Sponsored By:

Infiniti vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
I personally chose the G over the Z because:

-It simply looks better
-Long term I could justify not trading it once we have our kids and it s working so far
-I wanted an entry luxury brand over straight sport.
-For buying it brand new and fully loaded, I got a real good deal and a box of Infiniti cookies. I'm pretty sure you don't get a box of Nissan cookies when you buy a Z
Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
BB is partially correct here. One can argue that the 1st-First generation Maxima as being the first and last coupe of the lineage. It was called a Bluebird Maxima and was also sold as a Datsun.
Not in the US market. The Datsun 810 sold in the US from 77-80 was never called a Maxima in this market.

What is considered the first generation Maxima in the US (81-84) had 4 doors then and has ever since.

I guess you can make the argument that the 810 was called a Bluebird Maxima in other countries (mostly just known as the Bluebird though). But that's reaching Mike.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still trying to come to grips with the OP's idea that the Altima coupe looks like the G coupe. Not in my mind... at all
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
QX4cor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was more talking about what tejas mentioned, body styling. I wasn't talking platform really.
Your normal consumer who knows that Infiniti is the luxury line of Nissan would compare the Murano to the FX, EX to the rogue, etc. Similar shape, size, function, etc. I realize not ever car has a "version" of both, but was more comparing what consumers would look at as the upgraded version of a Nissan, if their bank account allowed. If you loved the M but couldn't afford it, what Nissan would you go with, understand you're not getting an M, haha, you know? Although I understand that the Z and G share the same platform, I'm pretty certain that if you lined up 2011 G, Z, and altima, the majority of consumers would say the G and altima were the closest match.
I guess the post really is aimed a a small percentage of people on thus site, they're just the ones posting the most pics, lol.
Just seems like the performance look and feel, with all the body kits, and intakes and exhausts was the main goal on this site over luxury. I guess I usually consider luxury about the smooth ride and plush interior. Havent seen alot of posts about custom interiors and what not.... the aluminum is kinda whack. Had it in the first FX, '10 has black. Luxury.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
I'm still trying to come to grips with the OP's idea that the Altima coupe looks like the G coupe. Not in my mind... at all
The side profile of the altima coupe is quite similar to the G I know because I have caught myself doing double takes when an altima coupe rolls by.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
trp244

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by QX4cor
I was more talking about what tejas mentioned, body styling. I wasn't talking platform really.
Your normal consumer who knows that Infiniti is the luxury line of Nissan would compare the Murano to the FX, EX to the rogue, etc. Similar shape, size, function, etc. I realize not ever car has a "version" of both, but was more comparing what consumers would look at as the upgraded version of a Nissan, if their bank account allowed. If you loved the M but couldn't afford it, what Nissan would you go with, understand you're not getting an M, haha, you know? Although I understand that the Z and G share the same platform, I'm pretty certain that if you lined up 2011 G, Z, and altima, the majority of consumers would say the G and altima were the closest match.
I guess the post really is aimed a a small percentage of people on thus site, they're just the ones posting the most pics, lol.
Just seems like the performance look and feel, with all the body kits, and intakes and exhausts was the main goal on this site over luxury. I guess I usually consider luxury about the smooth ride and plush interior. Havent seen alot of posts about custom interiors and what not.... the aluminum is kinda whack. Had it in the first FX, '10 has black. Luxury.
I mean really... does this guy know how to party or what?!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Meanie

Reasons for getting a G?

1. Got a kid so needed a back seat.

2. Live in New England, and car must be DD, so prefer AWD.

3. Wife said her parents have to fit in back (not that they probably ever will) so needed a sedan.

4. I'm at a stage in life where I prefer a some luxury touches and tech goodies.

5. Been driving Toyotas for years, so wanted reliability.

Never really considered a Z, if not for winter would look at Boxster or Vette. Did consider an Altima Hybrid until the tax writeoff expired. Like the looks of the Maxima, but reviews suggest it is a bit of a poser while the G is universally considered a true sports sedan. Haven't regretted the decision yet and after 4 months still love to drive it.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
This discussion revolves around the fact that Infiniti is the luxury branch of Nissan. In that regard we’re all a bit snobbish and that’s why we prefer the Infiniti nameplate. We pay a bit more, but we get many benefits, including appointments and other frills not available in the Nissan brand.

