Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

IPL dilemma please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
jaahhnn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
I know I'm late on this. The only people who should by a G manual are experienced with manuals. And also are spirited drivers. If your not both then you'll be replacing your clutch soon and will never enjoy the car for what its capable of. For performance, stick beats auto and runs cooler! For Racing auto will beat stick if you have a tricked out tranny. The G stock isnt!
My friend that has 370Z told me my clutch is so light and easy so I am not sure why you say that. I am not a racer or really plan to do anything except clear bra and tint for now.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^You'll be fine after 3 weeks man. And if the clutch goes out so fast, the dealership will replace. Of course there is a small chance they'll be a holes and not, but then you go to another dealer.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
koa789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know i'm late on this as well, but the G37 6MT has one of the worst clutches I have ever experienced. It is very difficult to drive smoothly. It's a luxury car, and if I was to buy one again, I'd get the auto. If you want a manual so you can go fly around a track, get something else, like a 370z or a mustang gt. The 7 AT is not only smoother, it has better gas mileage. Also, you can always manually shift it when you are beating on it, you can never put a manual into auto mode for every day driving.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 AM
jaahhnn

I was practicing on the on a hill and smelled burn clutch because I was riding it. Im gonna practice on my dads g35 for a bit before I drive my IPL. dont wanna risk any damage =/
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 AM
breftayka

While on a hill start off leaving the ebrake on until you feel the car start moving forward, then release the ebake. It helped me starting off. Now it's easy... Once you hit that friction point just release it a little further and you can give it more gas. You will smell the clutch a lot starting out, but it's ok. Just part of getting used to the car.

Do a lot of feeling out the clutch. Put it in first and keep releasing and pressing the clutch, so you get an idea where the friction point is. Once you find that start feeling out the accelerator. I try to get the rpms to 1200-1500 before starting out, as you release the clutch the RPMs will start to slow which is where you start to give more gas.

If you ever feel the car trying to stall, just push down on the clutch. I'm sure you know most of these things, but just in case.

Trust me, you will get it. I remember starting out at stop lights felt so discouraging because grandmas in their automatics were taking off faster and smoother than me. After 2-3 days, I felt like I would never get it and was worried I made the wrong decision, and now I am telling you the same thing several people told me.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been driving manuals most of my life. After owning a 6MT car for 4 years I was ready to give up the third pedal. The constant shifting and clutch work on Hawaii heavy traffic sure gets old.

But when it's time to have fun with the car I wish I got a manual. But I still prefer the comfort of the AT. Plus the floppy paddles can be fun, especially with rev matching downshifts.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 AM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have owned nearly all manuals in the past and I still prefer the 7AT in the G. This is not a true sports car but rather a cruiser in my eyes. Yes the 6mt is more engaging but thats the only advantage IMHO. Modern auto transmissions are not the slushboxes of yesteryear. In the G37...AT is typically a smidge faster, definetely more consistant, butter smooth usually, allows you "tolerate" traffic, and actually has decent paddle/manual shift response, (might get slightly better MPG?). My last car...370Z 6mt w/rev-match (very cool). New car...G37 7AT. I prefer the auto ***in this car*** wouldnt want it in the Z
Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 AM
aria_blackG

you realize the auto comes with paddle shifters......lol
Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
breftayka

^^^ How fun?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
CoolMike

Malbec Black, Red interior with 7 Speed Auto

I have owned my IPL for a month now. Getting alot of double takes from people checking it out. The 7 speed was right for me. I like to lay back and cruise. Smooth shifting. If I am not mistaken you can only get the Red interior with a 7 speed auto. I wanted the red. The paddle shifters are nice.
Attached Thumbnails IPL dilemma please help-img00050-20110619-1746.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
NYCMaxima

Man if I had an IPL, Lowering Springs + Nice set of Vossens =
Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by NYCMaxima
Man if I had an IPL, Lowering Springs + Nice set of Vossens =
+1

At least get it lowered. I don't like the way the IPL looks stock. But when lowered it complements the whole look and the car now looks like the body kit truly belongs on it. Add aftermarket wheels like Vossens and that's the icing on the cake.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,612 Likes on 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by jaahhnn
this will be my first manual car and only car. do u still recommend manual?
Glad you chose fun over the familiar. Good for you.

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
The only people who should by a G manual are experienced with manuals. And also are spirited drivers. If your not both then you'll be replacing your clutch soon and will never enjoy the car for what its capable of.
That's total nonsense, and more than a little arrogant. As long as he has someone experienced with MT cars teach him the ropes, he'll be absolutely fine.

Besides, it's a ridiculously heavy, luxury sport-coupe that just about anybody can drive. This isn't NASCAR. Cut the guy some slack.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 AM
jaahhnn

Originally Posted by Rochester
Glad you chose fun over the familiar. Good for you.

That's total nonsense, and more than a little arrogant. As long as he has someone experienced with MT cars teach him the ropes, he'll be absolutely fine.

Besides, it's a ridiculously heavy, luxury sport-coupe that just about anybody can drive. This isn't NASCAR. Cut the guy some slack.
thank for the support. I am definitely glad i got manual!