G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
the 37's a pretty beefy car...i learned everything about cars on my previous 2005 TL. it was a nice car...but i took the thing apart and put it back together (not entirely - just bolt ons, aspec kit, suspension, etc.) learned the do's and dont's on that thing!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Why is the title of this thread "University Student Buying.... " Shouldn't it read grandfather wants to buy me a car? If this was me, I'd tell my grandfather he earned the money, he should keep it for his retirement or put it towards me in his will to make sure he has enough money to support himself (and wife if there is one) till his final days. Wouldn't it feel personally better to have worked and purchased a car yourself than having it just handed to you by someone else?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikter
Why is the title of this thread "University Student Buying.... " Shouldn't it read grandfather wants to buy me a car? If this was me, I'd tell my grandfather he earned the money, he should keep it for his retirement or put it towards me in his will to make sure he has enough money to support himself (and wife if there is one) till his final days. Wouldn't it feel personally better to have worked and purchased a car yourself than having it just handed to you by someone else?
Awesome response!

To the OP, I go to FSU (Florida State University) and have no issues. I just walk a bit farther than everyone else. I park away from other cars and try to park in the shade as long as its not directly under a tree where sap can fall on it or get **** on by some bird. My G lives outside so it gets washed weekly and waxed with UV ray protectant pretty regularly as well. I work and go to school and pay for everything on my own (other than tuition) and it feels good knowing I worked for my car and things I own.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My advice would be based on parking. If you have a dedicated parking spot where you know people won't ding your doors, then get the car. Even if it's outdoors, as long as you make time to wax her more frequently you'll be ok. If you only have a general lot or god forbid a frat house lot to park in then I would suggest getting a beater, colleges eat cars alive. Drunk college kids driving and parking everywhere? That's what my corolla was for
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
tbone12

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im in college and my car has been fine, no issues so far.

Edit: Actually, I get a lot of sh*t at school for my car, My friends always give me trouble about it. People don't appreciate it and thinks its "rice" so its been fuked with before. One time I went out to get in my car ( It was dusty ) and I noticed foot prints form the front of the hood to the end of the trunk. (someone has a death wish). I have to park at a frat house so it may be different elsewhere, But I guess there is always an inherent risk with owning nice things. People who don't have respect for themselves, much less others, will find a way to take out there frustration on you.

But don't let that deter you from getting a G, I love mine and very happy with my decision.

Last edited by tbone12; 03-08-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
MurderedG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had a rich grandpa. Dude get the nicest car you can get. Buy a beater for college? No. thats like saying you rather have 10k dollars than 30k dollars. Get the nicest most expensive car you can get away with, it will set you up for your car buying future. Down the road, its alot better to have a trade-in car that is worth 12k as opposed to 5k. I say get the nicest and most reliable car that will retain its value. Lexus is a good choice. Both the IS and the G will become dated when the new models come out shortly anyways...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What you are not understanding is grand parents often times want to do things for their kids/grand kids while they are still alive and can watch them enjoy it. My mom got so mad at me when I wouldn't take her money to make a recent purchase. I thought I was doing the right thing by turning her down. It turns out I pissed her off as she has plenty of money but wants to see the kids enjoy it instead of giving it to them after she is dead...........
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Wyldfyer

Pointless Post. Im pretty sure the OP didn' t make this thread to get advice on how to run his family.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by tazicon
what you are not understanding is grand parents often times want to do things for their kids/grand kids while they are still alive and can watch them enjoy it. My mom got so mad at me when i wouldn't take her money to make a recent purchase. I thought i was doing the right thing by turning her down. It turns out i pissed her off as she has plenty of money but wants to see the kids enjoy it instead of giving it to them after she is dead...........
amen!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Wyldfyer

I say take a look at the G and the IS350. The IS350 is a lot faster. However, it has 2 extra doors which may not be good if you make friends in school. You WILL be the taxi LOL. College was the best years of my life tho and I had some-what flashy cars. It helps with girls. (what can I say). I got good grades so it all worked out.

Im an advocate of being balanced. Work hard. Play hard!!!

Of course when I have kids I will have to delete this post, LOL.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
blueninjabron

Forget the price of the car, do some reasearch on how many times you have to buy brakes and tires and how much that will run you. If your comfortable with that, no reason to not buy the car but it get expensive that is for sure!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
just remember, your insurance will be quite high because of your age and the car you drive but hey, if you're not paying for it then go ahead with the 6-mt..just remember when you are at the pump filling up with premium which is quite high at the time being and when maintenance stuff come up..Also a used 6-mt means that the clutch doesnt have much life left along with the warranty. Might not be a bad idea to take your grandpa up on his offer once you are out of school perhaps..
Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Trunks333

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I say take a look at the G and the IS350. The IS350 is a lot faster. However, it has 2 extra doors which may not be good if you make friends in school. You WILL be the taxi LOL. College was the best years of my life tho and I had some-what flashy cars. It helps with girls. (what can I say). I got good grades so it all worked out.

Im an advocate of being balanced. Work hard. Play hard!!!

Of course when I have kids I will have to delete this post, LOL.
IS350 is a very dull car. Boring, but great for girls.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just leased a New 2012 6mt after my 08 5at. I'm finishing my second year at university. Definitely worth it
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
slpr

Does it snow a lot down in Lethbridge in the winter? Cause you might want to consider a awd too. I live in Calgary and I got g37xs sedan and I'm lovin' it in the snow.

Quick Reply: Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?