Many of us started with Nissans, and graduated to Infinitis. That’s the whole reason why the Infiniti branch, and Lexus cars for that matter, were introduced. Enjoy your Infiniti, for in the absence of your ever being able to afford a Ferrari, Aston Martin or a Bentley, it says in some way you’ve arrived.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
This discussion revolves around the fact that Infiniti is the luxury branch of Nissan. In that regard we’re all a bit snobbish and that’s why we prefer the Infiniti nameplate. We pay a bit more, but we get many benefits, including appointments and other frills not available in the Nissan brand.

Many of us started with Nissans, and graduated to Infinitis. That’s the whole reason why the Infiniti branch, and Lexus cars for that matter, were introduced. Enjoy your Infiniti, for in the absence of your ever being able to afford a Ferrari, Aston Martin or a Bentley, it says in some way you’ve arrived.
Truthfully, I might have bought a Maxima if it was RWD. The Infiniti being similar to the Nissan Z and having RWD was a no-brainer decision.

Although some people may buy Infiniti for it's status over Nissan, the Infiniti does not carry the attitude that people perceive of BMW or MB.
Although BMW and MB are great cars and I checked out both of them, I just could not picture myself driving one, partially for that reason...the Infiniti is a little more subtle than BMW and MB...and usually more realiable with lower maintenance costs.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Soliditude
Nobody chooses a G over a Z because they have two extra seats, although this is a factor.
I wanted a Z and the wife did as well but she really couldn't get past the fact it didn't have a back seat...............this really was what got us looking into G's as I told her they were basicly the same excecpt one was more luxurious. I personally liked the Z Nismo better. The other thing we were pretty set on the Nismo's but she couldn't get past the MT. That was another factor pushing us towards the G IPL. Anyway the main thing was the back seat, and we compromised between us till we were both happy. Now I am back looking at Nismos again and still might end up with one.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Only diff. Beyeeen the z / g are.
Z 2 seater g has 4 seater.
Z has no sunroof g, its at least an option.
Dont think other has factory nav, or at least i have never seen one with nav.
Fit & finish z is all plastic very cheap feel to it.
Ride quality is worse in the z, g feels more refined.
Last but not least if yours z goes in for warranty, your on ypur own.
Infiniti gives you a loaner(have had to use quite a bit)
Imo g will hold valúe better.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 370Z actually has very nice fit/finish and interior materials. It certainly is leaps and bounds above the 350Z.

As for the loaner thing, I'm sure that Nissan will hook you up with a loaner. Just don't expect a 370Z loaner lol! You'll probably get a sentra loaner.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Perhaps it’s not true anymore, but when the first G35 coupe was introduced in 2003, the following fantasy story about the subtly of it appeared in a car magazine:

There once was a party where all new cars were invited. The 350Z came in like a cheerleader shouting, “Hey everybody, look at me.” Later, a G35 coupe quietly came in through a side door. In a short time everyone turned around and asked, “Who is that?”
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Itchytoe

The Z is more flashy than the G. I think that in 10 years, the Z will look very dated but the G won't. The Z looks very much like a tuner car, while the G looks like it's older sibling. Kinda like the difference between a Lotus and a Porsche; one is young and raw, while the other is more sophisticated, but still has a wild side. The G has a much more timeless look to it, like the Porsche cars. They haven't changed much in the last 50 years, but they still look good.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Z and G while similar, were built for 2 different purposes. The Z drives and handles like a sports car, like it should. The G drives and handles like a luxury coupe. I like both for their different attributes.
If you try to compare them, they really are two different type cars that share a similar platform. Track them and the Z out performs the G. For comfort, the G out performs the Z.

Quick Reply: Infiniti vs. Nissan