G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??

Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 PM
beattyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??

I recently wrote to the Formspring site that Infiniti is taking questions about their IPL and asked them if they asked car clubs, G enthusiasts, or reviewed the G forums to gain feedback about upcoming changes in the models. They wrote back saying that they did consult car clubs, enthusiasts and the forums and very much value their opinion in forming the changes for upcoming models. However, I don't think they could possibly have done that with the IPL (due to the ugly side skirts, front lower bumper, slight increase in horsepower, etc). So, lets tell Infiniti what we would like to see in the next G and see if they are listening. And if someone from Infiniti is reading this, please post a response so that we know you are listening!

The new G coupe should be coming out in the next couple of years I think, given their typical model change timelines. I have a 2009 G37S coupe and LOVE it. However, there is always room for improvement...

My thoughts?
1. Lose that horrible abrupt front air dam and side skirts that is on the new IPL and go back to smoother cleaner lines. I know the design is supposed to keep the car firmly on the ground, but I think we would rather have a decent looking car and chance becoming airborne if that is the alternative. Take a few design thoughts from the new 370Z... particularly the wide rear finder wells.
2. Work on the interior. The leather seats are not the best quality (putting it lightly) and some of the plastic needs to disappear (dashboard). Some rubber is needed in places...the cup holders tend to be loud when plastic containers are in them and the sunglass holder rattles all the time if sunglasses are actually in them. And lose that horrible tanish / brown dashboard. Too muddy looking.
3. Engine... Well, I know there are plenty of people that want a huge engine in the car but for me personally, 330 horsepower is fine. Continue to work on the miles / gallon though. Might be cool to offer a turbo model but I know Nissan's history with turbos and they probably want to stay away from them.

Ok, anyone else have thoughts for Infiniti???
Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am happy with my Infiniti, but if I could ask for more...

Give me less horsepower and more low rpm torque.

Work on the throttle mapping to there is something in between barely costing and all out.

Widen the sedan sport seats, they are too narrow.

Offer a full sports package on the AWD cars.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
1) more torque
2) more choice of interior colors.. i.e. seat, leathers, trim etc.
3) LOOSE the beige headliner, pillars, plastic pieces.
4) more exterior color choices, we need a true metallic charcoal/grey.
5) rattling issues, everyone has them.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Agree with most thats been said and also lose the throttle restriction at least on the sport model and tune fpr a snoother power band.

Engine would be great with direct injection and turbos are always welcome
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I love my G and only complaint is the POWER we need turbos to outrun those damn 335is. Ither than that I live the G37S But underpowered compared to most cars.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope Infiniti is listening.

I love my G37 coupe but i dont mind the extra torque!

and remove all the lags that making the car slower
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
BlackG37Coupe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seat quality, throttle response, low end torque are my only complaints.

But in their defense, it is one of the best cars for the money. the 335i coupe comes at what a 7k or 8k premium? Go buy a stillen supercharger kit with the money saved and call it a day.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
CateyeRR

Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
I love my G and only complaint is the POWER we need turbos to outrun those damn 335is. Ither than that I live the G37S But underpowered compared to most cars.
The g is definitely not underpowered compared to most cars, it is far above average. Maybe if you compared it to the luxury/sport segment only, it runs mid-pack. That being said, I wouldn't complain about more hp/torque

I think the interior is excellent especially compared to the first generation G's, but yes the seat quality and rattles could use some improvements. Remember that this is an ENTRY level luxury vehicle, they can't cover everything in baby seal skin and diamonds at this price point.

My biggest gripe: smoother clutch! Something that is a little easier to feather in at the engagement point and not jerk passengers around would be nice.

Also, improve the ipod and phone bluetooth interfaces, and fix the music box. Scrolling through a thousand artists with the scroll wheel is impossible. I've never uploaded anything to the music box hard drive because it would take FOREVER. Not sure if these issues were addressed in the '10 model though.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
kschwar1

Originally Posted by CateyeRR
My biggest gripe: smoother clutch! Something that is a little easier to feather in at the engagement point and not jerk passengers around would be nice.
+1 bazillion

I dont find the car to be jerky, but the chattering on engagement is unreal, and then to be told its normal...

Make the car feel like it is going to last longer than the 12k miles some people are getting..
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Improve paint quality.
2. Improve gear shift response time.
3. Make the sedan 2" wider.

With the above improvements, you have a winner.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM
kschwar1

yeah forgot about paint quality... that is miserable on this car... I've never seen a car with such thin paint...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
You get what you pay for. The G is the value buy in the segment... that cost difference has to come from somewhere. Nissan is here ultimately to make money.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
- Driving options Maybe adding a few drive modes that would adjust throttle response, valve timing, suspension, gear shifting in auto handling, and brake response:
Confort, cruise, city, sport, track for example, and cruise control for Japan please!
- Design: maybe some straight lines, but Nissan doesn't seem to heading that direction
- Interior: less plastic!
- Engine: A V8 option would be nice
- Drivetrain: Now hear this, Nissan: TAKE THE DAMN DOUBLE CLUTCH TRANNY FROM THE GTR AND GIVE IT TO US!!!! Yes, I said it! Give me that double clutch NOOOOOWWW!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ you just increased the car's price by 30k
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just direct the next generation G37 Coupe Product Manager to this thread!

My suggestions:

1) 350 HP and a lot more torque with a flatter torque curve.
2) Better quality materials for the interior.
3) Eliminate the annoying interior rattles and squeaks.
4) More rear leg room and head room (on par with the BMW 3 series).
5) Get rid of the ashtray. Add more interior storage space.
6) A more aggressive sounding exhaust.
7) More exciting exterior colors (see Audi and BMW).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??