G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Finally making the plunge. What's the skinny with this G37 ad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM
SNsLude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally making the plunge. What's the skinny with this G37 ad?

Hey everyone,

I must have joined this forum to read some epic thread that spread like a wildfire to another forum I'm on as I don't ever remember joining this forum, let alone four years ago! Mods, hopefully this is the right place and okay as my first post for a four year lurker haha.

I got in to a car accident last Tuesday and the other insurance has accepted full liability. My car is probably going to be totaled. I've decided to start looking at used g37s's and I stumbled across this guy today:

2008 Infiniti G37 Sport, $22,994 - Cars.com

It's sitting at a franchise Toyota dealership and it's listed for well below KBB for its mileage and well below the competing prices for similar models with even higher mileage. I briefly spoke with a sales rep online and she said it has a clean title.

I just picked up a rental car so I'll probably scope it out some time this week. Can any of you pick up any red flags as to why it's so cheap? Too good to be true? Anything I should be looking at with this year/model?

Thanks in advance
-Steven
Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Itchytoe

It does not have navigation, which would make it a harder sell. Why buy a $40,000 vehicle and not get navigation? I always look for navigation. Might not use it much, but it's nice to have when you're out of town and hungry.

Maybe it's got a bad clutch, or a cylinder that's knocking, or some other random issue. Test drive and mechanic inspection can tell you a lot that a dealership won't.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would say best thing to do is get the VIN number and run it through Infiniti database to see what kind or type of service it's been done. i would look for repeated problems instead of minor problems. lastly def run the VIN number through carfax, pay that extra $20.00 even if the dealer provides you with one. If you have a friend who knows anything about cars bring him along for the test drive. another thing you gotta look for is mismatched painted on the panels, best thing to do is park the car in the sun and start looking for it. don't buy it on a rainy day!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
CarFax says its had 2 owners with 1st one being a lease. The 2nd owner only had it for 10 mos. Maybe there was something wrong with the vehicle?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM
SNsLude

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
It does not have navigation, which would make it a harder sell. Why buy a $40,000 vehicle and not get navigation? I always look for navigation. Might not use it much, but it's nice to have when you're out of town and hungry.

Maybe it's got a bad clutch, or a cylinder that's knocking, or some other random issue. Test drive and mechanic inspection can tell you a lot that a dealership won't.
Ah thanks. Didn't catch that through all the tl;dr on the ad.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
i would say best thing to do is get the VIN number and run it through Infiniti database to see what kind or type of service it's been done. i would look for repeated problems instead of minor problems. lastly def run the VIN number through carfax, pay that extra $20.00 even if the dealer provides you with one. If you have a friend who knows anything about cars bring him along for the test drive. another thing you gotta look for is mismatched painted on the panels, best thing to do is park the car in the sun and start looking for it. don't buy it on a rainy day!!!
Didn't know you could check that information on their site. Also, "even if the dealer provides you with one", if it's provided online, are you alluding that they are fake or not complete?

Thanks for the info fellas.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My car was leased and returned within 10 months. They moved up to a new maxima due to an incoming baby. Not exactly abnormal for this kind of stuff to happen.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM
SNsLude

Hmm... I'm having a hard time finding this Infiniti Database to check service records that Weiboy is talking about.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
hmm Not to sure check the Infiniti data base like someone else said. But the price is not that
low. I looked at a 08 sport 6SPD for 19k. But has 62k miles. For a 30k mile car price looks right.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Soliditude

The Infiniti Database can only be checked at an Infiniti dealer. Bring them the VIN, they will run it through and see what's been done to it at the dealer. Most of all, when looking at the car, definitely take someone with you who knows about cars. A mechanic, a body-shop guy, or just a friend that knows stuff. Test drive it, at least! It's not weird in any way if the car was a lease and then someone ran it for 10 months. When I bought my G35, I only had it for two months before luckily finding a G37 deal that was too good to miss, so I traded it. There's nothing wrong with dates and stuff. 30k with two drivers seems very common.

