock situation handled first, bro! You have to get those locks broke off. I wouldn't do anything until I did that. I would think painting a vertical object would be harder when trying to get a consistent layer.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to a Nissan dealer. Tell them you need the wheel lock key and they will probably bring out a whole set to see which one fits for your wheel lock. Ask them if you can buy the key they use to take it off.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't think plasti-dipping looks that bad...if done properly. Sure it won't last as long as powder coating, but its a good, temporary alternative for someone who wants to see how blacked-out parts will look...with plasti-dip you can peel it off if you don't like it...its a lot harder to strip painted/powder coated wheels if you realize you don't like the look or if you get sick of it
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Savages! So whether or not he removes the wheels before using plasti dip determines whether it is a Honda like move not the fact that he is even using that crap on his car?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Haters gonna hate......lol
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
stickstickly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha, I'd like to propose an "I hate plasti dip" thread where all the haters can go post so they don't crap up every thread having to do with it.

BTW, like the others, you should get the wheels off before you go plastidipping. In my opinion, the wheels look much better if you leave the center infiniti cap and lug nuts silver.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Orrrrr just one "I am a cheap a$$ and will use plasti dip regardless of what people think" thread.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Wyldfyer

^^^
Or the "I am an A-Hole and my opinion brings nothing POSITIVE to the thread" thread. You have no idea about the OP or his financial situation.

Quick Reply: Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?