Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lost key fob, but still have the actual key

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Mantis3024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost key fob, but still have the actual key

So I walked up to my car this morning and pressed the button on the handle and no beep. I freaked out and pulled my keys out of my pocket and they were there, cept the fob had slipped off the key. So, my question is if I get a replacement fob, do I need to get that programmed or can I just slip it over the actual key and use it?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It has to be programmed. And you better be prepared to shell out alot of money
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Mantis3024

err..another question. Does the actual key need to be in the fob to start the car? Or can you unlock and start the car with just the fob?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You do not need the key. All you need is the fob. So yes, if someone found your fob, they can unlock your car and drive away with it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

The key itself is only used to manually unlock the door if your battery died. Then you put the fob itself in the little slot on the left side of the steering wheel to start up the car.

The key can also be used for the glove box lock.. thats pretty much it i think.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I would act quickly.

I lost the key on our Pathfinder. Nissan was actualy able to make it so that the lost key fob and key wouldn't work on the car anymore (so they said).
I bought a new fob and new blank key. I was able to reprogram the fob myself. But I had to key my new key and spare key reprogrammed together. I'm not sure how this will work with an ikey though.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
The key itself is only used to manually unlock the door if your battery died. Then you put the fob itself in the little slot on the left side of the steering wheel to start up the car.

The key can also be used for the glove box lock.. thats pretty much it i think.
Not quite. For valet parking the manual suggests you turn the trunk release power switch, located in the glove compartment, to off and then lock the glove compartment with the mechanical key that you would take with you. This will prevent anyone from either opening the trunk or glove compartment even if they have the fob.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov
Not quite. For valet parking the manual suggests you turn the trunk release power switch, located in the glove compartment, to off and then lock the glove compartment with the mechanical key that you would take with you. This will prevent anyone from either opening the trunk or glove compartment even if they have the fob.

Unless they find the red loop under the back seat that folds the back seat down. FTL
Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NotUrG
Unless they find the red loop under the back seat that folds the back seat down. FTL
You're right. Let's hope that a typical valet parker doesn't know about that.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
So I walked up to my car this morning and pressed the button on the handle and no beep. I freaked out and pulled my keys out of my pocket and they were there, cept the fob had slipped off the key. So, my question is if I get a replacement fob, do I need to get that programmed or can I just slip it over the actual key and use it?
Ebay.com my man, dont buy the fob at the dealer, you will get raped at the dealer for that fob. buy it on ebay and have it programmed at the dealer.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
$45 bucks on eBay. The dealer will charge you $100 to reprogram (there are ways around this if you can figure it out), and you need to take all fobs and have them all done at the same time.

I don't know if KAHBOOM is talking about the ikey because I'm pretty sure only the dealer can program them. The standard fobs are diy.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
My mistake. i never let anybody drive my car.. let alone a Valet worker.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NotUrG
What the? We have a red loop under our back seat that folds the seat down? Since when?

For the record, I seriously DIDN'T know that

Cool.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:23 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gamedog
What the? We have a red loop under our back seat that folds the seat down? Since when?

Its about center of the back seat. Reach in between the top and bottom of the seat and you'll feel it. When I took delivery of my car, mine was sticking out, so I knew it was there since day one. I have since tried to tuck it back in and hide it from view. Red loop FTMFL
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you guys are getting replacements on ebay, be sure they are not customer returns from the recall - or only buy from reputable sellers.

Quick Reply: Lost key fob, but still have the actual key