nogoodname
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ never...lol
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Speeder

Originally Posted by machinist
If you wanna get an Infiniti, I'll hook you up with the General Manager @ Willdowdale Infiniti. He's my personal contact through a good friend. I'll make sure he takes care of you.
I just invested in new set of tires for my car, so I'm keeping it till end of lease which is next September. But it would be nice to get a good deal. I've heard bad things about Willowdale service though, I think you're better off taking your car to Alta.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by Speeder
I just invested in new set of tires for my car, so I'm keeping it till end of lease which is next September. But it would be nice to get a good deal. I've heard bad things about Willowdale service though, I think you're better off taking your car to Alta.
Really? I guess I can only speak from personal experience, but I haven't had any issues at all so far...mind you it's only been 10 days since I bought the car. But at the same time, if I have a service issue, I call my buddy there and he'll do the red carpet treatment. I do cross promotions with them as well with my place of work so it's also in their best interest to keep me & my friends happy. So in case you ever need me to get you in touch with my guy, let me know whenever. Always good to have options.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Speeder

Thanks, that's good to know
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
Store-bought products are safe.

Any power buffing/orbital/PC type equipment will destroy the clear coat.

The clear coat is heat-activated, any buffing makes the paint VERY hot, effectively reverting the self-healing clear coat back to a regular clear coat.

Seriously? C'mon. A PC does not get my paint hot, not even to the touch. I'll tell you what does get it hot though -- the sun! I feared for my skin the few times I touched my black car that had sat out in the summer heat in a parking lot.

What kind of polisher have you used (and what pads and polish products) that made the paint hotter than the sun does?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Heat + abrasion will kill it.

My PC doesn't make my car very hot either, but it's still warm to the touch. I'd just follow Nissan/Infiniti's recommendation and not buff it.

This is like the debate about wether Matic-J fluid is required or not in the AT tranny.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
machinist

Hey Mike...just got off the phone with my local dealership and they said not to worry about the swirls b/c in the summer time, it'll go away cause it's warmer outside (those were his words). Are they deflecting the issue or is there truth to this statement?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
mal_TX

Heat + abrasion will kill it.

My PC doesn't make my car very hot either, but it's still warm to the touch. I'd just follow Nissan/Infiniti's recommendation and not buff it.

This is like the debate about wether Matic-J fluid is required or not in the AT tranny.
That begs the question -- how much abrasion was required to put the swirls into the paint to begin with? What sort of "damage" is that doing to the self-healing paint when the dealer swirls the car up before delivery to the buyer?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
It will swirl like any other clear coat.

The difference is the clear coat is not completely 'cured' and is still placid. With heat, it will 'shift' itself to fill in the gap (the swirl). If the clear coat is penetrated, it will not heal.

The coat itself is good for about 3 years before it reverts to a standard clear coat.

I am just passing on the information given to me from Infiniti, and what I've learned from personal experience.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
machinist

It will swirl like any other clear coat.

The difference is the clear coat is not completely 'cured' and is still placid. With heat, it will 'shift' itself to fill in the gap (the swirl). If the clear coat is penetrated, it will not heal.

The coat itself is good for about 3 years before it reverts to a standard clear coat.

I am just passing on the information given to me from Infiniti, and what I've learned from personal experience.
Very good info. Thanks for filling me in!