Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Intelligent Key Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:51 AM
cullan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intelligent Key Question...

So I have been pondering this for a while now... let's see if anyone has a good idea on the matter.

So I like to surf on a regular basis. That means that I drive to the beach, put on a wetsuit, and lock my car when I leave. In the past I've never really had any issue because there is a key pocket in my wetsuit and it's been as simple as putting the key in there.

So... the intelligent key poses a bit of a problem. Obviously I can't submerge this in water. Yes, I can take the key out of the fob, lock the door, and bring the key with me. That means I need to leave the fob in the car though. The scary part is that even without the key in the fob the car can be started. So if someone were to just pop the lock and open the door they could start the car and drive away.

Is there anything that anyone can think of? This is a bit of an issue for me. My brother has a BMW and locks his fob in the glovebox. This works fine because you have to put the fob into the ignition before you drive off. Just the same I suppose if you're willing to break the door you'd be willing to break into the glovebox.

So if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti needs to make waterproof key fobs!

Here is a little baggie made exactly for this purpose! Waterproof to 150ft. Floats if lost in water.

I have used ziplog bags (double) before but only in the situation where I was getting very wet but not actually underwater. Obviously ziplog bags are on the sketchy side as far as reliability while surfing, so you need something more; but $20 is a bit much for a plastic bag (then again it can save you from having to buy a new key fob... or a car).

Maybe you can find something similar on that website (or somewhere else) that isn't necessarily made for keys but could still work for a lower price. Let us know if you do.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Bajeman

^^ Yeah I am pretty sure the Waterproof Floating Key Holder Pouch mentioned above works pretty well. I live in the caribbean and all the speed boat and jet ski operators use them for their cell phones.
I guess you can get it and test it underwater on something else and see how well it works.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
iprudence

Has anyone tested how far the range is for the key fob? You could possibly lock it in the trunk if this would put the fob out of working range?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by iprudence
Has anyone tested how far the range is for the key fob? You could possibly lock it in the trunk if this would put the fob out of working range?
Is it even possible to lock the fob in the trunk? When I try to close the trunk with the fob in it I get a beep sound and the trunk won't close.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cullan
Is it even possible to lock the fob in the trunk? When I try to close the trunk with the fob in it I get a beep sound and the trunk won't close.
No. Not possible.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No idea if this works but try using one of the anit static bags that block the ez-pass signals.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It would look like a POS, but a vacuum seal food saver bag would work. No need to ever cut it open when you get out of the water either.

You can get them at costco for your kitchen too!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
The1andOnly

Here's what I do when I go skimboarding: I actaully just take the key FOB itself, meaning I remove the physical key w/ the keychain and I leave that in the car, I just take the actual intelligent key w/ me. I then just wrap it with cling wrap. I'll take the key FOB wrapped and just put it in the small pocket of my wetsuit and it stays dry.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't tried, but possibly you could put the key fob in the engine compartment, near the front, while keeping the physical key in your wetsuit pocket. The key fob might be far enough away from the ignition to make the ignition inoperative. Of course, if someone saw you hide the fob, broke into the car and popped the hood, they could drive away with your G.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^Ummm... Yeah... Not a good idea IMO...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
cullan

There are some good ideas here. Thanks very much guys.

I was also just thinking that I could take one of my fobs and remove the battery from it. I could use that one for when I go surfing. I could lock the fob inside the glovebox. That way if someone broke in at least they couldn't start the car easily. They would have to know the fob was in the glovebox, break into it, and then insert it into the fob ignition "thing".

I am just worried because when the fob is locked in the car and you pull on the door handle it gives you a message about depressing the clutch on the info screen. I think that's just too much of a clue that the fob is in the car and it's ready to be started.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
SirFer

I surf at a spot notorious for break-ins, and some real aggro locals. I just got one of those little waterproof bags that seal up really tight and I keep it in the pocket of my baggies or tight to my back in my wetsuit. So far I haven't had it wash out on me or anything. A guy I know actually started a company that makes little lockboxes that you can have installed in your board. You'd have to have a shaper glass it in but it doesn't affect performance at all and basically it's like a little watertight box thats flush into your board that you can put money, keys, etc. in and not have to worry. I'm having trouble finding a link to it though so once I do I'll let you know.