Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

how hard is it to install factory OEM rear deck spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
AnJing408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is it to install factory OEM rear deck spoiler?

thinking about picking this up at the dealership since it's only 10 minutes away and comes pre-painted in the color i need. How hard is it to installed? I'm not a professional or anything but i've installed intakes, add on lip kits, etc in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI...item2a08227ead
Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the new spoiler should come with a template to guide you where you drill your trunk however you'll need to seal off some left over holes from your chrome spoiler as the new spoiler doesn't cover it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First of all, the spoiler that you posted states that there's no backup camera hole so make sure you get the right one.

Second of all, I actually just received and installed mine over the weekend. Took about two hours but I was being super careful because since you're drilling holes, if you get it wrong, there's no going back. Don't take it to the dealer. Mine didn't recommend that I install it myself because it required a "special" drill bit, which is BS. They wanted to charge me 2+ hours for installation too.

When I installed my spoiler, it came with little stickers (yes, stickers) to cover up the old holes from the chrome spoiler.

Since you mentioned that you've installed a lip, I'd assume that it's somewhat similar. Just take your time when lining up the template and you'll be fine. GL.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 PM
AnJing408

Originally Posted by OB G
First of all, the spoiler that you posted states that there's no backup camera hole so make sure you get the right one.

Second of all, I actually just received and installed mine over the weekend. Took about two hours but I was being super careful because since you're drilling holes, if you get it wrong, there's no going back. Don't take it to the dealer. Mine didn't recommend that I install it myself because it required a "special" drill bit, which is BS. They wanted to charge me 2+ hours for installation too.

When I installed my spoiler, it came with little stickers (yes, stickers) to cover up the old holes from the chrome spoiler.

Since you mentioned that you've installed a lip, I'd assume that it's somewhat similar. Just take your time when lining up the template and you'll be fine. GL.
i don't have the navi package so i don't have the rear camera hole which i'm glad in a way since the ones with the camera hole sells for $518. How hard was it to remove the stock chrome spoiler?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Weiboy718

^ remove the clips and carpet from the trunk lid. that will expose 4 8mm nuts. then you might have to use a little force to pull off the chrome spoiler because there is 2 clips.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
AnJing408

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
^ remove the clips and carpet from the trunk lid. that will expose 4 8mm nuts. then you might have to use a little force to pull off the chrome spoiler because there is 2 clips.
awesome, thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 AM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

did it in 45 minutes. not hard at all, read instructions and follow as ordered. also make sure the template is on perfectly, use plenty of tape, remeasure as well. the only scary part is drilling giant holes in your trunk, other than that, install was a breeze
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
It's not hard, take your time. Get some rust preventer paint to seal around the edges of the old holes and the freshly drilled new ones. You get complete instructions with the OEM spoiler kit. You also have to change out the trunk lid struts to stronger ones (comes with the OEM spoiler).
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
It's not hard, take your time. Get some rust preventer paint to seal around the edges of the old holes and the freshly drilled new ones. You get complete instructions with the OEM spoiler kit. You also have to change out the trunk lid struts to stronger ones (comes with the OEM spoiler).
Really? Ive not done this but I can't imagine the rear spoiler is heavy enough to require new trunk struts.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
OB G

Originally Posted by Gon37
Really? Ive not done this but I can't imagine the rear spoiler is heavy enough to require new trunk struts.
Yep the new struts are definitely stronger. I noticed before that the originals were struggling to get my trunk up with just the chrome lip. With the added weight of the new spoiler, and making it more top heavy (or front heavy...however you want to look at it), it requires the newer, heavier duty struts.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
OB G

Did you just copy and paste word for word what I said??

Who does that

Originally Posted by jerry0503214

Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
OnYourKnees

Originally Posted by AnJing408
i don't have the navi package so i don't have the rear camera hole which i'm glad in a way since the ones with the camera hole sells for $518. How hard was it to remove the stock chrome spoiler?

How much is the non camera version going for these days?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
AnJing408

Originally Posted by OnYourKnees
How much is the non camera version going for these days?
the link i provided is selling for $389 but maybe its because of the overstock in those 2 colors.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
apexi350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just finished the install myself for oem spoiler. it took me about 1 1/2 hrs. The OEM spoiler comes with spoiler, (2) trunk structs, templates, 2 plastic holders, 3 nuts, 2 screws, 3rd brake wire, and some stickers.

Make sure you follow ever steps in the instruction, the longest part is to drill MULTIPLE holes on your trunk. There are two different sizes to drill.

When you install the spoiler, just line up to the newly drilled holes, and snap it in. It may look like it won't snap in, but with a little force, it will.

The end result is worth it!!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
BlueOut
Banned

You'll are payin way to much for your spoiler, I paid 200.00 free shipping with brake light and camera hole..do good research before to purchase

Quick Reply: how hard is it to install factory OEM rear deck spoiler?