G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Terrible resale values for 08 G?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the OP, just low ball the M3 that you want to buy. Most dealer will work something out with you if they want the sale. And if you are shock at the loss of value of the G, the M3 lost of value 4 years from now will be shocking too.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
That's why I decided early on that I would not sell of trade my car unless I found myself in a very tight spot and that was the only way I could get money. I'll just keep modding and go TT down the road.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cars are terrible investments. 50% depreciation in 4 years is not that bad. The G actually held its value very well this past year so it's natural that it depreciated a bit more after next year's model came out.

You should look up how much masserati's depreciate in matter of two to three years! I would really hate it if I bought a car for 145k and it's worth 55k in 3 years!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want better resale, get a 6mt

Trading-in leaves money on the table for the dealership. They'll turn around and put a 26-27k price on the car.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjasonSU
4 years, 50% that's about right
5 years old now that the '12s are out, so 50% is pretty good.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Cars are terrible investments. 50% depreciation in 4 years is not that bad. The G actually held its value very well this past year so it's natural that it depreciated a bit more after next year's model came out.

You should look up how much masserati's depreciate in matter of two to three years! I would really hate it if I bought a car for 145k and it's worth 55k in 3 years!

You gotta remember, depreciation is mostly based on the market for used cars. People who buy a Masserati buy them new. That's why all of those 100K+ cars depreciate like that. There is no used market for them.
Take something like a Civic on the other hand, which has a huge used market, and you'll see far less depreciation. All about supply and demand with depreciation.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Dealers always offer about 5k -8k off.. and plus.. if you think the G has horrible resale.. watch your M3 in 2 years or so LOL.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 AM
RadMav

IF the accident showed up on Carfax I'm sure they factored that in. They knocked $3000 off the trade in value on My wife's car for an accident. Just be glad you didn't by a Bugatti Veyron. You can get a great deal on a used one only about $800,000 now just make sure it's got new tires because they'll set you back the cost of a new G.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RadMav
IF the accident showed up on Carfax I'm sure they factored that in. They knocked $3000 off the trade in value on My wife's car for an accident. Just be glad you didn't by a Bugatti Veyron. You can get a great deal on a used one only about $800,000 now just make sure it's got new tires because they'll set you back the cost of a new G.
And do you think they knocked $3000 off the price to the next guy that bought it from them for the dirty carfax?? Pretty F*#ked up, just another way to scam us out of our hard earned money....
Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM
s2ktoEvo

Has nothing to do with anything most of you guys said, except depending on how much damage was done does effect trade-in value. But it also has to do with it being FREAKING NOVEMBER and trying to sell a RWD coupe in the winter. In the spring you'll get better offers because they can move the car easier.

Every month a car sits on a lot they lose money. They have to insure the car, and 95% of the time they are using a loan to buy your trade-in so they are also paying interest on it. So knowing that the market for these cars is slim at best in the winter months, they won't offer much. The good news if your looking to buy one it's the best time because a lot of the times they'll heavily discount it knowing it may sit for 2 more months before someone else is interested.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Very valid point(s). I just put my bike up for sale on CL, and as expected, no bites. I'll probably refresh the post every few weeks, but don't really expect any serious buyers until late feb or sometime in march.

Snow tires + rwd = fun! Too bad most don't see it that way.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 PM
RadMav

It may be partially correct but it DOES NOT APPLY In So Cal. and we are seeing the same thing
Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well the G ride is sold. I'm now the proud papa of a 2012 M3. With an expected late December or early January with delivery at BMW performance center. Man I am soooo excited. Bought the car sight unseen and with NO TEST drive. No dealer has one that hasn't already been sold. Closest I've gotten thus far is test driving a 335is
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
Has nothing to do with anything most of you guys said, except depending on how much damage was done does effect trade-in value. But it also has to do with it being FREAKING NOVEMBER and trying to sell a RWD coupe in the winter. In the spring you'll get better offers because they can move the car easier.

Every month a car sits on a lot they lose money. They have to insure the car, and 95% of the time they are using a loan to buy your trade-in so they are also paying interest on it. So knowing that the market for these cars is slim at best in the winter months, they won't offer much. The good news if your looking to buy one it's the best time because a lot of the times they'll heavily discount it knowing it may sit for 2 more months before someone else is interested.
This. I was told that exactly from two different Infiniti dealers.. Both offered me $20k for mine and said that they were basically "Auction Prices" as they would have a VERY difficult time selling a rear wheel drive car in the winter.

Originally Posted by blackfunk
Well the G ride is sold. I'm now the proud papa of a 2012 M3. With an expected late December or early January with delivery at BMW performance center. Man I am soooo excited. Bought the car sight unseen and with NO TEST drive. No dealer has one that hasn't already been sold. Closest I've gotten thus far is test driving a 335is
Congrats man!! Specs, color? Please post pics when you get it!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:25 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jarborn1
This. I was told that exactly from two different Infiniti dealers.. Both offered me $20k for mine and said that they were basically "Auction Prices" as they would have a VERY difficult time selling a rear wheel drive car in the winter.

Congrats man!! Specs, color? Please post pics when you get it!!

I ordered Space Gray, with Fox Red Leather (its more of a Deep Clay red, almost like Saddle brown) but to be honest I'm struggling with the Red color - I had safe black selected initially and I might just play it safe. But pics will follow shortly.

Quick Reply: Terrible resale values for 08 G?