EDIT: If you look closely at the pictures, two of the wheels are curbed pretty badly--one less than the other. That is also why they might've put a lower price tag. Watch for the car to be in good alignment during the test drive. Don't quote me on this, but it seems that the gaps of the trunk are slightly different; the left side seems to be a bit more gapped. Bring a body shop guy. Also, open up the trunk, lift everything and examine the under-space where the extra tire lies along with the tools. Take them all out and look for signs of repairs. Usually, no matter how good a repair might be, its evidence will be visible. It might be perfectly fine, but it never hurts to check. After all, it might just be a good deal--keeping in mind the curbed rims.

Last edited by Soliditude; 11-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Soliditude
The Infiniti Database can only be checked at an Infiniti dealer. Bring them the VIN, they will run it through and see what's been done to it at the dealer. Most of all, when looking at the car, definitely take someone with you who knows about cars. A mechanic, a body-shop guy, or just a friend that knows stuff. Test drive it, at least! It's not weird in any way if the car was a lease and then someone ran it for 10 months. When I bought my G35, I only had it for two months before luckily finding a G37 deal that was too good to miss, so I traded it. There's nothing wrong with dates and stuff. 30k with two drivers seems very common.
Thanks! ^^^

there's no online database. you can get most of those info at any infiniti dealership. sorry! should've been clearer
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM
phreekeeG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i test drove this car in July. the main thing that sticks in my mind is that it had a LOT of scratches on the trunk lid. there was also some sort of strange discoloration on the rear passenger seat. (more like the texture was not the same as the rest of the interior.) sort of like someone tried to clean the leather and ruined it in the process... large splotchy area, like something had spilled/spewed/hurled on the seat..
Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 AM
MurderedG37s

Its on the lower end but that is how much the 08's are worth now. Up north, they are going for 20-21 at auction with nav/tech and 20k miles. Its crazy. I mean RWD cars in the northeast are not doing particularly well at auction now too but damn...Its kinda effed up
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 AM
SNsLude

Originally Posted by Soliditude

EDIT: If you look closely at the pictures, two of the wheels are curbed pretty badly--one less than the other. That is also why they might've put a lower price tag. Watch for the car to be in good alignment during the test drive. Don't quote me on this, but it seems that the gaps of the trunk are slightly different; the left side seems to be a bit more gapped. Bring a body shop guy. Also, open up the trunk, lift everything and examine the under-space where the extra tire lies along with the tools. Take them all out and look for signs of repairs. Usually, no matter how good a repair might be, its evidence will be visible. It might be perfectly fine, but it never hurts to check. After all, it might just be a good deal--keeping in mind the curbed rims.
Great eye. I'm too busy lookin and shuffling through ads that I'm glazing over the small details. Good reminder to keep me on my toes. Appreciate the extra pair of eyes.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Thanks! ^^^

there's no online database. you can get most of those info at any infiniti dealership. sorry! should've been clearer
Originally Posted by phreekeeG
i test drove this car in July. the main thing that sticks in my mind is that it had a LOT of scratches on the trunk lid. there was also some sort of strange discoloration on the rear passenger seat. (more like the texture was not the same as the rest of the interior.) sort of like someone tried to clean the leather and ruined it in the process... large splotchy area, like something had spilled/spewed/hurled on the seat..
Thanks a whole bunch fellas. Outstanding info!

I'll put this ad on the backburner then. There are definitely a few other G37s's I've been looking at. I hope you guys won't mind if I bug you with them in the coming weeks. It's either going to be a used G37s or a brand new Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Last edited by SNsLude; 11-21-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
apcrump

Originally Posted by SNsLude
It's either going to be a used G37s or a brand new Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
Be carefully with the Gen Coupe.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
The Rabbi

One other thing that stood out to me on the CarFax is that the second owner took it in to get the engine/powertrain inspected and then listed it for sale 20 miles later. Granted, we have no idea what that inspection turned up but that's a major red flag there.

Ditto what apcrump said about the Gen Coupe.

Quick Reply: Finally making the plunge. What's the skinny with this G37 ad?