Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clarkson didn't understand the G-coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a little upset about them talking about our car like this. I think there are other brands of car that use high tech language for simple standard items, where Infiniti uses high tech language for high tech equipment.

Pluse judging by my British friends reaction to mine, I can assure you one will be sold over there.

end of rant.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 AM
SilverRSXJezus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soldier9599
... I think just about everyone else here agrees his opinions are stupid and ignorant, no need to call me stupid and ignorant.

I'm not trying to, and if this were from any other car show, I would completely agree with you guys.

But this is exactly what makes this show popular! He shows his love for certain cars and hates others.

You really think you're getting the short end of the stick with his hate? Check out their C6 vette review. Or better yet, Jeremy's all time hate for 911s, which he dubs them as a sports version of the VW Beatle. I would think THAT is a lot more insulting to a 911 driver as that is pretty much the epitome of a sports car.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

I don't feel insulted by anything. The fact of the matter just is that their opinions are stupid, whether it be for the 911 or for the Corvette or for the G; and I don't care to hear what they have to say because I know they are meaningless.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 AM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by soldier9599
I don't feel insulted by anything. The fact of the matter just is that their opinions are stupid, whether it be for the 911 or for the Corvette or for the G; and I don't care to hear what they have to say because I know they are meaningless.

Sure, and that is why you are supposed to watch Top Gear with the goal of entertainment, whether it be "stupid" or "smart" opinions, even though neither exist, and not be so serious while doing so
Old 11-06-2008, 03:13 AM
xo4ox

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
Sure, and that is why you are supposed to watch Top Gear with the goal of entertainment, whether it be "stupid" or "smart" opinions, even though neither exist, and not be so serious while doing so
im with you.. the show is great and i don't miss a single episode, and the things he said about the G its not entirely his fault they described allot about the technical stuff before they even talk about the engine and that's why he reacted that way lol

but none the less he shouldn't trash the car like this (but after all its Jeremy Clarkson we are talking about)

and that shirt he was wearing it was suppose to be a joke
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 AM
lakers8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after seeing his shirt, how can anyone take this guy's show seriously?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 AM
go4gr8

Really interesting comments here, fellas!

Some of you take him way too seriously. However, Clarkson's point is quite valid. Will there be more than one sold? Infiniti is an American brand and to bring it over to the UK - there will be some challenges. It's up against the usual suspects - 3-series, Audi, Lexus - and since being a new brand, he won't understand what it's like until it's been test-driven - which I really hope TG will do!

And to put my 2 cents in - the show is about the love of cars and being a Petrolhead. And with this comes big opinions not everyone will like. If you want objectivity and PC, stick with some American car show like Autoweek that has no personality giving you mundane, everyday facts you can get off the Internet.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Achilles

Wow, what a bunch of idiots? And I thought American TV was bad? I'm glad to see that our TV shows are not the only ones who place idiots on TV.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

It's the Monty Python of the car world. Typical British confused humor and you have to look beyond what they actually say if that's possible.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out their review of a caravan (travel trailer) to get an idea of the comedic nature of this show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B6srQTTEAA

The press was upset with that one. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...laze-fake.html

Here, they're just having fun with Infiniti's techno babble press release regarding the audio system.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Lastchance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't understand their shirts...haggy lookin blokes...looks like a gaysha.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM
the-moss

A sensitive bunch aren't we.

That press release was retarded, wasn't even well formed English. That's what they were really making fun of. Plus the fact that the stereo is considered a more important selling feature than the engine.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of the guy or the show but I don't see how he can say we should have bought a Lexus. The only coupe Lexus offers is $30,0000 dollars more than our coupe.

That press release was retarded, wasn't even well formed English.
I think it was the narrator who couldn't read.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by joeposter
Never heard of the guy or the show but I don't see how he can say we should have bought a Lexus. The only coupe Lexus offers is $30,0000 dollars more than our coupe.

I think it was the narrator who couldn't read.

Haha, since you haven't ever heard of the show or Jeremy Clarkson...I'll give you the background information.

Top Gear is a pretty widely famous and watched show across the world because it stands above and beyond, or at least it appears to be much more unique than the other automotive shows.

Other conventional automotive shows focus on two aspects:

Give a presentation of the car and a breakdown of the technical specifications, what options/amenities it has, and then the second part is to give a practical recommendation based one characteristics that would appeal to the buyer, such as this being sporty, being a great daily driver, bla bla bla.

Top Gear, with Jeremy Clarkson as one of the three hosts, instead focus on presenting the car almost like an art form, about what the car's image should be and focuses on describing all the senses he goes through while driving the car in the most subjective manner possible. Combined with the incredible cinematography that is second to none, the car reviews and whatnot are just pure sensory candy, whether it be visual, audio, or whatever. You don't even have to be a car lover to watch this show as most of it has done to be funny or with humor, as one can see with so many of his silly or ridiculous/ludicrous challenges, tests, and analogies. He's also known to be very politically incorrect and isn't afraid to say what's on his mind.

That said, people watch and enjoy the show for the pure entertainment thrill. If you want to take away something from the show, it would be that cars are meant to be enjoyed and that it goes above and beyond the standard review to hopefully show the viewer what might be a more substantial review by commenting on the intangibles of the car, which other automotive shows don't do.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
Haha, since you haven't ever heard of the show or Jeremy Clarkson...I'll give you the background information.

Top Gear is a pretty widely famous and watched show across the world because it stands above and beyond, or at least it appears to be much more unique than the other automotive shows.

Other conventional automotive shows focus on two aspects:

Give a presentation of the car and a breakdown of the technical specifications, what options/amenities it has, and then the second part is to give a practical recommendation based one characteristics that would appeal to the buyer, such as this being sporty, being a great daily driver, bla bla bla.

Top Gear, with Jeremy Clarkson as one of the three hosts, instead focus on presenting the car almost like an art form, about what the car's image should be and focuses on describing all the senses he goes through while driving the car in the most subjective manner possible. Combined with the incredible cinematography that is second to none, the car reviews and whatnot are just pure sensory candy, whether it be visual, audio, or whatever. You don't even have to be a car lover to watch this show as most of it has done to be funny or with humor, as one can see with so many of his silly or ridiculous/ludicrous challenges, tests, and analogies. He's also known to be very politically incorrect and isn't afraid to say what's on his mind.

That said, people watch and enjoy the show for the pure entertainment thrill. If you want to take away something from the show, it would be that cars are meant to be enjoyed and that it goes above and beyond the standard review to hopefully show the viewer what might be a more substantial review by commenting on the intangibles of the car, which other automotive shows don't do.
Well said, it's an entertainment god damn it.

Quick Reply: Clarkson didn't understand the G-coupe